Previous in Forum: Tracing the Ancient Skies   Next in Forum: Earth Formation-I Have Doubts Of The Theory
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83

NASA Needs Crater Counters

05/30/2010 1:37 PM

Spare time on your hands? Need a break from trying to solve pesky oil spill problems? Weary of fending off homework questions?

Help NASA interpret new high-res images of the lunar surface. Count some craters.

From the NASA press release:

No spacesuit or rocket ship is required—all visitors need to do is go to www.moonzoo.org and be among the first to see the lunar surface in unprecedented detail. New high-resolution images, taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC), offer exciting clues to unveil or reveal the history of the moon and our solar system.

"We need Web users around the world to help us interpret these stunning new images of the lunar surface," said Chris Lintott of Oxford University and chair of the Citizen Science Alliance. "If you only spend five minutes on the site counting craters you'll be making a valuable contribution to science and, who knows, you might run across a Russian spacecraft."

Scientists are particularly interested in knowing how many craters appear in a particular region of the moon in order to determine the age and depth of the lunar surface (regolith). Fresh craters left by recent impacts provide clues about the potential risks from meteor strikes on the moon and on Earth.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: NASA Needs Crater Counters

05/30/2010 1:58 PM

Hi Sue,

Just signed up and did a little counting. After the race I'm gonna go back and look around. That's a cool site.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #1

05/30/2010 2:11 PM

Yar, I just did a little counting myself. I hope that wasn't a piece of broken bathtub I just marked...

Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

05/31/2010 1:24 AM

Great site.

Thanks Sue

Reply to Forum Thread 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gsuhas (1); lyn (1); sue (1)

Previous in Forum: Tracing the Ancient Skies   Next in Forum: Earth Formation-I Have Doubts Of The Theory

Advertisement