Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 12

No CR4 Editing Formatting Available on iPad

12/10/2011 1:46 PM

When posting from my ipad, whether using the native Safari browser or Opera Mini, there are zero options for formatting available. Even the new paragraph when I press Carriage Return/Enter does not appear, all is just one long paragraph - this is the major frustration. Am I missing something, or is this a current limitation I must live with? I noticed some old posts that intimated that only IE & FF are supported by the editor, but was wondering if there are any new developments.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: editor iPad opera mini safari mobile
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1733

Re: No CR4 editing formatting available on iPad

12/10/2011 2:09 PM

You might try this....

Websites: For viewing regular web pages, visitgoogle.com/gwt/n from your mobile phone, type the site's address and hit Go.

This Google Transcoder service reformats the layout of websites and also splits large web pages into multiple parts so navigation becomes very easy.

And if are on a slow connection or pay for every byte of data that you download, just turn off the Show Images option so web pages will load faster and you also play less charges to the service provider.

Internet Search: For web search on mobile phones, opengoogle.com/xhtml and turn on the "Format web pages for your phone" option available under Settings.

Thus all website links that appear in Google search results are automatically reformatted to fit on your tiny mobile screen.

Blogs and RSS Feeds: If you like to follow your favorite blogs on mobile phones, opengoogle.com/gwt/n and type the URL of any blog.

Next click the link near that orange XML icon and the blog will automatically open inside Google Reader - the display is highly optimized for mobile phones and you can also use keyboard shortcuts.

Bonus Tip: Once the page has loaded inside Google Transcoder or Google Reader, add that as a bookmark in your mobile phone browser so you need have to type the addresses anytime again.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #1

12/10/2011 7:26 PM

Solar that was excellent - how are you on iPhones?

Good Answers: 1733
In reply to #2

12/11/2011 3:16 PM

Generally, I'm ahead of the curve....

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: No CR4 Editing Formatting Available on iPad

12/10/2011 11:25 PM

You have to manually apply the formatting into your text as you type. The rules are listed in the picture below:

For example, for a paragraph you must type in [ P ] without the spaces either side of the letter P.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

12/11/2011 5:18 AM

Inserting those formatting tags is a good solution for brief replies; for long replies with lots of hyperlinks it's a nuisance. My OS X versions of Safari, Firefox, and Opera don't show the formatting toolbar either. Only Camino shows the toolbar, and as yet there is no version of Camino available for the iPad.

The Atomic Browser has received quite a few favorable reviews, and will set you back ninety-nine cents. If it will show the toolbar, well and good. If it won't, you haven't lost much. I don't have an iPad. This isn't a testimonial. However, it might be worth the risk.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #4

12/11/2011 9:57 AM

there is a Chrome app too

which will give better access to the entire suite of G stuff

picasa, docs, global bookmarks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #3

12/11/2011 11:47 AM

A useful, but undocumented, formatting tag is [ br ], which starts a new paragraph without a blank line. If I want a blank line between paragraphs,[ br ][ br ] may be more convenient than [ p ] (paragraph text) [ /p ]

In each case, leave the spaces out of the enclosing brackets.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #6

12/11/2011 9:15 PM

The [ /P] is not required, just the [ P].

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #3

12/12/2011 2:13 PM

Thanks to all for the responses!

For now, the [ P ] will do the trick, as well as the [ br ] tag. But I'll be trying some of the other advice too. Maybe the google workaround will do the trick on my BlackBerry as well.

Thanks again, all!!

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

09/09/2012 8:41 AM

its still ridiculous, why does every forum I have ever used work fine except this one ?

My mac book pro with safari has the same problem as well.

the square brackets need 4 keystrokes each ..

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (2); bubbapebi (1); edignan (1); Garthh (1); gideon (1); phph001 (1); SolarEagle (2); stoney (1)

Previous in Forum: UNSUBSCRIBE   Next in Forum: Curiosity

Advertisement