Previous in Forum: For DSS 31803 and DSS 32205 Material Can be Welded ?   Next in Forum: Ball Technic System for Condenser Tube Cleaning
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Associate

Centrifugal Pump

03/07/2012 3:58 AM

Is manually operated centrifugal pump available ? I am looking for domestic purpose ,to pump about 500 liters of water to 8 meters head.How about use of bicycle axal coupled with pump through suitable gear aarrangement ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Power-User

Good Answers: 21

Re: Centrifugal pump

03/07/2012 4:15 AM

Of course it is possible but I would think you'd be better to buy a small centrifugal pump if this is something you'd be doing regularly. Is there a reason you chose centrifugal pump and not a positive displacement pump or something like a spiral pump?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

Re: Centrifugal pump

03/09/2012 8:14 AM

Thank you for reply.Not only for pump,I have been playing with an idea ,to design manual operated device ,using easily available and simple machine (like bicycle),which can be easily coupled with various domestic appliances like pump,washing m/c,mixer-grinder and similar Motive behind this is scarcity of electric power.Pl suggest .

Positive displacement pump is ok ,but not spiral pump-it may suit to site here.

Regards

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Centrifugal Pump

03/07/2012 8:12 AM

8 meters is a LOT for a manual centrifugal pump to lift.

Go with some type of positive displacement pump.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 28

03/07/2012 8:12 AM

You need to tell us a little more about the system/application.

You also should know that centrifugal pumps require a good deal of suction head. The pump will have to be submerged, or be supplied from a tank or other supply that has a sufficient height of fluid above the inlet.

Google Net Positive Suction Head or Tutorial for Centrifugal Pumps.

In reply to #3

03/09/2012 8:18 AM

Thank you for reply

Required suction head is available

Regards

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 125

03/07/2012 11:31 AM

Do a Google search on "drum pump". These should fit the bill and they are cheap.

Guru

Good Answers: 54

03/07/2012 11:21 PM

Look at how much human power you'd need to do this.

Using E = mgh, gives 500kg*9.8m/s²*8m = 39,00J, then assume some losses (say ~50%) to get an energy expenditure of ~80kJ.

If a small person can generate ~75W continuously, then that's pedalling for 80,000J/75J/s =~1100s (about 20 minutes).

So Yes, a bicycle based pump could work well. It would be a good idea to look at the different types of pump, (for this amount of head it may be best to use a positive displacement pump).

In reply to #5

03/09/2012 8:23 AM

Thank you for real good engineers answer !!Please refer to additions I have made against 1.

20 minutes of cycling -will keep me and my wife fit !!

Regards

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 116

03/08/2012 3:10 AM

Well, its different question.. with a possible "Maybe" it can be done!

The lift/ft, that is the amount of lift the pump give to a fluid is dependent on the RPM. This is usually calculated on the RPM of electric motor either 50Hz or 60Hz and that is for 1 stage of a multi-stage pump.

For example: 1 stage of a pump at 60 Hz (3600 RPM) can lift fluid 10 foot (lets not worry about the rate of fluid just now). If you need to lift fluid 100 foot you need 10 stages. As you reduce the RPM or slow down the pump that figure of 10 feet, becomes smaller. I don't think that you would be able to pedal your pump up to 3600RPM and deliver the HP required by the pump to achieve these required figures.

The problem with manually powering a pump is the weight of the fluid produced can be greater than the pump discharge pressure (pressure of fluid leaving the pump) and the column of fluid will never reach the desired height or level, as the RPM of the pump MAY not be sufficient to give you the required discharge pressure.

That is the simple way of why it might not work.. however, finding a suitable pump and I'm guessing that a pump RPM of about 800-1200 RPM with the right number of stages would give you what you want.

BUT... and there is always a but.. it will take a lot of pedal power.. I could go on the bore you with figures of how many stages you might need, how much horse power per stage, how that equates to RPM etc... none of which you really want to know. What do do need to know is that it will take a superhuman effort to pedal this amount of water, I don't think a centrifugal pump powered by legs is the way to go, no matter how you have it geared. Can you not find a small single phase generator, a small 10HP motor and a large water tank so you only operate this pump once a day?

Positive displacement pump have been suggested... might work.. but you still need to be able to produce the horse power to drive those, and it would be almost the same, and to be honest given the rate of fluid you ask for the height to be over come, two very important figures, the calculations for power required, pump RPM, pump stages/flow rate would be nearly the same.

Then there is the cost of the pump..... if you are going to make an investment you want it to work, even if its a second hand pump. So if you can, invest a little bit more money and get a small Gen Set and suitable electric motor.

please let us know which way you go and the results

In reply to #6

03/09/2012 8:27 AM

Thank you for detailed answer .

Regards

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

03/08/2012 3:36 AM

?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #7

03/09/2012 8:31 AM

Thank you for reply

Can this be coupled with power manually generated by bicycle ?(with the help of gear arrangement or some thing else ?)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #17

03/10/2012 5:18 PM

It's powered by arm, not leg.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 20

03/08/2012 3:46 AM

I have not seen manual operated centrifugal pump but manual reciprocating pump driven by bicycle mechanism, for almost similar service are seen some times in urban areas.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 116

03/08/2012 6:26 AM

Your question got me thinking, so I did a bit of looking.. and to my surprise i came up with this.

Archimedes Screw!

follow the link and check it out

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/ApMech_p039.shtml

you will ned to copy and paste into you browser.

Good Answers: 21

03/08/2012 7:10 AM

Spiral pump. Like this

http://www.earthgarden.com.au/waterwheel.html

I've made one, they work well but not sure if I'd like to provide the pedal power. The one I made was using flowing water so no manraulics involved but you could set it up for pedal power.

Register to Reply
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

03/08/2012 11:30 AM

For a bicycle-powered water pump, have a look at this.

A Google search turns up quite a few other references for bicycle-powered pumps.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 20

03/09/2012 6:32 AM

There is a link below in which practical conversion of cycle driven pump project has been shown with costing as well. The inventor could pump 2.5 gallon per minute at 18 ft height. He has given the plot of flow vs height but I think at 8 mtr height flow per minute will be smaller.

ceae.colorado.edu/mc-edc/ppt/WheelDeal.pdf

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); brich (2); cwarner7_11 (1); Dilip Dombivalikar (5); ffej (1); lyn (1); MACA (2); Mukesh0861 (2); PMoon (1); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: For DSS 31803 and DSS 32205 Material Can be Welded ?   Next in Forum: Ball Technic System for Condenser Tube Cleaning

Advertisement