Previous in Forum: What, Me Crazy?!   Next in Forum: Knee Massager Suggestions
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Active Contributor

Bio Remediation- Microbes & Amp; The 2010 Gulf Oil Spill

06/14/2010 1:28 PM

Curious if anyone from industry has experience with these products. I have confidence something like this could work but I'm not sure on what time scale. Specifically, I'm curious for data on commercial microbe mixtures available for degrading spilled crude on saltwater surface or shore locations.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: bioremediation Microbes oil spill
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 251

Re: Bio Remediation- Microbes & Amp; The 2010 Gulf Oil Spill

06/14/2010 5:40 PM

Might fix the oil spill, might not but THEN how do you stop them impacting the whole of the ocean FOREVER.

The dangers of introducing new species into the environment have led to some classic disasters in themselves.

Rabbits, cats, dogs, rats, cane toads, European carp have all been introduced to ecosystems in Australia and have caused devastation of the environment and maybe as many other species extinctions as man himself.

While the effect of the oil is shameful, it's not breeding more oil.

I for one would strongly oppose the release of the proposed microbes. They cannot contain the oil, how could they ever hope to contain the microbes?

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

06/14/2010 6:27 PM

I looked this up while reading another thread, there are links to information on the marine species here.

There's no need to introduce species in the ocean, apparently the necessary organisms are always present in the ocean in low population numbers. Readily found around oil seeps. They only "bloom" when there is oil available, so there's no fear of them taking over the ocean. But it's not a great idea to introduce other species, simply because the ones that live in that specific environment are already the best adapted to those conditions. (There are commercial GMO versions as well, however, as linked in the other thread.).

One downside to the ocean microbial ecology from a health perspective is that Vibrio species - which can be or are known pathogens to man - are tolerant of the polluted condition and are already having a huge bloom, without actually helping the situation. Sanitation precautions may be advisable if in contact with seawater.

For the oil eaters like Marinobacter or Alcanivorax I would expect the situation is similar to parasitoid wasp/forest or garden populations, which are always present in very low numbers unless there's an infestation of their prey - there's a lag time while they build a big enough population to handle the infestation, so they don't appear to be helping until suddenly they hit their stride with the necessary numbers. Same goes for oil-eating bacteria. It may seem they're not working at all but that could just be the lag. Some are limited by other essential nutrients as well and can be encouraged by adding the right elements to the water to promote the bloom. The science is fairly well established, the research is there to tell us what needs to be done.

For the shore cleanup there are a different bunch of species - and lots more of them, and well known by their handlers. You not only have plenty of choice, (commercially available), but species introductions may be less of an issue since the remediation area is more or less contained (well - compared with a deep water ocean situation, very contained.) and the oranisms now used commercially on a regular basis are well enough known to identify risks and make a good decision. At least, I sure hope so.

06/15/2010 12:00 PM

decades ago there was a successful test with oil eating microbes. however the microbes which consumed the oil eaters died off early. the next stage of microbe eaters were never successful devouring the first. magazine article. cannot remember when or who. [guessing] this would have left an even larger problem size wise.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 60
In reply to #3

06/15/2010 4:02 PM
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/17/2010 7:34 PM

Here are two Youtube videos that explain bioremediation: Please watch: Oil spill bioremediation with NASA discovery BH939 PRP = Petroleum Remediation Product  (eco-friendly oil-eating bees wax) youtube1 Oil spill bioremediation with friendly bacteria youtube2

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/13/2010 11:24 PM

AH....the Oceans. We're on it. Plenty to do so little time. , it's like I'll not have a life unless I have a yacht to retreat to. Dirty Oceans are no beueno blanco. The microbes need to be collected at the site then replicated. Tricky. Then reintroduced. ;yada yada. I've heard of super bugs that remediate more than one kind of HZMT site, SUPER! But we cannot introduce these and reduce the local microbes, we need diversity! Soon, there will be emence amounts of work to do. See you there! Unless, of course you'd rather just clean the coast, land lubberOX!.. But that's skool too.

Dan

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); artsmith (1); Just an Engineer (1); peterg7lyq (1); pretzel (1)

Previous in Forum: What, Me Crazy?!   Next in Forum: Knee Massager Suggestions
You might be interested in: Remediation Services, Respirometers

Advertisement