Previous in Forum: 2006 Ford Fusion Problems   Next in Forum: Grease Fittings
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Active Contributor

Oil Analysis During Standard Oil Change

05/06/2011 5:22 AM

Does the use of oil analysis for used oil after regular change for each equipment compartment (i.e. engine crankcase, transmission case, differentials, hydraulic tanks, etc.) will be a help in maintaining the affected machine?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

Re: Oil Analysis During Standard Oil Change

05/06/2011 5:31 AM

The user Manual for the Volkswagen Polo simply advises changing it every 10,000 miles.

Good Answers: 21

05/06/2011 6:44 AM

I one word "yes". But, the analysis needs to be read by someone who understands what it is saying. You will also in most cases need to have some history on equipment with oil samples. High spikes in copper, Cr, or other metals can mean serious things are happening.

I would suggest some reading up on the use of predictive maintenance and the use of oil analysis. Lots of good publications out there. Also your oil supplier is a very good resoruce for this information as well. They may even supply this service at no charge (depending on your useage histroy).

But, by all means this can save many hours of down time if completed correctly.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10

05/06/2011 11:36 PM

Sometimes, it's better to sample the oil periodically and change only when the analysis shows a need to change. This adds the cost of analysis, but saves on the cost of new oil. Ask yourself whether the extra cost or the savings is greater?

Good Answers: 3

05/07/2011 12:23 AM

I would say the answer, YES or NO, depends on how you would respond to the analysis.

If a normal wear condition is displayed, then what are you willing to pay to prevent the device from aging as is normal to life and use?

If the expectancy of a device is a certain number of hours or distance, is there any gain in trying to better the engineered life? If you were to super-p.m. an gasoline engine say, and could see 400,000 miles from it, what of the condition of the other systems? [wiring life expectancy; shock/suspension; cloth interior].

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 67

05/07/2011 3:18 AM

There is no use of oil analysis for used oil after regular change, if you are analysing properties of lubricant like viscosity, acid number, moisture content etc. These analysis are required if you want to decide about whether to change oil or not.

But, if you do 'wear particle analysis' of the used oil, it will give an indication that which part of the machine (bearing, gear, crank etc.) is fast wearing off and need to be addressed.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #5

05/08/2011 10:30 AM

There is no use of oil analysis for used oil after regular change,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you on that point my friend, I have always sent off oil samples after an oil change and most machinery manufacturers will recommend it, and dependent on those results and simple "on board" oil tests for water, carbon content, fuel dilution and acidity (which I might add are extremely easy to do and very useful), you can keep a very good check on the oil.

Hydraulic oils, for some obscure reason, seem to be overlooked by many operators or maintenance personnel, and about 80% of hydraulic breakdowns are caused by oil contamination (water and inadequate filtration of oil are two of the more common problems) ............and these breakdowns can so easily be prevented by regular oil checks.

Good Answers: 2

05/22/2011 6:18 PM

A comprehensive evaluation of used lubricants costs in the neighborhood of 300/USD
If you drive a Veyron it makes sense. Stick to the recommended period and oil type. Don't listen to all the "experts" as to what they think. The seldom do (think) they just shuffle their opinion off at the drop of a hat. Use what the builders say, then if your car fails blame the manufacturer. Sundog

Good Answers: 4

05/23/2011 10:44 AM

Hi

The use of oil analysis has been common for years on mining and construction plant (you do not say what vehicle you had in mind). It is used to predict the need to change fluids as well as to see what items may be wearing/failing. Caterpillar have had this service available thro' there dealerships for many years. The major oil companies all offer such a service. It saves money and time.

Regards

Oliver Dunthorne

Hydraulic Engineer

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

fixitorelse (1); HarryBurt (1); JAGwinn (1); MOBI (1); Oliver Dunthorne (1); pritam (1); PWSlack (1); Sundog (1)

Previous in Forum: 2006 Ford Fusion Problems   Next in Forum: Grease Fittings

Advertisement