Previous in Forum: Seeking a Way to Detect Underground Voids in Lava   Next in Forum: Touch Screen Displays for Micrologix 1400
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Impact of Device ID of HART Devices

06/27/2011 8:40 AM

Dear all,

I am commissioning some of the HART Transmitter using AMS suite of one of the well-known company, the problem I am facing for a bunch of transmitter is that out of all 6-7 devices the software can communicate with only one transmitter on HART Protocol although all transmitters are sending good PV . When i checked the individual Devices using Handheld HART communicator, I found that for all of Devices the Device ID is same and it is Zero.

My question is that is it possible to have same Device id for same model/type devices?

and is it the reason for devices which are not showing in the AMS software?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 176

Re: Impact of Device ID of HART Devices

06/27/2011 9:14 AM

Hart devices come from the factory at address 0, because that's the address reserved for point-to-point communications with a handheld hart communicator (communicator wires directly to the a single field device's loop).

Addresses higher than zero are always and must be used for multidrop HART comm when multiple devices are on the same 'loop network' and access to the data is through a HART multiplexor box. The current 'loop' is a fixed constant value on a HART multiplexed network, so the only viable data comes through HART.

I don't know how AMS (Emerson's Asset Management S software) works, specifically in terms of how it addresses devices, but given that AMS is a product intended to run in a DCS environment, I would have thought that it would be configured using tags. Have you given each device a unique tag name?

As a non-user of AMS, I would assume that multiple (of the same model) field devices could use address zero, because otherwise there would be a huge logistics issue involved in knowing what device ID number a given field device used in order to talk to it point-to-point with a handheld.

Feedback on what you discover would be appreciated.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

06/27/2011 9:25 AM

I think i have not properly phrased the question, I am not talking about polling address of HART devices, What I want to convey is the sensor number/or Device ID which i believe is unique for every device, every manufacturer.

And all devices are connected directly to the multiplexer no multidroping is done. its not the AMS system from Emerson, it is FDM from Honeywell. Each device has a Tag name and I have observed that if the tag names are same it shows first device name as per tag name and then the second device comes as the Tag name_Conflict tag, which means it polls the same tag name devices, but i am not sure if it can poll the same device ID one devices?

Participant

In reply to #2

07/04/2011 9:04 AM

Dear all,

Device Id for any HART Device is a Unique identifier. I have faced problems with the HART communication for the same "Device Id" devices. Only one Device appears on the network (which is connected first) although all are coneected. and if this device is connected other one (only one) will appear.

In these cases please contact to device vendor and seek thier help.

07/23/2011 12:44 PM

Do you mean the all the transmitter have a same tag number? try to change the tag number using HART in the setup menu..and see the result

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Banana86 (1); Iris (1); Yogi-igoY (1)

Previous in Forum: Seeking a Way to Detect Underground Voids in Lava   Next in Forum: Touch Screen Displays for Micrologix 1400

Advertisement