Previous in Forum: Any One Have DW144 Duct Standard   Next in Forum: B.O.E Exam In Orissa State
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Active Contributor

Steam Hammer

01/12/2011 8:58 AM

can some one inform about steam hammering in steam pipe lines. how does this phenomena are created and how can we eliminate?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: steam hammer
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

Re: steam hammer

01/12/2011 12:00 PM

From Wiki;

Steam distribution systems may also be vulnerable to a situation similar to water hammer, known as steam hammer. In a steam system, water hammer most often occurs when some of the steam condenses into water in a horizontal section of the steam piping. Subsequently, steam picks up the water, forms a "slug" and hurls it at high velocity into a pipe fitting, creating a loud hammering noise and greatly stressing the pipe. This condition is usually caused by a poor condensate drainage strategy.

Where air filled traps are used, these eventually become depleted of their trapped air over a long period of time through absorption into the water. This can be cured by shutting off the supply, opening taps at the highest and lowest locations to drain the system (thereby restoring air to the traps), and then closing the taps and re-opening the supply.

In reply to #1

01/12/2011 2:08 PM

thank you RDGRNR and G.A .

Can you explain why knocking sound heard sometimes inside boiler drum while it's shut off

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

01/12/2011 3:30 PM

The knocking sound comes from the Indian boiler demon who lives inside the steam drum.

Since he is from Hell and enjoys a lot of heat, he becomes upset when things get cool... He begins to knock....and knock

I would not upset him, I would restart the boiler as soon as possible.

Never open the steam drum without loudly chanting three times: "Oh boiler demon...whom we love so dearly....let us come into your home to perform an inspection !!!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

01/12/2011 4:35 PM

It's an engineering discussion inside an engineering forum , not a kids garden, if you lost read signboard or ask nearest traffic man for help.
don't cry , he will send you for mum.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

01/13/2011 12:18 AM

Typical troll activity. (You're not nearly as clever as you think you are)

Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81

01/12/2011 4:43 PM

Water hammer occurs when the pipe work is cooler than the steam, steam in contact with the pipe condenses into water, and the steam rushes in to fill the void and hammers the pipe. The problem is eliminated by slowly admitting steam into the pipe and drains full open to allow condensed steam to drain out until the pipe work is raised to the temperature of the steam, when the pipe work is up to steam temperature the drains can be closed and full steam pressure applied.

Regards JD.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #5

01/13/2011 1:44 AM

Two different answers covering the reasons I thought would cause steam pipe hammering but I wasn't sure.

Are there any other causes that I didn't know?

I am not trying to sound condescending, I only thought those were the reasons so I didn't comment till now.

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #7

01/13/2011 3:05 AM

Hi Anon, the question takes me back too when I was a junior engine on my first trip too sea, steam on deck for steam winches. Hammering was a common thing, and if you where not careful, flange joints were blown. So to answer your question, are there other causes? the effect is not isolated to a single position in the pipe, but rather to the pipe as a whole, the pipe takes on a position or shape constant with the pipe pressure, when the steam condenses into water after being in contact with the colder pipe, its internal pressure changes, this in turn effects the complete pipe, think of the pipe sprung straight due to pressure now reverts back to its original shape, BANG.

Regards JD

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 12

Re: Steam Hammer

01/13/2011 5:42 AM

here is your answer ,don't looking after.

http://www.bellgossett.com/Press/BG-good.asp

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #9

01/13/2011 7:43 AM

Thank you Khairy for the link. GA

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #11

01/13/2011 9:36 AM

Welcome klearzen

Good Answers: 20

01/13/2011 6:07 AM

Steam hammering occures due to poor heating of steam network before enterning the steam into the system. Piping network remains cool and as soon as the hot steam enters condensation takes place and water gets accumulated in the lines. As the steam flow increases, steam carries the water with it and lot of momentum is created and it hammers the line loops with tremondos forces creating hell of stresses. With proper care during start-up of the steam intake in the network of piping, condensate should be drained before and after the piping loops, all wents and drains shall be kept open to achieve flow and temperature in the line. The practice shall be followed up to the targeted equipment.

Steam hammers can blow flange joints and can damage piping supports and even piping itself.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); jdretired (2); khairy Aish (2); klearzen (1); Mukesh0861 (1); RDGRNR (1); sphinx49 (1); ~Anon~ (1)

Previous in Forum: Any One Have DW144 Duct Standard   Next in Forum: B.O.E Exam In Orissa State

Advertisement