Previous in Forum: Disappearing Taj Mahal Thread   Next in Forum: Why?
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Another Disappeared Thread??

06/03/2010 1:13 AM

The initial thread: "what connected kw is all abt??"

What is the problem with that?

My (I hope reasonable) reply:

This represents the total possible load that might be connected to an electrical distribution system. As such, it is a "worst case" scenario, which is good conservative thinking. However, among all the possible loads, there may be some combinations that don't occur all at once (working/standby equipment, interlocked equipment, diversity factors, etc.) In other words, there may be ways to know, or at least estimate, a total active load that is less than the total possible load. This is allowed for in various ways among the local codes you may need to follow.

What is the problem with that? (None possible that I know of, because I couldn't even post it to the yanked thread.)

Curiouser and curiouser....

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Re: Another Disappeared Thread??

06/03/2010 8:29 AM

Good morning Tornado.

There does seem to be some issues with the moderation team. To a degree, I believe a part of the issue is the community. I am starting to see more of these...

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post #2

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about rules for posting.

... which indicates to me that we are not / cannot play nice.

I see nothing in your response that should be deemed agressive or Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior , perhaps it was a preemptive strike on the part of the mod team?

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36

06/03/2010 9:02 AM

I did not delete this post, but I can give you a hint as to why it may have been pulled. It was probably pulled due to the lack of explanation or information provided in the question. Because the poster was a guest, the moderator had no way to contact the original poster to clarify the question.

Threads should not be cryptic messages to be deciphered... they should be messages that provide members with enough information to answer the question.

Disclaimer: I do not know what "connected kw" is about.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

06/03/2010 9:18 AM

Hence the moderators shoud wait for some one to answer. The first few answers will show the way whether the post should be deleted, diverted to another forum or let it run.

Though text message are somethings we don't like, but still the meaning was clear and the answer that T wanted to post is to the point.

Connected load:

I have a house - 2 ACs 1.5T each (1.5x2=3KW)

One Oven 1KW

One fridge - 1.5KW

One washing m/c - 3KW

5 fans - 80W each (5x 0.08 = 0.4KW)

say lights of another 1KW

(Only example, got to count them)

So connected load = 3+1+1.5+3+0.4+1= 9.9KW

This is the load that I will drwa assuming all these are on and at full load (as T said the worst case scenario)

But actual load will be a fraction of that, for that the diversity factor, etc quite a few factors to be multiplied (more like divided since all these are <1)

It is easily understtod by say washing machine = 3KW

But how much time does it draw that? Only during spinning cycle? so say 5 minutes out of a total running time of 1 Hr?

Fridge - 1.5KW - only when the compressor is on at full power? may be only some 10% time - unless you have kids like mine who keep on opening the door alternate minutes.

Same thing goes on with all the loads (lights are not on together, AC has its on/off times) etc.

And worse - the peak load of these may some times coincide (though statistically rarest of rare occurrence) - AC on and at that time only WM went into spin, Fridge tried to compress,....

So you design the things based on connected load (wirings fuses etc) in industry especially this becomes critical - Just for an example, our 1MVA substation feeding to the machines has connected load of 2.1MW (we were a bit surprised at this) but then this rarely trips, so the calculations must have been OK. The other 1MVA substation is more balanced with 1.2MW - and that is the lighting and some of the more uniformly loaded machines.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 52
In reply to #2

06/03/2010 9:48 AM

"I did not delete this post"

You mean out of 12 moderators a single moderator can delete a post? I mean no majority decision making system?

I am sorry if this look a rude, But thats what come in mind.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #4

06/03/2010 10:00 AM

A moderator has rules to which he/she has to follow, but any moderator can make moderations as they see fit. It is nearly impossible to have all the moderators in one room to discuss the pulling or removal of a thread. There are some cases, however, where moderators discuss certain threads/comments to see what the majority feeling is on the issue. These are for cases that are straddling the fence between what is and is not acceptable on CR4.

