Next in Forum: Theo Jansen's Walking Sculptures
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 245

Calculating the Pumping Capacity of the Human Heart

05/01/2007 9:00 AM

Hey, is there any engineer tried to calculate the capacity (power) of a human heart as a pump which is capable to transmit the blood to all body equipment & terminals through a very long and complicated network of venous and arteries.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Re: Calculating the Pumping Capacity of the Human Heart

05/01/2007 3:39 PM

Dr. Jarvick (sp?) who invented the mechanical heart probably did. Look for him in Utah, USA

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - USA Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Never enough money

Good Answers: 4

05/01/2007 8:55 PM

Hey, is there any engineer tried to calculate the capacity

I would say that many engineer's have over the years, a few doctors too. Here is a link to some info about the volume of the heart.

Enjoy

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 20

05/02/2007 8:06 AM

The Biomedical Engineering Handbook edited by Jos. Bronzino has a good overview of this.

http://www.amazon.com/Biomedical-Engineering-Handbook-Joseph-Bronzino/dp/084930461X

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

05/02/2007 10:39 AM

The answer is Heck Yes; it happens practically every day in the development of, for example, cardiac ultrasound machines.

We're always coming up with new ways to indirectly or even directly measure preload, afterload, segmental contribution, pressures before, inside and after valves...the heart's output is studied to a degree that maybe even F1 engine designers can't match.

Just for example, we now calculate plastic deformation/wall stress to determine which particular areas of a single chamber (the left ventricle, usually) aren't contributing enough, are compensating, or are dead and aneurysmal.

This is analogous to, yet more extensive than determining ring friction, gas flow, pressure and power differences from one cylinder to another.

05/03/2007 1:37 AM

Its been a while but we used to do cardiac outputs in the ICU I worked/ It involves a patient having whats called a triple lumen sawn ganz catheter in the sub clavian/ex or int juggular/ or the subclavian. the catheter runs through the vein to the heart and into the pulm artery. Iced water is injected into a port just before the heart and a timer is started. There is a temp probe at the end of the cath and the time it take to show a temp change is calculated back as cardiac output. now a days I beleive that they use CT or MRI that can measure individual stroke volumes and just multiply by the rate. hope this helps

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

05/09/2007 4:03 AM

One of the beautiful things about circulation of the blood is that the Reynold's Number is less than 2300 everywhere. It does keep the pump power requirements down to a minimum...

01/10/2009 1:40 PM

On the basis that the human heart pumps the average blood contents of the average human body 3 times a minute and that the average human body contains 5 litres of blood and the average human lives for 70 years.

A heart can pump 8200m3 of blood in its life. thats the same volume as 3.3 olympic swimming pools!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

andyhorning (1); Anonymous Poster (1); jhammond (1); PWSlack (1); Richard L (1); ryliescience (1); Tom Kreher (1)

Next in Forum: Theo Jansen's Walking Sculptures

Advertisement