Previous in Forum: Sun neutral Axis.   Next in Forum: Legal requirements for calibrating DMMs
Close
Close
Close
26 comments

CO2 laser glass tubes

04/14/2007 3:30 AM

Hi all, what is the factor in sealed glass laser tube to get 10000-hour life span?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: CO2 Glass tube Laser Resonator
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: CO2 laser glass tubes

04/14/2007 11:43 PM

Hi: The answer is anode cathode size /laser discharge voltage/plasma discharge current/ cathode design/plasma discharge length/ gas pressure and amount of gas in the reservoir. the correct amount of he-n2 and co2..Happy 10.6 microns Mr x

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

04/14/2007 11:52 PM

Dear Guest,

Can you be more specific?

Can I contact you by e-mail for more detiles?

Best regards

Jacob

toplas@walla.com

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

04/15/2007 12:04 AM

Hi I gave you the low down to start with. I am not going to design the laser for you. Hint see Sam's laser facts. Mr X have a nice time.

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

04/15/2007 12:17 AM

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your hint. I have visited Sam's Q&A already.

My question was because there are laser tubes (China made) with 1000 hour life span, that have the same dimensions as those with 10000 hour life span.

I presume that if one can produce a tube with 10000 hour life span he will do it.

But in China it is not done. So, it must be some technical reason.

So I ask what is it?

Jacob

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #4

04/15/2007 12:42 AM

You'll have to forgive Mr. X, we try to keep him in his cage, but from time-to-time he escapes and heads right for the keyboard! "Bad Mr. X! Bad! Get back in your cage!!!"

Anyway, a simple guess would be:

1. How much power are they trying to get out of particular tube design.

2. If they're getting lots of power out, are the tube's components (anode, cathode, gas supply, etc.) designed appropriately for the power levels.

3. I'd also look at the predominant wavelength they're producing. I would assume that this would be a factor. I believe there's a ~2000nm frequency and a higher ~1064nm frequency. The higher the frequency, the harder it might be on the tube.

Also, you might want to try Wikipedia. Hope some of this helps.

In reply to #5

04/15/2007 2:05 AM

Dear Guest,

I did not understand:

You'll have to forgive Mr. X, we try to keep him in his cage, but from time-to-time he escapes and heads right for the keyboard! "Bad Mr. X! Bad! Get back in your cage!!!"

?????????????????

Anyway, I try to understand the CO2 100W laser tubes issue.

If the dimentions of CO2 100W tube has 1000 hours and other is the same but has 10000 hours life span, so I would like to understand where are the differences.

Jacob

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

04/15/2007 7:54 PM

See my previous posting. I have a 40 Watt CO2 laser tube. It's a nice piece of glass work. God knows, I don't have the steady hands or patience that it would take to make one like this.

However, just like anything else you buy (a car, light bulbs, a radio, etc.) you can use cheap parts that won't last long or you can use better, more expensive, parts that will last a lot longer. And if you really want something well built, you can over engineer it beyond anything it will ever have to go through.

Remember there's hot, excited gas and plasma in the tube while it's running. So ask yourself what you think are the parts that are going to wear out first. Possibly the cathode, the anode, and the gas within the tube. I don't think the glass tube will wear out, unless, of course, you don't cool it properly.

If I were you, I'd ask these companies (I'm assuming you know them) how are their cathodes and anodes constructed. How thick are they? What type of material is used? Does the tube contain a built-in water jacket? How much supply power are they pumping through the tube? Is it a DC or RF current? Or, just straight out ask the 10,000 hour company how they get that much life out of their tubes. That's what email is for.

In reply to #8

04/16/2007 1:00 AM

Dear VERMIN,

Thank you for your post.

Jacob

Register to Reply
Power-User
Peru - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Genetics - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

In reply to #5

04/15/2007 6:46 AM

Mr. Vermin, reason why I read, you must work with laser.

They give me an argon laser, by factory replacement, [(Max 150mW CW 450-515nm – Class IIIb, the Standard to which the product was classified EN60825-1:1994/A11:1996) Model Number GLG3078 – Rating: 24Vdc,0.3A - 3Vdc,13A - 70-100Vdc,9.1A / Manufactured:June,2003]-(the timer mark 13873 8 hours to 1/10 the last number).

I have never worked with laser, the operational manual it says 10,000 hours to use, "The question?" = - "Think that it is worth the trouble to repair power light?" – "I not, what idea has application could give him, I would use it like experimenting, my new toy" - According the report it works, but to lowered its power - also I have the source, it's ok, Model number GLS3078 with CN4 connector 25 pines, to control the source, you know how connected?. I don't see the service manual, it is my following step, by rough estimate of good technician, whatever you consider the cost, if it is worth the trouble, or I can use it as this estate.

I thank to you, if you want something of biosecurity I help you. I have an electronic laboratory something equipped.

I show diagram to you of the laser.

In reply to #7

04/16/2007 1:20 AM

Grage Tesla, I apologise, but I really can't understand what you are asking. I'm sorry. Perhaps you can put it in other terms?

Peru - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Genetics - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

In reply to #10

04/16/2007 2:58 AM

Dont worry, single it wanted to know like making work this laser. I have never worked with laser.

Thank you, for your preoccupation.