Register to Reply
Guru
India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 52
In reply to #5

06/03/2010 10:51 AM

Moderators can have a voting tab. So no need of single office.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119

06/03/2010 11:27 AM

Moderators should not need to vote since the forum rules are fairly simple. Most moderated posts or threads DO provide a brief reason for the intervention (closed, homework, rude, inappropriate, etc.) and I'm sure the majority of readers appreciate knowing the reasons for the intervention.

Posts that just vanish without notice AND posts that are edited without any notice or reason seem to be causing some concern about overly-zealous intervention.

I personally find the secretive editing of posts to be very disturbing behavior for a CR4 moderator and suggest that this practice be discontinued. If a moderator feels that editing a post IS necessary, a brief insertion of something like "content edited by CR4 Admin" would be the proper and courteous approach.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #7

06/04/2010 7:01 AM

We have been providing reasons for deleted comments - like Doorman described in reply #1.

I'll look into the reason for deleted threads. I suspect it was because they were cryptic, duplicate, or otherwise poor quality threads that didn't make for good conversation.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #12

06/04/2010 10:41 AM

FYI... I don't know the original content, but thread below seems to have been edited without a notice or reason being provided.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/54837/How-About-Concentrating-on-One-Thing

See posts #12, #24, and #26 for comments.

Good luck and best wishes to the new moderator team.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/03/2010 1:19 PM

The whole CR4 forum seems to have devolved itself to a rather disfunctional state.

My feeling is that the "old" team was so poor that a decision was made to "fix" the problem (by installing a "new" team) without first trying to repair the problem.

If it's broken, break it more. That's seems to be what happened while the goal was meant to fix or repair the parts that were perceived to need work.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #8

06/03/2010 1:31 PM

Pretty bold comment, made from behind the curtain of anonymity.

How about some constructive criticism? Something useful or insightful.

Posts like this are one of the problems at CR4. However I see only one way to regulate them. What do you think: Should the forum only allow registered members to comment?

In reply to #9

06/03/2010 2:45 PM

The "old" management recinded my membership and the "new" guys won't let me back.

Once they close it out to guests, I'll be gone.

I really don't care what they do as I have a life.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #10

06/03/2010 3:09 PM

You don't say why your membership was rescinded. You must have done something to deserve it.

In reply to #11

06/04/2010 8:33 AM

No, you are wrong.

I reported abuse and threats to me by another member during a political discussion which the "old" team was unable to contain.

They banned me. The other guy was never punished but left a week or two later and hasn't been heard from since.

I will continue to chime in as guest and continue to explain the issue when confronted by other anonymous persons (who happen to have a screen name) for being a guest.

How is having a screen name any different than posting as "guest"? Neither one indicates the person's real identity.

The "old" guys actually posted my real name before another one removed it a while later.

I was mad as heck. Bunch of wanna-be amateurs pretending to offer useful forum services.

IMHO, the new team can't possibly be worse than before.

There (apparently) is no amnesty provision for the road kill left behind by the old team.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #14

06/04/2010 8:41 AM

If the other guy left shorty after the fact and "hasn't been heard from since", how do you know he wasn't banned too? It's not like we can ask him now...

If these forum services aren't useful, why are you still here?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #15

06/04/2010 9:02 AM

He posted a bit after the dust up. That is how I know that his abusive behavior was tolerated. Like many, here got bored and left.

I'm a person of principal, a bit stubborn, and not one to be intimidated.

Let me ask you a question, why do you find it necessary to taunt and bother me?

I have given you the straight scoop. Deal with it and move on. Like I said, I have a life.

Sometimes, still, some value is exhibited here so I lurk. I tend to be a curious sort. Again, get over it.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #16

06/04/2010 9:13 AM

No hard feelings - I was merely curious. I was not trying to intimidate, taunt, or bother you. Not sure why you're so defensive.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

06/04/2010 12:32 PM

"How is having a screen name any different than posting as "guest"? Neither one indicates the person's real identity."

I have learned that most members, and a few regular Guests, have a persona about their posts. For example, I would speculate you are one guest on this thread. There is a certain unquantifiable tone or timbre that many posters use with consistency. However, there are times where the tone of a member is a little off. I know there is some sort of issue brewing, and care should be taken if I decide to engage that member in conversation. This has prevented, I believe, many potential conflicts for me here at CR4.

