Previous in Forum: What Are The Beads Inside Of A Ramvac Air Compressor Tank Made Of?   Next in Forum: Interactive Period table
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate

Rust, Carbon, Paint Measurement Devices/Technique

07/31/2011 1:25 PM

i am searching for some technique or device to measure the rust on a component , carbon collected due to oil and grease application over a period of time. I actually searching for something that can quantify rust, or carbon deposition on a metal surface. Please share information, if anybody know in this regard

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: rust, carbon, paint measurement devices , technique

07/31/2011 1:45 PM

Check out ultrasonic film gauges

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243

Re: Rust, Carbon, Paint Measurement Devices/Technique

07/31/2011 11:04 PM

Weigh container (beaker) and then Weigh component and container. Wash part with diethyl ether or acetone until all organics are removed. Weigh beaker alone after all ether and acetone are gone. Burn off beaker to vaporize the oily greasy residue. Allow to cool. Weigh beaker. Subtract original beaker weight.The difference is of rust and or ash removed in the ether process. The next to last weight minus the original beaker weight is weight of all oily greasy pick up plus rust and ash. Difference between these will give you weight of oily greasy contaminants. I am using weight/mass concept interchangably here. For ease of communication. Milo It goes without saying that the difference in weight between original contaminated component and final cleaned component is also eight of lost residues plus whatever loose rust comes off during procedure. Milo

In reply to #2

08/02/2011 2:18 PM

this process can help us in telling the oil, greasy components, but is it possible to measure the rust, carbon content with some device and then quantify it with some unit. Actually, i have a chemical to clean old oil, grease treated, rusted and painted components, but that chemical sometimes partly clean the component and sometimes completely. I actually want to define the chemical capability with respect to rust, carbon, and paint thickness on the component. With this, i will be able to predict, whether this component will be cleaned or not

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

08/02/2011 2:27 PM

Carbon content is not your issue, the amount of rust is , as I understand it.

How do you want to know the Rust- by mass (weight) or thickness?

And how many is in a lot, and can you afford to destructively test or not?

I cannot tell you how to measure thickness of rust non destructively, save by using a micrometer prior to brushing off grinding rust, then remeasuring.

Or weighing, acid pickling, then reweighing.

All of a sudden you now have paint on the component too?

Milo

In reply to #4

08/03/2011 2:05 PM

i can only do non destructive testing, and i am looking out for thickness measurment, and i think there are some devices available which can measure the thickness , but i am not sure. Paint was there, it some how didn't come into disscussion, Its like, a component once painted, when used for a long time, now got contaminated with rust and carbon, and now i need to make it free of rust, carbon and paint, and make it back to casting surface, or machining whichever is applicable Problem is, i can not estimate whether it will get cleaned or not, unless i clean it. I want to do an inspection of component before cleaning which can quantify these parameters like that by thickness. Paint thickness, i feel can be measured, but rust and carbon???

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

08/03/2011 2:49 PM

I think that you are asking the wrong question. If you want to get back to bare metal, the answer is you can shot blast, glass bead blast, dry ice blast, or sand blast and make all those surface items go away. Set up some trials and determine standard processing times per square foot (meter) or for par tdisplacement in cubic inches(centimeters).

Then use those to build your quote.

best regards.

Milo

In reply to #6

08/04/2011 8:41 AM

yeah that is true, but blasting time will also differ with the level of rust or any other contamination. I have tried shot blasting on one component, but that time differs with level of contamination, how can we generalise it only with area. Even in that case, if i am right then i need to measure contamination before the process. On some components, i have a constraint for blasting, so i need to treat it with chemical only

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

chetan11 (3); lyn (1); Milo (3)

Previous in Forum: What Are The Beads Inside Of A Ramvac Air Compressor Tank Made Of?   Next in Forum: Interactive Period table

Advertisement