Previous in Forum: DMF-Z Righy- angle Valve   Next in Forum: Looking for Italian Photometry Company
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Participant

Substitution Items

03/19/2011 3:46 AM

Hello Globalspec representative,

I am asked by a manager of operations of a manufacturing company to asses several options of sourcing services providers.

Could you please elaborate on the following: If a purchaser seeks items using part number, what do Globalspec actually provides in terms of substitution items, how can the buyer quickly determine whether or not the subst. are engineering approved for his needs

Thanks in advance,

NP

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: substitution approve items
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Commentator

Good Answers: 7

Re: substitution items

03/19/2011 5:01 AM

The Organization should hire the services of a competent Engineer rest will be taken well care off, as for this portal facility is there to advertise for the vacancy in "Engineering Careers".

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Substitution Items

03/19/2011 9:55 AM

GlobalSpec is an entirely different website. Check here.

http://www.globalspec.com/

In reply to #2

03/19/2011 10:26 AM

I know.... But under ' Questions & Discussion' at the globalspec site they refer to here....

Do you know where at the Globalspec site one can ask such questions ?

Thanks in advance

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

03/19/2011 12:29 PM

I am asked by a manager of operations of a manufacturing company to asses several options of sourcing services providers.

lyn's right. You are going to have to contact the service providers themselves to get the answers to your questions. Some people call this "research", as it applies to a particular project. A google search on specific manufactures should garner you the relevant information........contact numbers, email addresses, etc. Good Luck.

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #5

03/19/2011 12:41 PM

I'm going to post my reply to npr's PM to me below.

Who would determine the acceptability of the substituted items? Who would do the leg work to determine which parts are acceptable in your company, or the company you presently are consulting?

Most companies have different internal procedures for allowing part substitutions.

Standards, such as MIL, FED, ISO already have qualified parts lists (QPL) that list the parts that meet the requirements of the applicable specifications.

The list is only as good as the compiler.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/19/2011 12:49 PM

I think our work is done here. I'd give you a GA, but the GAs on the GA thread are leaving a bad taste. I knocked mine out. There's always the bathtub for cheap GAs.

In reply to #7

03/19/2011 1:23 PM

You're right.

I was going to OT it for you, but decided it wasn't my job.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

03/19/2011 2:07 PM

I don't care if those guys want to rack up GAs. Personally, I'd like to think that the ones I have, at least have some merit. Just a little in most cases.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #7

03/19/2011 11:39 PM

Happy?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #7

03/20/2011 12:49 AM

Who are yew calling cheap?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #3
In reply to #11

03/20/2011 1:18 AM

I agree with #2, who youse calling cheap?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

03/20/2011 12:51 PM

Anonymous 1,2 and 3. Don't get your feathers ruffled. I've got as many cheap GAs as anyone here. The fact that GAs can be awarded for the, "caption this", blog, should put put them in their proper perspective for anyone here. They are not something that anyone should spend time worrying about. I just cancelled out another of mine on the idiotic GA thread.

For the people that spend time fretting about GAs, I would recommend some kind of counseling.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #14

03/20/2011 3:12 PM

Just didn't want anyone to think the denizens of the bath were cheap.

We're not.

We're just easy.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #15

03/20/2011 3:31 PM

Easy? Hmmm..............not sure about that.

Anonymous Poster #3
In reply to #15

03/21/2011 2:47 AM

I'm easy and greezy

Register to Reply
Guru

03/19/2011 10:55 AM

What you want is someone to do your work for you.

NO SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED, without prior engineering approval!

Ask the, "manager of operations of a manufacturing company" to provide engineering support to you, because it is not provided free of charge here.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 3

03/20/2011 5:09 AM

NPR and the rest of you verbal cowboys,

I believe that CR4 is designed to be viable in the long term by offering a serious forum for discussion on topics related to the business of science including ,but not limited to this discussion aspect which draws those with curious minds like flies to honey.To survive in the long term the CR4 forum ,which is an excellent gathering point for articles gleaned from the public internet domain and from for profit publications in one spot by editors ,must generate revenue..This they appear to be getting better at based on the number of global specs one can sign up for..I sign up for most of them but have done so one at a time as an article of interest suggests that that particule global spec would prove useful...It is the combination of globalspec and CR4 that is truly useful to keeping you engaged in what you do..as everything appears to be necessary for the whole of civilization as we know it.

The daily/weekly/monthly global spec offers a veritable encyclopedia of newer products available for sale..This is probably the revenue generator for the corporation.

It helps to get the producer/manufacturer a window to potential buyers/end users that is truly global...I've been a great fan of this site for several years and it continues to evolve in a methodical way,thus far to the good..in my opinion.

You still have to contact the suppliers you are looking for but can get a lot of the information directly from their(suppliers )site which with some key clicking magic on your part (time & effort )will yield surprising results and a wealth of information which of course you will have to glean out yourself.

As an avenue for blogging ones opinion on the stae of the world,etc. it is the best,most flexible,only weakly emmulated by other sites that 've had the pleasure of participating in...Therein is the key...participate/exercise your keystroke skills regularly and the whole CR4/globalspec interface will amaze you..as to its utility for your organization and for your understanding of the world around you

Regards,MWofredbay

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

03/25/2011 11:29 AM

Verbal cowboys? That better be a compliment, buster!

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #18

03/25/2011 3:24 PM

course it is...cowboys were,are,the ultimate purveyors of freedom to be....mw

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

A.A.Khi (1); Anonymous Poster (5); kramarat (6); lyn (4); martin wolf (2); npr (1)

Previous in Forum: DMF-Z Righy- angle Valve   Next in Forum: Looking for Italian Photometry Company

Advertisement