Previous in Forum: Pro's and Con's Between CX Supervisor or Indusoft Web Studio   Next in Forum: ETAP Software (Magnetic Contactor Interrupting Rating)
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant
Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member

Allen Bradley Panelview Firmware Mismatch

01/21/2011 4:32 PM

I have an Allen Bradley Panelview 2711-T5A9L1 with 4.1 firmware. I am trying to import a version 4.0 program from an old system into my new system. However, it won't compile correctly and keeps giving me errors.

Anyone know of a way to get this to work or am I going to have to do everything all over again?

Thanks in advance.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Anonymous Poster

Re: Allen Bradley Panelview Firmware Mismatch

01/21/2011 5:38 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #1

01/22/2011 12:08 AM

I have to agree with Garthh, follow his lead. I sold AB for over 20 years, although I love their PB's and ACL's, anything else is far game. I have 80+ control panels now after getting back in the world of automation after 20 wasted years, I have 2 panels with AB equipment in them. And there will be another 280 control panels in the next 2 years. None of which will have AB in them. I met the and had dinner with President of the company that were building the SLC100's for AB way back when, 1970?. Was not impressed. Not in the least, after my last trip to WI HQTRS, I decided it was enough.

Got back to the real world of getting my hands dirty. Oh Yea!

My advice, Follow Garthh, he is correct! And also deserve a GA on his answer. Maybe 10 GA's! (maybe 100?)

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #3

01/22/2011 1:15 AM

What do you use?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

03/21/2011 7:59 PM

Garthh, sorry for the delay. Been super busy day and night a lot past several months. Most of what I use now are SqD PB's, IEC starters/OL's and SMC's plus Emerson drives, the SK series with built in presets and a lot of relay logic. Most of what I have to do is simple control. Looked into using some small Logic controls, but for the most part, just not cost effective. Although I am moving in the direction of 4-20mA sensor controls for some applications to monitor fluid levels in the tanks and control the drives/pumps accordingly. Just been to busy to research and get all systems in this plant on line.

No displays yet, although I won't rule out future apps for this and certainly won't rule out SLC controllers. Then I'll have a problem. The company I worked for controls all Northeast for AB. I gave up on them after the first 2 major panels I designed. So I doubt I'll be using SLC500's.... When I get the time, I will have to do some research on WHO to use.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

03/22/2011 12:23 PM

I've seen some add on cards for pc's that looked pretty good

there are lots of smart sensors & freq drives have some functionality

most of the time you can get away from using full blown PLC's you are better off... I'm with you I like the SQd pb's, the contacts are nice & compact, Telemecqunie aren't too bad either

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

01/21/2011 10:51 PM

install the motherboard from the old panelview into the new unit.

I used to do this fairly regularly as the company I was working for didn't want to update the software packages, which cost like$5000 a year

the cpu rarely went bad. the touchpad, screen & occasionally the power supply went bad

start by taking a few bad units apart & trying to recombine them to make good units, you will soon figure out which parts are causing specific symptoms

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #2

01/22/2011 12:10 AM

Sorry , CR4 will only allow me to vote once for you. You are 100% correct though.

Good Answers: 8

01/22/2011 11:18 AM

In newer versions of Factory Talk View Studio Machine Edition (ME) you can save MER's (Machine Edition Runtime) files in older Firmware versions. This will probably only work if you have the entire project not just the runtime file. I believe you need 5.0 or better to recreate the project from just the runtime file. Failing this if you have Rockwell support you might be able to get the 4.0 firmware and re-flash your PanelView to that.

Shawn

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

03/21/2011 9:00 AM

Just a clarification here for those following this thread, the OP was asking about the firmware update for a Standard Panelview (actually a 550 Touch) that uses Panelbuilder 32 software. Shawn33's answer is valid for the newer line of Panelview Plus HMIs.

Register to Reply
Participant
Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member

01/24/2011 3:07 PM

Still waiting to hear back on whether or not the upgrade worked with the Flash card.

Thanks for all help.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Garthh (3); Jimh77 (3); jstolaruk (1); PCODIV2 (1); Shawn33 (1)

Previous in Forum: Pro's and Con's Between CX Supervisor or Indusoft Web Studio   Next in Forum: ETAP Software (Magnetic Contactor Interrupting Rating)

Advertisement