Previous in Forum: What Kind of Things Do I Need to Know When I'm Learning the Fabric or Textile?   Next in Forum: Sewing machine problem
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

small force sensors

06/28/2011 1:02 AM

I'm looking for a (thin 1-2 mm) sensor to measure forces over time. I have contacted many Piezo manufacturers but most are currently working on gas sensors. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of such a device?

Thanks!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

Re: small force sensors

06/28/2011 2:04 AM

Searching on "load cells" or "strain gauges" might work. (I don't think piezo is quite the right concept.)

Good Answers: 182

06/28/2011 2:51 AM

Describe better your application as force magnitude, uncertainty level and available space. If you come within some limits it is possible to suggest even 0.5 mm sensors. If for you piezo is a quartz sensor (or similar) then it is totally not usable since it is operational ONLY with high dynamic loads. This is related to the physics of "piezo" electricity. If you think "piezo" resistive sensor they can be used for low dynamics as well.

Register to Reply

06/28/2011 6:05 AM

Thanks for the comments and redirection. I'm looking for multiple force sensors that one could apply to the palm of the hand (or glove) or insert in shoes to measure forces applied while lifting weight OR while running. As well, small enough and wide enough to measure the impact applied acros a shoulder pad or a knee pad in a sporting event.

Good Answers: 182
In reply to #3

06/28/2011 10:06 AM

Look at TEKSCAN they have a sensor exactly for what you want to do it is a thin shhet sensor FLEXIFORCE.

Register to Reply
Participant

08/29/2011 5:18 PM

This may be a little late in the game, but you may also want to try some FSR sensors. Interlink makes those and I think you can find them on DigiKey for cheap.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

nick name (2); techjeff (1); Tornado (1); vett66rob (1)

Previous in Forum: What Kind of Things Do I Need to Know When I'm Learning the Fabric or Textile?   Next in Forum: Sewing machine problem

Advertisement