Previous in Forum: What are Nerve Signals?   Next in Forum: Historic Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Health Hazards Involving High Voltage Power Lines

10/14/2011 6:57 AM

I live near a large power plant. There distrabutions lines are approx. 1000 yds. away. The government claims that there are no health risks. The power company has bought some properties and homes near the lines. The loud snapping noises they make during a light rain makes me think otherwise.

Should I be concerned for my family's health.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Health Hazards Involving High Voltage Power Lines

10/14/2011 8:29 AM

I would say no, but here's some interesting reading.

This is another one of those cases, where the sopposed evidence is all over the map.

My question is? If EMFs are that dangerous, where are the studies on the most obvious group of all..................the line workers, utility workers, etc. that are exposed to high levels of electomagnetic radiation on a daily basis? One would think that they'd be dropping like flies. I suspect that there is nothing to find, therefore it doesn't fit into the scare mongering, therefore it is completely omitted.

I personally think that at 1000 yards, you have nothing to worry about. You're over 1/2 a mile away.

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #1

10/15/2011 6:31 AM

http://www.powerlinefacts.com/ may be interesting reading but it's not strong on facts. Repeated asertions that "the latest research shows" with no references to that research, and several pages last updated about a decade ago. The flashing "news" on childhood lukemia dates from 2005.

Interesting, yes, reliable, no.

Guru

Good Answers: 5

10/14/2011 10:07 AM

DOE or WHO should give proper guidance.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #2

10/15/2011 1:32 AM

Hmmm. I would put the DOE right up there with the FDA on this issue.

Good Answers: 137

10/14/2011 11:07 AM

Maybe someone here will want to do the math but I suspect that you have some lines with approximately 20 KV near your house (other side of the transformer) that probably expose you to stronger fields than the 500 KV to 1 MV lines 1/2 mile away.

Good Answers: 31

10/14/2011 12:21 PM

Sell your home super cheap and move immediately - Someone will get a bargain and live there quite happily with no worries.

Guru

Good Answers: 774

10/14/2011 4:13 PM

I live in Grand Forks ND in the mid 90's and I had one of the main three phase supply lines literally running directly over my house and yard. I think it was a 128KV or there abouts and I rather enjoyed sitting out in the yard in the calm evenings listening the static crackle they gave off. I found it rather therapeutic and calming myself.

I really liked the damp and cool evenings the most and the few sleet storms that caused the insulators to have periodic weak flashovers was awesome to watch!

Guru

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #5

10/14/2011 10:42 PM

Is it allowed as per codes to construct a house below a HV overhead line. Did you verify from authorities what is the minimum distance(horizontal/vertical) of a building from a HV overhead line.

Associate

Good Answers: 2

10/15/2011 12:51 AM

I have worked in powerstations in the field for 36 years, the last 26 years in a nuclear plant where the workers are all under scrutiny in order to spot any ill effects arising from the nuclear side of the operations, using statistical methods. Obviously the first things they will be looking for in that context are cancers and systemic diseases which are the very ones you would also expect to find in anyone living close to power lines, if there was anything to be feared from them. However, if anything the nuclear workers seem to be even healthier than the general population. Statistics does not find differences in death rates between the general population and the nuclear workers from any causes.

As far as I know there have been several studies of the effects of living near powerlines in the past, but none of them came up with any definitive answers other than to say that if there is an effect it is very small and it may be either benign or malign.

By the way there is also a multi kV line running about one kilometer from my house where my family and I have lived for the last 22 years without any ill effect.

Hope I put you somewhat at ease

Good Answers: 102

10/15/2011 4:50 AM

It is too late to be concerned. Make the most out of what life you have remaining.

10/15/2011 5:54 AM

Approx 20 years ago I was putting some SCADA screens into a operator cabin for an electric arc furnace. The guys had been working there for many years without any problems. Screens in the cabin could often be seen to be distorting VERY badly so I added some mu-metal screening (which was very effective).

To get the right amount I measured the magnetic field in the cabin, lowest reading was 180 milli-Guass, highest was off the scale (max scale 200 mG)!! These guys were often outside the cabin as well and they cabin did add considerable screening on its own.

I remember an article in the IEE magazine (I think) at the time with a survey on houses very close or immediately below overhead power lines (275kV & 400kV). In that in stance they measured around 35mG maximum. So my conclusion at the time was that there is no problem with magnetic fields near power lines (this being a hot topic in the UK at that time).

Guru

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #10

10/15/2011 12:13 PM

It would be far worse today - the amount of power that can be charged to an EAF keeps climbing. Last time I was in a plant they were at a max power rating of about 120 mW - the entire place rocks and rolls at that time. Those were DC EAFs

Plenty of proof out there is one wants to look for it. The types that want to worry will do so regardless of what has been shown.

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

10/15/2011 11:19 AM

If you want info look to occupational health effects of EMF. There will be more info and studies done for occupation health then the home owner living by power lines.

What I found is case studies of those workers whom are ill says yes there is a link to exposure.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/134/4/340.short

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l7552r1n446nwt47/

The government down plays it with there is just not enough evidence.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/assets/docs_a_e/assessment_of_health_effects_from_exposure_to_powerline_frequency_electric_and_magnetic_fields.pdf

What did find a little strange is the CDC's links to some of the studies came up not found. Even the link to the NIEHS report above.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #12

10/17/2011 1:59 PM

There are so many causal factors in our environment that lead to a weakened organism and ultimately death. Stress among family members and other close relationships would rank high on my list. The stress of losing a close relationship, too. Type of food intake would be high on my list.

I'm not sure EMF exposure is a standout for most of us. But we do live in a sea of radiation -- both from natural and man-made sources. All the listed factors have a cumulative effect and can be lumped under the heading of stress.

Power-User

Good Answers: 14

10/15/2011 11:41 AM

Transients caused by rapid switching are where the danger lies. Transmission lines at 60 Hz are probably harmless since the rate of change of the magnetic field is slow, and Faraday's Law says that the effect is proportional to the rate of change.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

10/17/2011 3:12 PM

I'm curious, were the transmission lines there when you bought or rented your house?? I've seen and heard complaints about this and Airport Noise. It's funny how people will move into an area where there's power transmission lines or under the flight path going to and from an airport. There was a case in Fresno, Calif. where they built a school within 1000 yards from an existing set of transmission lines. Then about 15 or 20 years later, a couple teachers and if I remember right, a couple of kids came down with cancer. The Fresno City School District filed a suit against PG&E, who owns the power lines. That case went to trial and the Court found that the transmission lines were there first and if the school found a problem with them, then the school needed to close the class rooms that were the closest to the lines or close the school down. And, like the Airports, people will move in next door or under the flight path of an airport then start complaining about the noise. I seen this happen with Stapleton Airport in Denver Colo. When that airport was first built, there was nothing but open fields around it. Then the Cities of Denver and Aurora starting building around the airport and of course people started complaining about the noise. So the result was they moved the airport about 10 miles East. And of course, in 10 or 15 years from now, the noise complaints will start all over again.

So, I guess my question is, "Who was there first, you or the Power Transmission Lines?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BruceFlorida (1); dj95401 (1); evanmjones (1); Far (1); kramarat (1); machine builder (1); ozzb (1); pnaban (2); regsoft (1); russ123 (2); tcmtech (1); Wal (1); wilmot (1)

Previous in Forum: What are Nerve Signals?   Next in Forum: Historic Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes

Advertisement