Previous in Forum: Zooming around in Fractals   Next in Forum: Vertical Search Propagation
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
The Feature Creep

Greatest Achievements

03/29/2005 4:05 PM

Personally I think that the radio contributed far more to the world of science than the airplane. However I think that they are talking more about the way these achievements affected life in the world as a whole.

However the greatest injustice is that Agricultural Mechanization was number 7. The fact that only 100 years ago most of the country were farmers(~90%) and today it is less then 5% is amazing. Freeing those people from farm work is what allowed them to work in factories and eventually allowed for specailization like scientists.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Electricity Rules

03/30/2005 4:24 PM

Can anyone make a convincing argument that electricity should *not* be number one invention in this list? It would seem to be a necessary precursor to most, if not all, of the other inventions. For example, even though automobiles don't require plug-in power (well, not at least until we run out of oil and have to scrap the combusion engine altogether), how practical would it be use cars without the benefit of streetlights? Besides, the world would shut down at sundown anyway. And how many of us would listen to the radio as often as we do if we had buy batteries every other day?

Register to Reply
The Feature Creep

In reply to #1

Re:Electricity Rules

03/31/2005 3:42 PM

I'll agree that electricity makes things run better and it certainly deserves to be number one. However radio includes our understanding of wave and light propagation which allowed for electronics and many of the other achievements on this list. I was just saying that it was of much greater importance than the airplane; which just move people and products in the same way that boats and trains do, just faster.

Hobbies - Musician - Tube Amps Only Please!

Good Answers: 1

Re: Greatest Achievements

10/30/2009 10:22 PM

The transistor!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BRodda (1); maveric_manic (1); svmelito (1)

Previous in Forum: Zooming around in Fractals   Next in Forum: Vertical Search Propagation

Advertisement