Previous in Forum: Leaving Cert Project   Next in Forum: Storing my '97 Z71
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

1999 Nissan Altima Blinker Problem. Maybe Ground?

11/16/2010 12:50 PM

Hi everyone,

This is the problem with the car. (1999 nissan altima)

Left turn signal on, headlights off (blinker works but radio lights blinks too)

Right turn signal on, headlights off (all works ok)

Headlights ON, left blinker light is fix always with/with out blinker engaged. Right blinkers work ok

There seems to be a ground problem here. How should I inspect this? Ground the blinker wires? If so, would just jumping the blinker ground wire onto the chassis would be a good test? Let me know if I am off target and thanks for the help.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: car electrical problems
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Re: 1999 Nissan Altima Blinker Problem. Maybe Ground?

11/16/2010 12:57 PM

Grounding them to the chassis would be an excellent ground, but I don't know if that will solve your problem.

In reply to #1

11/17/2010 1:25 AM

Could be low on blinker fluid. There is a site that sells it online, but for the life of me I can't recall their name.

Google Blinker Fluid.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/17/2010 8:36 AM

We own a 1994 Nissan Sunny. I had a indicator light changed on the back drivers side.

When my wife was driving and put her foot on the break peddle the headlights would flash. (you would be surprised at the number of people that flashed back). My wife did not know that the lights were flashing at on coming cars, and would remark at how she was being noticed when driving.

Couple of weeks later i went down to the fish and chip shop when it was dark, the wife nipped out to get the chips, while i waited in the car. It was dark and i had not parked in a good spot, so when another car moved i thought that i would take that parking space. So i stared the engine and moved forwarders without putting the lights on. When i went to stop the headlights came on?.

So this is why my wife was getting to be noticed on her journeys.

After going through the wiring and fuse box connections and a lot of head scratching to find the cause, I finally took the indicator bulb out that had been replaced, only to find that the bulb had been wired up the wrong way around. Which was putting power to the main light system when the brake peddle was used.

So all that i needed to do was to throw that bulb away.

Register to Reply
Participant

11/17/2010 9:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

How can I test for continuity (no resistance) from the lamps (headlights/blinkers)? I would like to test this to check for lack of ground connections. I could just use a volt meter and place the red terminal on the metal of the bulb (connected to socket off course) and the black terminal on the chassis. This should let me test there is ground problem or not. Is this correct?

thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #4

11/17/2010 12:09 PM

I would suggest that you turn on the 4 way flashers, and compare left side to right side. Then do the same comparison at the other end of the vehicle. By now you should see one light bulb that does not look as bright, or not flashing at all. That is the bad bulb location. Good luck.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

11/17/2010 12:05 PM

This is a lot more common than you think. Most automotive design light bulbs are using two filaments inside one bulb. If the bulb is not inserted properly it will allow current from one circuit to feed the circuit for the other function. Turn signals feed parking lights, and parking lights feed a turn signal. If a single contact bulb is inserted, or a double contact bulb is not rotated sufficiently, it will happen. The difference is that usually the person replacing the bulb will try it out before he or she walks away.

11/22/2010 12:54 PM

hi,

I found the problem with the car. I removed the light bulb socket, and I noticed that there are three pins which connect to the wiring of the car. One of the pins (ground) was broken. I replaced the socket, and everything works fine.

I hope this helps some of you out there and thanks for all the help

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

11/22/2010 1:05 PM

Thanks for getting back and letting us know.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

0zkary (2); Anonymous Poster (2); bob c (3); mrclean (1)

Previous in Forum: Leaving Cert Project   Next in Forum: Storing my '97 Z71

Advertisement