Previous in Forum: Strange Space Ships   Next in Forum: Nasa Nano Satellite Challenge
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Power-User
India - Member - New Member Germany - Member - New Member France - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Capacitor to Power Airplane

10/16/2010 3:38 AM

i want to use capacitor for powering my radio control airplane as power source. my motor is 4.5 volt,0.08-0.09amp DC motor.so can i use capacitor to power it instead of battery-pack.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 1

Re: capacitor to power airplane

10/16/2010 3:56 AM

battery and capacitor are used for distinctly different purpose.How can you imagine a capacitor power your stuff as the capacitor discharge for very less time.Also exponentially decrease(V) to a dead end.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
India - Member - New Member Germany - Member - New Member France - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #1

10/16/2010 6:28 AM

ok thanks yar i am mechanical engineer but then also thanks for correcting me. if u know lightest battery with above configuration plz tell me.

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #2

10/16/2010 9:25 AM

Well, hithuanand gave you the perfect reply.

You claim to be mechanical try to be aeronautical a bit, change of wing span, its angle and lighter material for the frame is the requisite.

If you keep on worrying about battery weight how will my wait to get a free air ride in your plane will be over!

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #4

10/16/2010 9:31 AM

The OP didn't mention battery weight. A major advantage of capacitors is the very short re-charge time. This means (among other things) that it would be possible to distribute the load within the plane, and re-charge in situ, rather than removing and replacing the pack.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

10/16/2010 9:15 AM

It may be possible using ultracapacitors with appropriate power management circuitry (I haven't looked into the details).

I suggest you read some of the links found by this search:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ultracapacitor+battery+replacement

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #3

10/16/2010 12:33 PM

Ultracapacitors have a higher energy density than conventional capacitors but still lower than any battery. Because they have a considerably higher power density, they can make a system much more efficient with strategic utilization. There is also a problem using any capacitor instead of a battery with the stability of the voltage. When half of the energy available in a battery has been used, the voltage across the battery is still close to the original voltage. With any capacitor the voltage will have dropped to about 0.707 (1/√2) of the original voltage.

Since the power usage to operate a remote plane will likely be very constant, the total energy available to be drawn for the amount of mass carried will be more important. So I'd stay with the choice of a battery.

(Image acquired from a Wikipedia article on Ultracapacitors.)

In reply to #6

10/16/2010 5:49 PM

You're right - as I said, I haven't looked into the details (just didn't want to dismiss it out of hand).

The voltage drop vs. depletion shouldn't be a consideration tho', because with a decent power control circuit (equally applicable to battery supplied systems), the load should be fed with adequate voltage and current until the power source is (at least 80%) depleted.

[This is going to get me started about the crap power management system in an HP camera I had, which seemed to be totally voltage dependent, and would not even power the camera for a single shot with new alkaline batteries].

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #6

10/17/2010 8:49 AM

In order to overcome the voltage drop problem, one company has arranged multiple ultracapacitors that kick in , in sequence, to maintain the voltage as the current is drained.

Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #6

10/17/2010 2:01 PM

Redfred GA!

I was wondering where we could find such a graph. I will forward this to a friend who does airplane modeling.

Thank you.

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #6

10/17/2010 11:50 PM

Not just Good, a Great Answer!

Good Answers: 87

Re: Capacitor to Power Airplane

10/16/2010 9:58 PM

Flying a plane on less than 1/2 watt of power is very impressive. Are you sure those numbers are right?

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

10/16/2010 10:29 PM

No matter what you do, the capacitor will never reach the energy density of a battery.

A capacitor can be far far faster than a battery in charge or discharge though, whihc leads to some applications that need surge power.

A capacitor is like a spring, and a battery is like a weight on a long rope rope

Good Answers: 4

10/17/2010 8:20 AM

Consider a LIPO battery, they are flown every day -models- and even have flown real prototype aircraft, fast recharge and light with the smaller ones in the GRAM weight range. Best weight versus power and voltage ( 3.7 nominal per cell). Woody

10/17/2010 12:53 PM

I recently ordered two LI-80 lithuim batteries for my hp digital t-100 camera, hp wanted 40.00 us for this 650 ma battery, I inputed the number in Amazon and found several sources, the one I ordered from hong kong was 1.85 us I ordered two under the dollar shipping promotion figuring what did I have to lose, the batteries came in 10 day's and they were not only a match but they were 900 ma, go figure, I may order ten or twenty to build bricks that I can use in my radio controlled airplane projects, I just looked up the battery in my cell phone and came up with a 4.50 us match from aforementioned web site, don't get rooked by this money hog industry, look up the stuff yourself... when I started radio controlled electrics they were heavy and underpowered, now if you look ant nitroplanes.com the brushless dc motors are incredible for the size and ducted fans are the new power source for jet radio lawn darts. the new 2.5 ghrtz radios are so cheap you can have one for each plane.

Sincerely
Mitch, retired peugeot mech

Guru

In reply to #12

10/17/2010 5:20 PM

Lesson for all - DON'T buy from the camera (or whatever) manufacturer. Similar differential trying to buy Canon or Nikon batteries.

Check out the battery type, and buy from a (trustworthy) distributor for about 5% of the equipment OM price.

Good Answers: 4

10/17/2010 7:46 PM

Its possible that the power stated is for the control, i.e. radio; and that the engine is fuel powered. My electric planes are light and use 11.1 volts at up to 5-10 amps for 10 minutes. Woody

Good Answers: 6

10/17/2010 8:34 PM

Read

circuit-could-swap-ultracapacitors-for-batteries

Latest reading on super-capacitor.

Still it is for instantaneous power not a continuous source of electrical power.

Power-User

10/18/2010 5:02 AM

thanks all above people who gave info about capacitor & ultracapacitor is new subject for me.Thanks once again for improving my knowledge.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); aurizon (1); duikerbok (1); Haajee (1); hithuanand (1); JohnDG (4); kvsubramanyam (1); marcot (1); mountk2 (1); rajeshbhanushali123 (2); redfred (1); stevem (1); waldig (2)

Previous in Forum: Strange Space Ships   Next in Forum: Nasa Nano Satellite Challenge

Advertisement