Previous in Forum: Fluid Flow Software Question   Next in Forum: Ball Screw :Calculate the Torque
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Foot Pounds of Torque Calculation

03/13/2012 1:35 PM

I'm trying to calculate how many foot pounds of torque on a bolt head will produce 6600 psi of clamping pressure at a 1:1 lever ratio

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: calculate
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

Re: foot pounds of torque calculation

03/13/2012 1:49 PM

I don't know that you can reliably calculate this. I would measure it with a product from http://www.sensorprod.com/.

The measurement is a sheet of special paper that you place where you want to measure. There will be more info on the web site. (not an endorsement, I have just used this product) I think they even provide a few free sample sheets to see if it will work in your application.

Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 28

03/13/2012 2:09 PM

Use this link for a conversion. You just need to input bolt size (major), and clamp force (axial tension of the fastener). For instance: I input 7/8" (.875") for bolt size along with 6600 lbs, and got a torque value of 1155 in-lbs (96.25 ft-lbs). That is 6600 pounds of force; however, not pounds per square inch (psi).

03/13/2012 2:33 PM

maybe this is clearer, how many ft lbs torque on a 3/8-16 bolt head to create 6600 lbs tensile force in the bolt (apples to apples?)

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #4

03/23/2012 11:49 PM

Lyn, doesn't anybody count past the number 1????????

Brilliant search results though. Does it really make you feel smart to post a link to a bolt shear stress calculator for somebody asking about clamp load?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

extraverso (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (1); PMoon (1); r8flex (1)

Previous in Forum: Fluid Flow Software Question   Next in Forum: Ball Screw :Calculate the Torque

Advertisement