Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Power-User
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member

Freeze The Oil Leak

06/12/2010 6:29 AM

I had an idea that the well head coud be surrounded with liquid carbon dioxide or nitrogen or wutever iz cold enuf to freeze the oil into a plug.

The advantage woud be that it woud slow it down gradualy to avoid blasting the whole shabang out uv the ground.

Freezing fluid coud also be sent way deep into the hole to do the same thing or in conjunction with freezing the outside.

Sum obvious problemz are that it coud take more freezing liquid than can possibly be supplied and that the pipes may bekum brittle at such low temps and break.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Freeze the Oil leak

06/12/2010 7:10 AM

u chud tri spel chek

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #1

06/12/2010 7:56 AM

Welcome to the world of text shortcuts. Kids don't need to be able to spell anything correctly anymore. Don't you feel proud of where technology has taken us?

And for our texting buddies:

Nd 4 our txtng budz:

Welkum 2 th wld uv txtg shtkutz. kidz dnt ned 2 b abl 2 spl nethng corektly nemor. dont u fel proud uv ware tech haz tkn us?

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #2

06/12/2010 9:36 AM

It's sad that they are sooooooooooo lazy that they can't even put forth a little effort to communicate.

CU ltr

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

06/12/2010 11:38 AM

Always looking for the quick and easy way.I can't wait for reality to hit!

In reply to #5

06/12/2010 12:45 PM

The reality iz that English orthography iz junk. You obviously arent aware uv how much trouble it cauzez our society, so read http://www.nooalf.com to give yourself a chance uv understanding.

I think the oil dizaster haz its roots in the same thinking that maintainz gooft up English spelling: Dont think. Just lissen to authority.

It appallz me that BP iz still running the show down there. Obama shoud hav seized the entire company a month ago when it became obvious that they hav been lying all along. Its Day 55 and they are still playing CYA and pinching pennyz insted uv stopping the leak asap.

In reply to #1

06/13/2010 12:31 PM

I am working with a claw hand and the type was very small. And I was not seeing any designs out there with actual answers drawn out as ideas on paper.

Let us see what kind of design solution you will provide?

Register to Reply
Guru

06/12/2010 8:08 AM

First - We are not texting nor are we 12 years old.

Second - Interesting idea but the pressure coming out of the damaged pipe would not yield the result that you are expecting. What you would get at best would be a frozen crude oil projectile shooting up from the sea floor.

Re: Freeze The Oil Leak

06/12/2010 12:25 PM

That depenz on how frozen it iz.

I dont know how cold crude haz to be to solidify, but if it wuz solid and the pipe iznt totally smooth, it will stop flowing.

Reconsidering the injection idea, I dont think it woud be good to do that alone bekuz it coud concievably stop the flow too fast by creating frozen chunks suddenly accumulating at a bottlenek or curve or any partial obstruction.

I'v heard various pressurez stated, all in the thouzandz, and know the pipe iz 21" in diameter, so its like trying to stop a miles long freight train going downhill with the throttle stuck wide open!

06/12/2010 7:59 PM

Do not claim to know any thing, but this small end thingy to big end plug has a true ring of a potential design winning solution. Besides it seems to allow the fluid dynamics of the situation behave and then behaves when put to the test like a valve when you want it to

This is a possible answer

But I know nothing I am just an Aspiring Engineer.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

In reply to #8

06/13/2010 5:39 AM

Hi, Aspiring.

I dont know why your post haz been voted 'off topic' wen its at least about the spill. (probably sour grapes frum the spelling cops)

Anyway, Your diagram duznt make your idea clear, and the text iz below the rezolution uv my screen. So maybe you coud explain it?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

06/13/2010 7:41 AM

I did a google for freezing point of crude oil and found out that crude oil has no defined freezing (or boiling) point because it is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons with different properties, and every deposit of crude has its own characteristics.

That being said, the freezing temperatures of oil in general are quite low. If not, your car would not work at winter temperatures. One comment I saw was that people in Alaska often leave their cars running, because the refined gasoline may freeze below -40 C. As another example, in a refining assay for one crude oil deposit there were constituents (kerosenes) reported with freezing point below -60 C.

The uneven freezing points of the various constituents means that unless you can sustain a very low temperature sufficient to get the whole volume solid, the escaping oil will be a "slush" that returns to liquid as it gets further from your cooling source.

The high pressure at the Deepwater Horizon spill depth will also affect the freezing point: the water temperature at that depth is described as "near freezing" so close to 0 C ambient temperature.

I think your idea is interesting because (whether practical or not) it is a train of thought that would turn a problem (freezing ie methane hydrate interfered with capping) into a solution. The sort of thinking that uses the existing energy of the problem and turns it to a solution is good.

So I guess the next question in my mind is, what are the properties of methane hydrate (or other crude constituents that freeze at higher temps) that would prevent it being collected or otherwise used to any benefit in this case? What would happen to a plug of methane hydrate if it could be manufactured in situ and applied.

In reply to #10

06/13/2010 8:43 AM

Interesting. I suppoze it woud hav to be at least cold enuf to freeze the majority components. Carbon dioxide iz very plentiful and freezez at -78C, so maybe it woud be good enuf.

Back wen they tried the 'dome' and it got clogged. I didnt see wut the problem wuz; it woud at least stop the spill. Didnt know it had sumthing to do with temperature.

06/14/2010 12:50 PM

This idea (using liquid nitrogen at minus 300 degrees) was submitted to BP, the Coast Guard and Governor Jindal back in May and the idea along with the method of delivery and a temperature containment system was dismissed.

The rejected method called for the slow freezing of the crude oil and its other components slowly from the outside of the pipe or blowout valve to the inside. This would allow the frozen "plug" to first adhere to the inner pipe surface and slowly build up until the bore was totally sealed off.

H.Bowers

Schenectady, NY

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #13

06/14/2010 7:56 PM

Wut wer the objectionz?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (1); Aspiring Engineer (2); lyn (2); not so smart (3); Z man (5)

Previous in Forum: Drawing Gears in Autocad   Next in Forum: Equivalence

Advertisement