Previous in Forum: Hylum   Next in Forum: Can Laptop Battery Be Revived? Part 2: Result
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Vibrations

08/06/2011 12:21 AM

I want to produce high frequency viberations to see the behaviour of welded metals. is there any ready equipment aviable in market ?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: viberation
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

Re: viberations

08/06/2011 1:31 AM

Lesson in English spelling:

1) viberations = vibrations (close!)

2) mtelas = metals (Whooo! This one really needs work - you had all the letters and no extras - that is worth a few points. Just reverse letters 2 & 3, and 4 & 5. You will then have your perfect word).

3) aviable = available (maybe a little lazy by not using the spell checker?)

Aside from these, grammar and punctuation are OK (except you didn't capitalize the first word of the second sentence)!

What is the range of frequencies you are talking about? What is the power threshold? We need more detail on what you are trying to do.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

Re: viberations

08/07/2011 11:49 AM

Mikerho....

Perhaps he is truly interested in "viberations in mtelas" .... this could be some type of cultural celebration in his home country. Perhaps it's a tribal dance or festival in some place called "mtelas"...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Vibrations

08/06/2011 11:54 PM

"see the behaviour of welded metals"

Do you want to inspect welds

Do you want to inspect metals?

Do you want to see how metals conduct vibrations?

What behavior do you want to see?

I'd start with a frequency generator an amplifier and a transducer.

Then I'd have a sensor, and a scope.

Now, what do you really want to do?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

08/11/2011 11:08 PM

Your interest in experimental acquisition of data is commendable. To satisfy some other threaders - and me, you might try imagining what the behavior of the welded metals might be under vibration, then make a guess - or even several guesses - about the frequencies and power levels needed to produce the behavior you are imagining. Using simple equipment as above, try to detect any effects. The power required should be less for small welds. Detection of some behaviors should be easier with larger welds. How small do you think you could make the welds? How big? Once you have detected behavior, you can better select equipment.

The goal of most weld technology seems to be oriented towards making the weld "invisible", or looking like a single piece of metal. Maybe you could find a use for some of the weld behavior once you find out what it is. Would you let us know?

In other words, I don't know any pre-made equipment for doing this.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #4

08/11/2011 11:36 PM

I want to break the crystalline solids using viberations. Glass can break at very low viberations than how much any metalic solid needs ?

bye

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #5

08/12/2011 1:06 AM

Metals are usually considered to have a different internal structure than crystalline solids. Glass, which you used in your example, has yet another type, mixing part crystal and part supercooled liquid. Steel, which is very a common metal for welding, has many different characteristics, from soft malleable to brittle, high strength. Metal welding can take place between different metals with different characteristics. Also the act of welding involves high heat (as one method) with melting or partial liquifying of the components. This heat treatment makes the weld itself have different physical characteristics from either or both of the materials being joined.

I state these things as background for your activities. I assume that what you will be testing is individual shapes of two or more parts with each part being a specific shape. With the above information, a simple cylinder of two similar cylinders welded together end to end can be composed of a range of different internal compositions from one end to the other. Is it the joint (weld) that you want to break, or is it the shape that you want to break?

If what you want to break is the crystalline solids, then welding metals or glass is not what you want, it is crystalline solids. This is an interesting field, since it includes ceramics. In addition to some input from the above comments about metals and glass, crystalline solids can have varying strength in different directions, depending on the crystal size and orientation.

To keep things simple, maybe you should try glass breaking as a beginning exercise. The power and frequencies should fit into the acoustic range so that you could possibly use inexpensive sound equipment with a computer and screen - or you could just start by breaking glass with controlled sound and storing the information. You should see enough to know how to upgrade your equpment.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (1); veerendra (1); woodpower (2)

Previous in Forum: Hylum   Next in Forum: Can Laptop Battery Be Revived? Part 2: Result

Advertisement