CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Batt Drain   Next in Forum: Reducing Fuel Consumption in IC Petrol Engines
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Two Wheel Front End Conversion For Motorcycle

03/06/2012 7:09 AM

Now that I'm getting into my twilight years, I need to convert from riding a two wheel motorcycle to a three wheeler. The Spyder looks good. However, since I have a two wheeler (1999 Harley Dynaglide) that's already paid for, I would like to convert it to a three wheeler. I would like a front end assembly that I could attach. It wouldn't take much to connect the two wheel front end to the front of the motorcycle. I tried to find some front end assemblies like I need on "Google" to no avail. Someone please advise me where to go (not there!!) to find a front end that would work. The cowling or cover and fenders can be added after the front end is attached and functioning properly. The front end on the Spyder might work, but, I don't know where to purchase them except from Spyder. I think they're made by Mercedes. Any ideas?

Have some fun today,

PAPADOC

RMFR

I'll live my way until Willie sings. (PAPADOC 2012-01-06)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 269

Re: Two Wheel Front End Conversion For Motorcycle

03/06/2012 8:09 AM

Don't see many trike conversion kits to make them dual front wheel. I you google Trike Conversion kits you may find others.

Did find this one.

http://www.biker-events.com/2007/12/28/how-would-you-like-to-convert-your-bike-into-2-wheels-in-the-front/

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197
In reply to #1

03/07/2012 5:45 AM

What a fantastic bit of kit. Thanks for posting it...

Good Answers: 1

03/06/2012 1:47 PM

don't know of your capabilities, but I think the front end of an old beetle could be used. You would have to narrow it up a bit and move the control to the center, but it would be a good place to start!

Register to Reply
Participant

03/06/2012 6:40 PM

Your budget would be one of the bigger factors. A tubular mustang II front end is readily available, light weight and can be easily narrowed. Many custom hot rod builders use the tubular suspension for a very lightweight build.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 39

03/06/2012 10:41 PM

Since your problem is likely keeping it from falling over when stopping, why not think out of the box and make a fast-acting hydraulic retracting center stand? With proper width, brake-linked operation, and urethane ball bearing kart wheels for start-up stability, it should work. If you can't keep a motorcycle balanced when rolling above about 10 mph, maybe you should get an electric car.

03/07/2012 8:53 AM

How is this NOT cool?

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #6

03/07/2012 12:54 PM

An empty box? Not impressive....

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 3

03/07/2012 11:22 AM

Check out this page for a conversion to two front one back wheel

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/02/09/trt-the-tilting-reverse-trike-harley-conversion-from-too-kool-cycles/

looks decent except for the droopy snoot.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

03/07/2012 1:03 PM

Like it all, even the nose, many thanks for posting!!

Good Answers: 3

03/19/2012 7:46 AM

California Sidecar has been working on this type of conversion, at least for a Goldwing. Give them a call. They have been showing it off at Americade for the last 3 years.

11/06/2014 11:09 PM

Hi the man who would like to put two wheels on bike there is lots of people who make these one is the trike shop uk cant tell you how much it would be hope this helped

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Gabe.at.spdftsh (2); ormondotvos (1); ozzb (1); rrnut-2 (1); Satcom-Bill (1); Ti QE (1); trikman (1)

Previous in Forum: Batt Drain   Next in Forum: Reducing Fuel Consumption in IC Petrol Engines

Advertisement