Previous in Forum: PROGRAMMING REQUIRED   Next in Forum: Pro Toolkit
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Anonymous Poster

AutoCAD Question

02/26/2007 1:14 PM

I'm a student wondering if anyone can give me a hand with a problem I'm trying to solve. Can an AutoCAD drawing be converted from one measurement system to the other (mm to feet) in one quick and easy step. In the help section I read that you can scale the drawing to the conversion factor required but all of my text and dimensions remain the same size and all have to be changed to fit the new drawing. I'm doing a floor plan and would like to have metric dimensions for the permit process and have an imperial copy for floor workers to use.

I'm thinking AutoCAD must have a quicker and less messy way of switching from SI to Imperial but I've been unable to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pathfinder Tags: Autocad drawing measurement software
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17

Re: AutoCAD Question

02/26/2007 1:23 PM

Why not both? That way you have the same drawing in the format you want but will will have the mm required for who ever.

go to the Dimension pull down and to Demension style, then click the Modify button, another window will pop up and click the tap at the top for "Alternatre Units" turn this on and set it to what you need.

After that all you dimentions will display both inch and metric...

Good luck, I hope this helped

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51

02/26/2007 7:59 PM

Me thinks that you've used ordinary text and drawings for your dimensions. That would explain why the dimensions remained unchanged. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. It just what popped into my head because it happened to me before. I was moving from an earlier version (very early version) to the latest.

Good Answers: 245

02/27/2007 12:23 AM

You do not scale a drawing to change from one unit system to another! An object is the same size regardless of what units are used to measure it. The dimensioning system in any decent CAD system can be specified as English, metric, or both. When you use the dimension tool, it will place a number, or two numbers, appropriate to the distance between the measurement points.

Belgium - Member - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28

02/27/2007 3:26 AM

Autocad does not know the unit system you are working in. (at least it was like that when I worked with it for school)

You can define to show the two mayor styles (with one between brackets) and than you have to define which is the main dimensioning system. (explained before)

3D solid modelling systems do know the units as they need it to do calculations.

You can do global changes, just change the definition of the style and everything that is drawn in this style will change. Try to avoid overriding dimension texts, draw correct so that you don't need it.

United States - Member - Engineering Consultant Popular Science - Evolution - Understanding

02/27/2007 4:40 AM

If by scale the drawing, you mean convert it some other scale than full or 1:1, do not ever do that.

Belgium - Member - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #5

02/27/2007 4:45 AM

It is like drawing is scale: don't do this.

Adapt the viewport scale to fit wath you want to show.

02/27/2007 4:51 AM

If you have made the mistake of drawing at some scale other than 1:1 simply rescale the whole drawing to bring it back to 1:1. You can then reset the dimension primary unit scale factor to 1 & add dual dimensioning as suggested in an earlier reply.

Anonymous Poster

02/27/2007 7:56 AM

You need to change you dimension scale and units only. So you can watch it happen as you change it double click on the dimesion in model or paperspace (whichever one you have dimensioned in), the properties window should appear (if not select from modify menu, ctrl +1 or the A with the finger icon). Under primary units change units from decimal to what you want Architectual for example. Then change dimension scale to 1/25.4 or 0.03937007874 (AutoCad can screw you around sometimes with its rounding), if you are in layout your scale will change to suit the layout scale so 0.0394 will not be displayed in the unit scale.

Try this with a 711.2mm square, 28" or 2'-4".

This way you do not need to alter the actual object, just like the previous suggestions for alternate units. Scaling the actual drawing in model space will not help AutoCad ingnores unit type, 1 is 1 to it regardless of 1inch or 1mm.

Active Contributor

02/27/2007 12:02 PM

most of these are responses are from people that are not currently using autocad and aren't sure what you are doing, so:

Command: DDIM

either change your primary units or add dual units and see both

confirm change with dimension settings

Command: DIM

Command:UPD

Command: all

then hit enter twice.

Never scale anything and always draw everything 1:1 it will save you and others many many headaches and fights.

Any further autocad or Soliworks questions and you can e-mail me directly

shane@bryantfuelsystems.com

In reply to #9

02/27/2007 8:34 PM

You are missing a few points in between.

You are correct; I am currenty using internet explorer, therefore I would not be using AutoCad, it might be minimised though, in which case could be located with a simple click on the Task Bar.

Commentator

02/27/2007 12:28 PM

First off make sure your DIMASSOC variable is set to 2. (or 1 if 2 not available).

This is extremely important for dimension associativity.

Next, Look at your UNITS.

In that dialog box the Insertion Sacle Should be set appropriatley. I use Unitless.

Drawing 1:1 is a bit ubiquitous.

If you drew in mm units or in inch units defines what your 1:1 means.

You probably drew your geometry in mm.

To convert your dimensions to Feet and inches, do the following:

pull up your dimension style manager (command:DDIM)

click on the new tab.

name it whatever you want.

hit the Continue button.

with that new name highlighted hit the Set current button.

hit the Modify button.

under the Primary Units tab:

change the Unit format to Architectural.

in the Measurement scale sub-box, set the Scale factor to .03936996

hit OK, Close

Now that this new Dim style is active, on the command line type:

DIM

UP

and select the dimensions you want to chane to the new format.

hope this helps.

Anonymous Poster

02/27/2007 6:30 PM

What Version?

AutoCad has a 'units` adjustment that might do it for you in one step.

Guru

In reply to #11

02/28/2007 3:42 AM

After reading all the responses you seam to ask the right question, I learned to work with version 10 and could follow evolutions till version 2006. (I missed some steps in between when I worked with ProE.)

I was always pissed off when I needed to work with LT, but now there seam to be so many different versions that have each their own approach. Check your manual.

Perhaps we should start a section on CAD with tips, trick and goodies for the different programs.

02/28/2007 10:53 AM

Thanks for all your replies. This is the advice I was looking for.

Reply to Forum Thread 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); Capt Psycho (1); dkwarner (1); Greg G (1); Gwen.Stouthuysen (3); Labyguy (1); shanem8888 (1); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: PROGRAMMING REQUIRED   Next in Forum: Pro Toolkit

Advertisement