Tomás

In reply to #11

04/17/2007 12:56 AM

GT, let me see if I can figure out your question... It sounds as though someone gave you an ion laser to play (work?) with. If yes, a couple of warnings:

1. The power supplies for these things put out fatal voltage, so watch it. Even after they're shutdown and unplugged, the voltage has a tendency to hang around for awhile!

2. The pin-outs for the connection between the laser head and the power supply are complicated. There's a round, multi-pinned connector on one type and a square, multi-pinned connector on the other. I wouldn't go poking around either of these connectors with a Volt meter or oscilloscope probe. Doing so is looking for things to go BANG!!!

3. Be careful of the laser tube in the laser head. While on, these things run very hot, and have lots of nasty voltage.

4. If you break the tube, hold your breath and get the heck outta there. There's some nasty chemicals inside these ion laser tubes.

My best advice is if you have an ion laser, unless it's a complete system with a working head and the correct corresponding and working power supply. I wouldn't try messing with it. It's just too risky unless you're familiar with the system.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

In reply to #7

05/28/2010 9:30 PM

I just got this same laser and am hoping to find out some information from you...

Did you get yours working?

I bought a power supply and hope to configure it to operate the laser...

Register to Reply

In reply to #7

05/29/2010 10:52 PM

Hi, I am wondering if you ever got your GLG3078 laser going??

I have the same laser and am trying to figure out how to power it. Do you have any information for me? :)

Thanks!

Jay

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

05/30/2010 2:12 AM

You said that you bought a power supply--is the power supply specifically designed for an ion laser tube? Do you have the correct cable for connecting the laser to the power supply? Usually, there's another device that plugs into the power supply, it's a control box that allows you to control both the voltage and current going to the laser?

As far as building a power supply from scratch... I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole!

Anyway, answer the questions above, and I'll see what else I can tell you.

In reply to #16

05/30/2010 2:28 AM

I have a thread in laser pointer forums that shows pictures of the laser with specs, as well as the power supply that I hope to get to work...

I have been reading about the possibility of jumping a couple of pins on the control plug in so that the PSU will work without the controller.

I do now know about argon lasers. So I have not done anything yet. But am trying to get help...

Please see the pictures here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/argon-connection-help-51221.html

Register to Reply

In reply to #17

05/30/2010 2:30 AM

Oops, forgot to log in...

And correction... I do NOT know about argon lasers... :)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

05/31/2010 11:06 PM

OK. These argon lasers come in two formats... A box with a fan on top (looks like this is the kind you have), and a cylinder, where the fan goes in back. In both of these formats, the cable comes from the laser head and plugs into the power supply.

In the picture, you're holding the plug that should connect to the power supply. So, does your power supply have a corresponding receptacle?

In reply to #19

06/01/2010 12:25 AM

No, that's the problem. I cannot find the correct power supply for my Showa GLG3078. (same laser as shown above)

So I bought a JDSU 2111 PSU and need to learn how to adapt the connection. Or find out if I can buy the Showa3078 PSU...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/01/2010 3:04 AM

Considering these things are obsolete, your best bet is to look on eBay. A new power supply will probably cost a bundle.

Good luck finding a wiring diagram for the JDSU.

Also, why don't you just buy a diode laser?

In reply to #21

06/01/2010 11:00 AM

I just got message this morning that the e-bay seller of the JDSU has refunded my payment and said that the PSU has been misplaced...

So I guess I need to find a PSU of some sort that can be adapted...

About your question. I do have many other lasers. But this is my first argon laser. It is a project. (I like projects) I have many laser projects shown here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/jayrob-projects-tutorials-listed-here-44228.html

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

06/04/2010 3:48 AM

Looks like you have experience... So why the problem finding a power supply for your argon???

In reply to #23

06/04/2010 11:02 AM

I have laser experience yes, but not with argon's. From what I understand, the PSU for an argon is very complex. And it must be configured to control the filiment, the fan, as well as the laser itself...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

06/05/2010 1:24 AM

Yeah, but those types of lasers were made by the millions. Here are two places I frequently search on eBay for laser stuff. Perhaps you can find a power supply...

http://business.shop.ebay.com/Industrial-Lasers-/53141/i.html?_armrs=1&_dmd=1&_from=R9&_ipg=&_pcats=42882%2C1266%2C12576

and

http://business.shop.ebay.com/Lab-Lasers-Photonics-/109452/i.html?_armrs=1&_dmd=1&_from=R9&_ipg=&_pcats=26231%2C11815%2C12576

Good luck.

In reply to #25

06/05/2010 1:36 AM

Thanks for those search parameters! :)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/13/2008 8:53 PM

Hi, I am new and I have a plan to purchase Laser CNC Machine for Sign business.

first what is the defiend bettween Meal Tube and Glass Tube and whiche one is better and way.

second CO2 Lasers any good and what are others?

i try to cut Acrylic and wood and rubers they offer me 100 to 120w power. is this power good for cutting 20mm x 50mm wood and plastics.

Thanks,

Masoud

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 26 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); Grage Tesla (2); jayrob (6); Jlew (4); vermin (9)

Previous in Forum: Sun neutral Axis.   Next in Forum: Legal requirements for calibrating DMMs

Advertisement