Previous in Forum: Fatigue Crack Growth in Dissimilar Welded Joints   Next in Forum: Cycloidal Bicycle Gear
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

What Power is Required by a Cement Mixing Auger?

12/16/2011 3:04 PM

Dear CR4,

I have looked on the internet, but didn't find what I was looking for. I need to know what the power (HP) requirements would be for a helical auger (Archimedes Screw) to move heavy wet material (ie. concrete) in a trough?

Is there a formula that can optimize auger diameter, and work out power requirements for varous lengths of trough?

Please watch my animation for an idea of what I'm thinking of.

Thanks,

Chris

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: What power is required by a cement mixing auger?

12/16/2011 3:15 PM

Will this be horizontal transport only?

Concrete comes in many grades/viscosities/aggregate sizes. Worst case???

This??GENERAL CAPACITIES FOR SCREW CONVEYORS CAPACITIES

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #1

12/16/2011 3:41 PM

Hi Lyn,

Yes, horizontal only. Aggregate/grade/viscosity will vary from dry to liquid (unmixed) as well as up to 4" rocks. so it has to be tough and durable too.

thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 15

12/16/2011 3:16 PM

Chris,

Look for screw conveyors. A company like Martin Sprocket or Thomas Screw conveyor. (I don't work for either but I have used their products)

There should be a PDF that will include Engineering info.

good luck.

In reply to #2

12/16/2011 3:43 PM

Hi ddk,

I did poke around a bit to a few sites.. but didn't really find something that would tell me how to size a hydraulic (or other type) motor to drive it. I think ideally I would use a hydraulic (pto driven) pump and motor.. but what fluid volume do I need i need?

as I'm making a proposal/submittal to mgt.. I wanted to be able to show calculations proving the design.

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

12/16/2011 3:53 PM

one site

Another site see Section H in their PDF catalog

Conveying up to 4" rock, probably a 12" or larger screw conveyor just to prevent jamming.

The conveyor will probably be a custom, maybe wear bars, thicker flights, etc.

It would probably be wise to start working with a sales rep and get some rough ball park figures.

In reply to #5

12/16/2011 4:01 PM

thank you so much. Those are both awesome... esp the first one

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #5

12/16/2011 4:48 PM

Is your lake frozen over yet?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

12/19/2011 7:43 AM

yup. about 10 days ago. somebody is ice fishing. Not sure if it really safe enough yet.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Canada - Member -

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #4

12/17/2011 1:01 PM

Chris,

The calculations necessary to work a horsepower or torque back to a suitable hydraulic drive are pretty straightforward. A google search should find the equations. Heres one. (this site has some cool hydraulic animations) Even better, go to a hydraulics house--there are tons in Calgary or Edmonton--and tell them your torque/rpm specs and how you need to drive the pump. You will also need to know if you want the drive to be constant speed or variable--it can be a big difference in cost.

If this is a stationary application hydraulic may not be the best way to go--an electric gearmotor drive attached to the shaft is a lot simpler for a stationary application.

Guru

In reply to #16

12/18/2011 12:49 PM

Thanks,

I don't think I need variable speed. I think that hydrualic drive is probably my first best option.

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 129

Re: What Power is Required by a Cement Mixing Auger?

12/16/2011 4:16 PM

Drop Garthh a PM, he did quite a lot of investigation into a mixer a lot like that for Haiti

In reply to #7

12/16/2011 4:25 PM

I was thinking that too, when I found this the other day... I was wondering if it was the result of his efforts.

cheers

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #8

12/16/2011 5:21 PM

I had kicked around a few ideas with the guys at cement trust

they are using mostly stuff off the shelf from cart-away [batch plants]

the unit you see from cement trust has a 12 hp 400cc honda engine & 10 gallons of hydraulic oil to make 1/2 meter batches

this solution is cheaper than an add on PTO unit, which start at $2k, though I'm sure something could be fabbed up for less depending on what components are available

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

12/17/2011 9:08 AM

Years ago, I built a dynamometer to measure the power required to transport asphalt based paving material by such a screw for road paving machines. Manufacturers of these machines have formulae that work pretty well. I suggest you contact them. Hydraulic motors are the most common drive in the paving equipment industry.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

12/18/2011 12:44 PM

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 116

12/17/2011 10:58 AM

Hi chris.. I remember using something like you animation to pump wet mortar, we had a 15HP 3ph 60Hz motor with a variable gear box, the auger RPM was about 15 - 20 RPM. It does depend on how fast you want to move/pump your mix and we moved a lot of mix.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #12

12/17/2011 11:02 AM

was the variable a reeves drive?

Guru

In reply to #13

12/17/2011 11:05 AM

something similar....

but made in the UK... :)

In reply to #14

12/17/2011 11:24 AM

sure

What would you call it in Britland?

Guru

In reply to #15

12/17/2011 1:34 PM

as John Wayne would have said.... "Well hell yes!!" :))

In reply to #12

12/18/2011 12:46 PM

thank you. I'm not sure yet about variable speed... but I probably don't have a requirement for that.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (1); brich (3); chrisg288 (7); ddk (3); Garthh (3); lyn (2); sawmilleng (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Fatigue Crack Growth in Dissimilar Welded Joints   Next in Forum: Cycloidal Bicycle Gear

Advertisement