Previous in Forum: Removed Balancing 'Counter Weights' in Crankshaft?   Next in Forum: Oil Analysis During Standard Oil Change
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

2006 Ford Fusion Problems

05/04/2011 9:18 AM

Got a 06 Ford Fusion with maybe a timing issue. The garage is saying the water pump caused the exsaust cam to slip the timing on the front bank. They did check preasure and found presure low on that bank with one being lower tant the other two. No one scoped cyclender to see if valves hid piston. Of course this detimation was made without physicaly tearing into motor. No code checks were performed. On the other hand before the car started to run bad it was making an idling diesl motor sound. Some got any suggestions or had a realated problem to guide me to a not so costly exploration.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: timing
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: BS

05/04/2011 9:47 AM

Uh......................I think that taking the 30 seconds to plug in the code reader would be a good idea...................the codes actually contain information as to what's going on with the engine.

In reply to #1

Re: BS

05/06/2011 1:11 AM

After getting past the service manger to the mechanic I found out more. They did get a code of misfiring which he thought it was the coil pack. Wrong! He went further to do what they called a virtual test on compression not actual. This involved running the motor while the tester interfaced with cars computer. If he had of pulled spark plug and scoped it he would have found valves had kissed the piston. This may have caused more damage by running the car to do the test. I had to come down with my scope and check the front bank and show (use to be a ford dealer) the damage. After that they suggested to crank it up and drive it back into the shop where they would repair it for over $3500.00

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 14

Re: 2006 Ford Fusion Problems

05/04/2011 1:41 PM

I assume that you have the 3.5 engine as this is the only engine that the timing chain is on the water pump. Was the water pump shaft broken or the front water pump bearing failure the cause. Regardless what failed this an interference engine so if the cam timing chain jumped then you are going to have to take the heads off to repair the damage caused by the valves hitting the piston which I am assuming this from your comment "idling diesel motor sound" which I believe you are referring to diesel knock sounds. More info by having a bore scope exam of the low pressure cylinders will identify the damage within the cylinder. Even if there is no damage to the valves and/or piston even to change the timing chain is a major job because of the lack of room to perform the work in the car.

In reply to #2

05/06/2011 1:17 AM

They keep calling it a 3.0 so I will have to check it out for sure. It does have the water pump being driven off the exhaust cam. I did scope it myself and found #5 piston with one small mark from exhaust valve. I was hoping that with this being the front bank it would be easier to fix. Thanks for the info.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #6

05/06/2011 10:06 AM

If it is the 3.0 the water pump is driven by a belt from the camshaft. I have no idea how the water pump could cause the timing chain to jump since it is driven by an external belt where the cam is driven by a chain. If you go to this link it will show you step by step procedures to not only replace but also check the cam timing. I would also check the cam lobes and bearings for wear that could explain why the exhaust valve contacted the piston. If the head is still on you could do a leak down test on the cylinders and find where the cylinder leak is caused by intake valve air leaking out through intake, exhaust valve leak air leaking out through exhaust, leak through crack, blown gasket, piston, or rings you will see air escaping through radiator or crankcase vent. Good luck I hope this will help you finish diagnosing the failure cause. If I am able to help you more just post results and I will try to help. If you have to go in n check the timing then make sure that the chain tensioner are operating properly because if the cam did jump then you will have to find what caused the timing chain to jump as it is much more difficult for a chain than a belt to jump time.

Good Answers: 1663

05/05/2011 6:45 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

05/05/2011 12:35 PM

The price of borescopes is getting cheaper every day. Harbor freight sells a model for about $150, and while you are there, check out the OBD2 code readers. They should be around $30. This will allow you to make an honest evaluation of your problems. The last service may have erased the existing codes, but the existing faults will reset the codes again for you. Good luck.

In reply to #4

05/06/2011 1:21 AM

Thanks I do have one with a camera and light. So once I took it to the ex-ford dealer now service and used car sales I showed them on the screen of my scope that they should have found.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bear Simmons (3); bob c (1); Jspeop (2); kramarat (1); lyn (1)

Previous in Forum: Removed Balancing 'Counter Weights' in Crankshaft?   Next in Forum: Oil Analysis During Standard Oil Change

Advertisement