Your first post on this thread seems a little out of your ordinary.

Guests, (and new members) on the other hand, are a random handful of personalities. Responding to my responses to poorly worded questions, some have lashed out at me, indicating that I might do the community some good and place my ridiculous ideas elsewhere (or something along that line). I seem to recall one recommendation involving an anatomical impossibility .

There are a few regular Guests who, even though not enrolled members, sign their posts, thus we are more certain to whom we are speaking. This technique can certainly be forged, thusly and maliciously ruining a fairly good reputation.

Well, I hope CR4 administration will again consider your plea for reinstatement. Your posts, in general, are a pleasure to read (whenever I think it is you. I may be giving credit to another!).

In reply to #21

06/04/2010 1:17 PM

The assumptions that you have made here by speculation are entirely wrong.

The posts that you are attributing to me belong to someone else. I would not speculate as to what axe this other guest has to grind or not.

My position is that I don't want to or would never hide behind "guest" except that CR4 will not allow me to re-register. I have even offered to drive out to Troy, NY and meet face to face with the parent company (GlobalSpec) to work out a solution. They refused to to so.

I'm not going to even try to understand how many bloggers might be out there in the Dakota's with aspirations of making a name for themselves on this forum. You are still anonymous as far as I am concerned. Furthermore, you have now shown to me that you have tendencies to make wild speculations about people that I know for a fact are false. So much for gaining street cred here by way of that gambit.

Expect similar response the next time this question comes up here from me. I don't have any advice for you on how to hunt down the other "guests" real or imagined here or elsewhere in places that you may frequent.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #22

06/04/2010 1:39 PM

Well, fair enough, Guest (whichever Guest you happen to be). Your post hardly seems confrontational or abrasive. I cannot understand where CR4 gets off by not allowing you a membership.

The timbre of your post indicates to me that you have an issue, so I shall choose my words carefully.

Good bye.

United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #8

06/04/2010 7:07 AM

Your feeling is incorrect.

But, there has been a change (shift from few to many moderators) and we are working on making our tools and system handle that. We're also doing what we can to provide reasons to CR4 users for removing comments.

Nothing's being "broken more". If you're referring to deleted threads, some were definitely deleted before the change in moderator staff. It's always been done in cases of duplicates, spam, undecipherable information, etc. This isn't a new thing. There have been no radical changes in how the site is moderated. I think you just may notice it now because there's an increased presence of moderators.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #13

06/04/2010 10:28 AM

It seems I replied to Guest and did not to one from any member of the "new moderator class" and that therefore said class ignored my reply.

What I was referring to was the lack of an amnesty program for the members who were chased off as registered users by Chris Leonard and Moose.

None of your new tools will help for those in that class (banned users).

In that regard things are not better. One may argue then that since things are not better in that regard then that they are worse. The other side of this arguement is that they are represent the status quo. Then too, should the glass be more than half full, the arguement could be made that therefore things are better.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

06/04/2010 11:32 AM

Maybe postings should be edited/moderated only after a valid and significant complaint has been received.

The question "what connected kw is all abt?" is ungrammatical, but it is not cryptic to electrical designers.

06/04/2010 3:02 PM

Hello Tornado.

Garthh had a recent thread, asking about possible features we might like to see.

Well, there is a feature that I would like to offer up.

How about, similar to the "Hide Off Topic Comments" option in my user profile, an option for "Hide Guest Comments"?

In reply to #24

06/04/2010 4:46 PM

That would be a reasonable option. I probably wouldn't use it myself, because I enjoy verbal fisticuffs. Weird posts are fodder for fun!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (9); Doorman (5); Jaxy (2); merph (1); mjb1962853 (2); rakesh_semwal (2); SavvyExacta (2); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Disappearing Taj Mahal Thread   Next in Forum: Why?
You might be interested in: Thread Gages, Thread Rolling Machines, Thread Tapes

Advertisement