Previous in Forum: Potential Difference   Next in Forum: Sound Coming from NER/NGR with Minor Current Flow
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

What is the Difference Between ELCB & RCCB

03/17/2012 11:28 PM

Sir,

Pls Explain the basic function & difference bitween ELCB & RCCB.

Regards,

R R Raju.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Re: What is difference bitween ELCB & RCCB

03/17/2012 11:47 PM

Difference between ELCB and RCCB

• ELCB is the old name and often refers to voltage operated devices that are no longer available and it is advised you replace them if you find one.
  • RCCB or RCD is the new name that specifies current operated (hence the new name to distinguish from voltage operated).
  • The new RCCB is best because it will detect any earth fault. The voltage type only detects earth faults that flow back through the main earth wire so this is why they stopped being used.
  • The easy way to tell an old voltage operated trip is to look for the main earth wire connected through it.
  • RCCB will only have the line and neutral connections.
  • ELCB is working based on Earth leakage current. But RCCB is not having sensing or connectivity of Earth, because fundamentally Phase current is equal to the neutral current in single phase. That's why RCCB can trip when the both currents are deferent and it withstand up to both the currents are same. Both the neutral and phase currents are different that means current is flowing through the Earth.
  • Finally both are working for same, but the thing is connectivity is difference.
  • RCD does not necessarily require an earth connection itself (it monitors only the live and neutral).In addition it detects current flows to earth even in equipment without an earth of its own.
  • This means that an RCD will continue to give shock protection in equipment that has a faulty earth. It is these properties that have made the RCD more popular than its rivals. For example, earth-leakage circuit breakers (ELCBs) were widely used about ten years ago. These devices measured the voltage on the earth conductor; if this voltage was not zero this indicated a current leakage to earth. The problem is that ELCBs need a sound earth connection, as does the equipment it protects. As a result, the use of ELCBs is no longer recommended.

Other Links

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/59517/Difference-between-ELCB-and-RCCB-RCD

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/54636/Difference-of-ELCB-and-RCD

ELCB, GFCI, RCCB, DCDF TESTERS

AUTOMATIC TESTER DEVICE FOR EARTH LEAKAGE CIRCUIT BREAKER

Training and Assessment resource

Reply Good Answer (Score 8)
Power-User

In reply to #1

03/19/2012 3:42 AM

I would echo everyone's praise when i write "Well done nobody somebody47". Thank you for your excellent answer it has at least increased my understanding about ELCB and RCCB. And i wish you a very very well.

Guru

Good Answers: 116

03/18/2012 7:21 AM

now you've had your homework done for you.. will you give credit to the person who gave you the answers? Probably not!

For future reference.. CR4 DOES NOT DO HOMEWORK.

Google it first.. if you are smart enuf to find CR4 then you are smart enuf to enter what you want in google and understand the answer....

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #2

03/18/2012 8:38 PM

Perhaps nobodysomebody47 should also give credit where it's due:

Difference between ELCB and RCCB (about half-way down the page).

Nice find, but know what I'm saying?

In reply to #3

03/19/2012 3:02 AM

I gave him credit in a personal message

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #4

03/19/2012 3:10 AM

But who gave credit to electrical engineering portal, which was the source of his verbatim copy-n-paste? [Edit: Unless he wrote it for them].

In reply to #5

03/19/2012 4:52 AM

Hi JohnDG,

This technical article is written by EEP's technical writer mr. Jignesh Parmar - electrical engineer with more than 10 years experience in power transmission and power distribution.

It's not a copy/paste.

Best regards,

In reply to #7

03/19/2012 7:13 AM

Hello ecsanyi,

I am sure you hate copy and paste but let me know how you accept to post such topics without any reference to your website. Ask your author for the reference before posting it. See the original link. Can I become an author by just adding two or three pictures to anyone else topics without any reference. Original link

http://thermalpowerplant.wordpress.com/mcbmccb-elcb-rcbo-rccb/

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #7

03/19/2012 7:48 AM

Thanks for the information.

Therefore, unless nobodysomebody47 is the same person as Mr. Jignesh Parmar, the information in post #1 (which is attracting so many GAs) was posted without due credit. That's all I'm trying to establish.

In reply to #3

03/19/2012 7:11 AM

Have you ever noticed that it is really written by that guy. By just adding two three pictures to someone's topic will become an author. let me give you the original link. Now tell me whom should I give the credit?

http://thermalpowerplant.wordpress.com/mcbmccb-elcb-rcbo-rccb/

Guru

Re: What is the Difference Between ELCB & RCCB

03/19/2012 7:24 AM

Gentlemen, one and all...

Are we not getting of the point of the OP's question?

So "Nobody" answered it.... in my humble opinion, he answered a homework question, someone else's opinion, he copied it without reference to its source. Well, Nobody is new to CR4 as is JGg.

So lets not worry about who wrote what and who copied what, the point is why are we doing someone else's homework?

So what we need to do is understand the person that replied, "are they a newbie?" and gently coach them on the "UNWRITTEN" rules of CR4!

Can we do that?

And remember... WE all make mistakes... so be a little bit forgiving!

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

03/19/2012 9:24 AM

I am suprised that anybody answered the OPs question.

He obviously to lazy to do a few internet searches himself. It was not a problem question just a information request not worthy of a reply.

03/19/2012 2:28 PM

An Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB) is a safety device used in electrical installations with high earth impedance to prevent shock. It detects small stray voltages on the metal enclosures of electrical equipment, and interrupts the circuit if a dangerous voltage is detected. Once widely used, more recent installations instead use residual current circuit breakers which instead detect leakage current directly. Purpose The main purpose of earth leakage protectors is to prevent injury to humans and animals due to electric shock. A Residual-Current Circuit Breaker (RCCB) is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. Such an imbalance may indicate current leakage through the body of a person who is grounded and accidentally touching the energized part of the circuit. A lethal shock can result from these conditions. RCCBs are designed to disconnect quickly enough to prevent injury caused by such shocks. They are not intended to provide protection against overcurrent (overload) or short-circuit conditions.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

brich (3); ecsanyi (1); garth (1); JGg (2); JohnDG (3); nobodysomebody47 (1); rageshchandran (1); salahuddin zia (1)

Previous in Forum: Potential Difference   Next in Forum: Sound Coming from NER/NGR with Minor Current Flow

Advertisement