Previous in Forum: API Class vs. Schedule Pressure Ratings   Next in Forum: Flow Rate of Air
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Active Contributor

Reedvalve Usage

12/10/2011 3:17 AM

I am thinking about other or different ways to distribute fluids in closed circuits. For some reason I came to remember reed valves as the ones used in 2-stroke engines to have some nice properties. They work at very high frequencies and they are light weight compared to for example ball type one-way valves.

My question now is, is there any spread sheet or similar available, where you can see how much pressure a valve with a certain area times the thickness or blade will hold? For example take a small 2-stoke one with approx. 1 cm^2 and 0.25mm thickness blade.

Second question, does the shape matter? In many engines the holes are as square as possible to allow maximum flow. Would a round or drope shaped hole resist pressure better?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1744

Re: Reedvalve Usage

12/10/2011 10:19 AM

Urban Dictionary: drope

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=drope

the combination of dro and dope. meaning excessive awesomeness.

Determining the shape of drope will take some time...we have our best people working on it though and expect a breakthrough soon....please stand by

12/10/2011 10:59 PM

I looked for unsuccessfully info about these valve.Please share if you find some.Thanks.-

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102

12/11/2011 3:18 AM

Apparently shape does matter:

http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1914&context=icec&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.kh%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dreed%2Bvalve%2Bport%2Bshape%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D3%26ved%3D0CCYQFjAC%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fdocs.lib.purdue.edu%252Fcgi%252Fviewcontent.cgi%253Farticle%253D1914%2526context%253Dicec%26ei%3DA2DkTq3dB5GciQenvvC2BQ%26usg%3DAFQjCNFqV77bqcvxk9Exs5whDAyOtO10kQ#search=%22reed%20valve%20port%20shape%22

That study was for a compressor.

Reed valves are a targeted component for performance enhancement in two stroke IC engines. You may get some more clues at websites that deal with motor racing engine tuning.

Your local, friendly piano accordion player will probably have an opinion too.

Resist pressure as in reed rupture or as in leakage?

What are thinking of using them in?

In reply to #3

12/11/2011 6:00 AM

Thanks a lot. It was what I was looking for. But if somebody else have other or more relevant studies, I'll be happy to see that too. :-)

I'm thinking of it for a tiny tiny hydraulic oil pump discharge. I need small mass because I want high frequency. Therefore I was thinking that a ball type or poppet type one-way valve could limit the performance.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #4

12/11/2011 6:42 AM

2 cycle outboard motors use reed valves between the carb and crankcase. Very highly developed,with tension,shape & stops. Hp's of 300 + aswell as lots of racing development.info. Hope that info is useful.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ferquiza (1); jaysauto1 (1); smedsgenbo (1); SolarEagle (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: API Class vs. Schedule Pressure Ratings   Next in Forum: Flow Rate of Air

Advertisement