Previous in Forum: raaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm   Next in Forum: Wind Load Calculation in PVElite
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Active Contributor

Test Stand Certification

12/21/2011 4:40 PM

We have fabricated a test stand which consists of a 3" xxh pipe 4130 Annealed HT to 100000 yield. The ends are 7/16 Autoclave fittings and hammer unions. We are planning to use the test stand for hydrotesting our pressure relief valves. But before we put it to use, we need to get it certified for the pressure rating. Are there any governing bodies or agencies who can certify such testing units?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 16

Re: Test stand certification

12/21/2011 7:06 PM

First off, I would think it depends upon your location. After that Norma Regulation 13 for pressure vessels would be a good start.

My guess is hydrostatic test by an accredited firm offering your pressure vessel (because that is what it actually is) a certified test to 1.5 times its maximum working pressure.

Another point is, will you have a "master" pressure relief valve on your testing vessel? If so it needs to be independently tested as well.

But.... If you intend to be testing high pressure relief valves, shouldnt you know this already???

Tim

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: Test Stand Certification

12/22/2011 10:39 AM

Perhaps a telephone call to the Engineer/Surveyor from the company supplying burst indemnity insurance cover for the facility would be the best approach?

Good Answers: 21

01/03/2012 5:33 AM

You didn't state your location, nor whether you are a user, manufacturer or repairer of PRV's....

Certification bodies include Lloyds Register; ABS; DNV ; UL and PTB to name a few.

Google these for more info regarding your specific application.

However, if you doing maintenance for a running plant, it is best to discover which body has certified the plant/ elements of the plant, and approach that one.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

01/04/2012 12:09 PM

Hilton,

Thanks for your response. We are located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. We are the manufacturers of buckling pin type pressure relief valves and we do have the ASME certification.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #4

01/06/2012 2:43 AM

alokd,

ASME is a Standards body, ie they generate and publish standards for engineering applications, and are not a Certification Authority. Your factory may produce valves according to ASME standards, but this does not imply any certification as such.

The Certification body is an independent Authority, who certifies that you are indeed manufacturing in compliance with ASME standards. I don't want get long-winded here, but this is basically independent Quality Assurance to your customers.

eg If I were to purchase PRV's from you, I would need to be assured that they were manufactured (i) from the correct materials (certified and traceable) (ii) according to correct standards and specifications (in this case ASME) and (iii) I need this information to be verified by an independent 3rd party.

The certifying bodies I am familiar with in the USA are UL (Underwriters Laboratories), FM (Factory Mutual) and ABS (American Bureau of Shipping......see their website; I believe they also do land-based installations).

If you supply in quantity to large industries/ companies, it may be helpful to ask them which Certification Authority they prefer. It is not at all uncommon for equipment to carry multiple certification.

That's it from me...

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

01/06/2012 9:17 AM

Hilton,

Thanks for your response. We usually have the inspectors from DNV or Lloyd's registrar come in our shop for the third party inspection. I might get in touch with them.

Thanks!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

alokd (2); Hilton (2); PWSlack (1); Tim in Mexico (1)

Previous in Forum: raaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm   Next in Forum: Wind Load Calculation in PVElite

Advertisement