Previous in Forum: Spring Mechanical Fix for Koken Chair   Next in Forum: Changing of Transformer Silica Gel
Close
Close
Close
9 comments

What is the Code in NYC for Escape Hatches in an Elevator?

07/28/2010 1:33 PM

Hello,

I have been looking all over but I can not find the requirements for elevator escape hatches in New York City. Does anyone know what it is exactly ore where it can be found?

Is there a minimum width or length required? A minimum square footage? Does it have to be a top escape hatch, or can it be on the side as well?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Code elevator escape hatch nyc
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283

Re: What is the code in NYC for escape hatches in an elevator?

07/28/2010 2:46 PM

Aha! You have seen this on a TV show. Right?

The access panel on the ceiling of an elevator cab is exactly that: an access panel for maintenance personnel. By law, these are not accessible to the public, and must be bolted or locked shut unless the cab is out of service.

This is why, after looking all over, you find nothing.

07/28/2010 2:56 PM

I haven't seen this on tv, but I actually work with elevators. Not for very long though.

The escape hatch I was told that it had to be a minimum of 400 sq. in. and the smallest side has to be 16" so a person can fit through. But I wanted to find a code or something for this for NYC.

I just found something related to it, but apparently you have to buy the book. There's a "Location for Top Emergency Exit" section on ASME A17.1 - Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #2

07/28/2010 3:36 PM

Since you work with elevators, the people you work for should be able to give you an answer. Or, you could walk into any public elevator with a tape measure and get a pretty good idea of what the code is. Have you seen elevators with a side escape hatch? If so, where do they go? I've got an idea that the hatches are not so much a means of escape, but a way for emergency personnel to get in to rescue anyone inside, should it get stuck. Good luck in your new career. The book you mention should be provided to you by your employers.

In reply to #3

07/28/2010 4:01 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It's a small company and we only work on the elevator interiors, so we don;t really deal much with the city code. That;'s why they don't provide me with the book, and nobody else here knows about it. I'm just trying to learn more on my own, instead of just going with what people are used to.

I know that in old elevators there used to be side escape hatches. You would remove a panel, and exit on the side of the elevator.

That's true, the escape hatch has to be accessed from outside.

The problem I'm having, is with an elevator where there's not enough space on top for the minimum 16" (that's what I'm used to doing) for the width of the escape hatch on the ceiling. I can't get an answer how the escape hatch worked before, and I can't fit an escape hatch in that space, based on what I was told the code was.

That's why i just want to find out myself, instead of just relying on people that don't know why they do stuff the way they do.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #4

07/28/2010 4:32 PM

Well Danny.Z, fair enough.

The 'Escape Hatch' phrase in your OP lead me to believe you had in mind the escape from the cab (or car) so often seen in the movies. I see now you are more saavy than that... please forgive my assumption.

I am sorry, but I do not know the size required... it is (I suppose) listed in Appendix C of ASME A17.1, but I do not have access to a copy.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

07/28/2010 4:27 PM

I'll bet these guys know!

Re: What is the Code in NYC for Escape Hatches in an Elevator?

07/29/2010 7:41 AM

Thanks Kramarat. I looked all over nyc.gov but couldn't find it. I'll look again at your link I guess, maybe I missed it.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #7

07/29/2010 2:59 PM

I looked around a little too. It's got to be there somewhere. I'm glad I'm not writing bids in NYC. Try calling permit dept and asking for specific page and code for emergency hatches. I know one thing, you could probably spend days on that site and still not know everything there is to know about elevator codes in NYC. Good Luck!

07/29/2010 8:55 AM

I found this, but now I cant find Rule 204.1e

REFERENCE STANDARD RS-18
ELEVATORS AND CONVEYORS

(14) Top Emergency Exit. Elevators shall be equipped with a car enclosure, which shall have a top emergency exit conforming to the requirements of Rule 204.1e. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/bldgs_code/bcrs18.pdf

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Danny.Z (4); Doorman (2); kramarat (2); RDGRNR (1)

Previous in Forum: Spring Mechanical Fix for Koken Chair   Next in Forum: Changing of Transformer Silica Gel

Advertisement