Previous in Forum: Laser Product   Next in Forum: Pressure Vessels_Head Calculation_ASME VIII Division 2
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Associate

Pressure Vessel Fabrication Procedure

04/03/2012 11:48 PM

Where can I find information for the fabrication procedure of pressure vessel? From dish forming, shell rolling...... to PWHT, NDT that required.

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Pressure vessel fabrication procedure

04/03/2012 11:59 PM

Fabrication Details

What are you building?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

04/04/2012 1:25 AM

Vertical Methanol Hold-up Drum. I need to know the procedure step by step for the fabrication process so that I can buy the materials required and prepare for the schedule.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #2

04/04/2012 4:18 AM

Why not ASME VIII???

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #3

04/04/2012 5:02 AM

Ya, I know. ASME VIII is so thick. I just want to know the simple step by step fabrication process, which should comes first and which should comes later.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #4

04/04/2012 6:04 AM

CX go to You Tube "Pressure Vessel Fabrication" there are some videos about fabication steps. I hope they can help you. Good Luck. WP

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #5

04/04/2012 9:50 PM

Thanks, I have watched almost all the available video on youtube which is related to pressure vessel fabrication.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #4

04/04/2012 8:10 AM

There is a reason why ASME VIII its so thick.

http://www.asme.org/about-asme/history

methanol as you know is a hazardous material. And a pressure vessel on top of it.

don't take short cuts.

Its not so much as which comes first, its a matter of a safe product and procedures.

Also, I do not know your location, I did not take the time to look at your profile. But, local ordinances may have requirements on the construction of these types of tanks.

In reply to #6

04/04/2012 9:54 PM

Thanks for your info

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

04/04/2012 10:57 AM

That's the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time. This is a dangerous way to approach the fabrication of a potentially deadly item.

Don't do it if you aren't willing to know why you are doing it.

I've watched many movies of pilots flying airplanes. Would you want to fly with me based on the tiny bit of knowledge one can assimilate by watching a film clip.

Get the specification, read it and know it , or find a different job.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

04/04/2012 10:59 AM

selective evolution comes to play here. or I should say

In reply to #8

04/04/2012 11:04 AM

Yes, but unfortunately, the victim probably won't be the person who didn't bother to have, read, or know the details of the applicable specifications.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

04/04/2012 11:06 AM

true

In reply to #7

04/04/2012 9:48 PM

This is just an example of the product that my company is fabricating. I know that I am fresh in pressure vessel fabrication . My senior engineer is guiding me as a project engineer. I just want to know a rough picture which should comes first and which should comes later. For example, after shell rolling and dish forming , what should I do. And, what QC and NDT that need for the drum.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #7

04/04/2012 10:04 PM

Don't worry. This is just an exercise. My senior engineer just ask me to do presentation on the steps of pressure vessel fabrication. And, perhaps, I know why and what I am doing.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

04/04/2012 11:37 PM

Presentation? Do you have a shop, define your goal ask the people in the shop on the procedures. Believe me they will have more respect that you want practical procedures. Then you can work at the pressure requirements. Define the goal, and work backwards.

Re: Pressure Vessel Fabrication Procedure

04/05/2012 1:37 AM

I don't Know about Pressure Vessel but if you want build or form an Item with this high resolution 3D printing with 28 micron layer thickness Isn't just for big budget enterprises. With Objet's family of low-cost desktop 3D printers, Designers and Engineers can build true to life models and prototypes featuring ultra-precision details staight from the office desk. The Objet24 Personal 3D printer is the first office system to print true-to-life models - featuring strong materials, small moving parts, thin walls and smooth, paintable surfaces. contact 3D-Printer>Objet Desktop Family

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 244

04/05/2012 1:57 AM

Free download the following files for fabrication of pressure vessel and dished head:

Pressure_Vessels_Fabrication.
Hemispherical_Head_-_J_Bown.

In reply to #17

04/05/2012 5:00 AM

Thanks Guru!

Register to Reply

In reply to #17

11/06/2014 9:22 AM

Dear Galala,

Links are broken, colud you please reload them?

Regards

Cemal

Good Answers: 30

04/05/2012 9:40 AM

The reason that it is essential that people (all of them, even engineers) understand process, is that in order to meet safety guidelines (from hammers to ASME pressure vessels), fabrication facilities must be capable of appropriate construction methods, material handling requirements, tooling, regulations, inspections, etc. ASME does not tell you how you have to make a shell roll, in fact there are several reliable and acceptable methods. Do want an engineer that knows the one his boss shows him, or maybe knows about three more that could be more cost effective or have a higher reliability? So lighten up, CR4 web surfer experts, cxcxcx0505 is attempting to understand the process. It's great that you woke up one morning knowing all of this, but most of us take a traditional learning approach, steeped in capitalism, that refuses to listen to naysayers, and that reflects the increased value that a person will gain by increasing the store of knowledge they have. He understands that responsibility to learn equals opportunity to grow. Jeez.

In reply to #19

04/05/2012 10:13 AM

We were not that hard, You have to realize we needed the information to help him. And we cannot assume anything, at least I will not.

btw,

'ASME does not tell you how you have to make a shell roll,'

No but it does inform your about about minimal material deformation requirements during fabrication, or don't you know that.

The process is on the web, there is nothing wrong with that, unlike 20 years ago when I started working with pressure vessels.

And having Abdel Halim Galala as a member here, is an asset. I wish I knew Abdel 20 years ago. Most all his replies I subscribed to are because of his input.

I have to say, it is nice to see after the information is release to be able to make such a statement. Good for you.

In reply to #19

04/05/2012 10:18 AM

Bull!

Who put you in charge!

"So lighten up, CR4 web surfer experts," INDEED!

The OP wants someone to give him Cliff Notes on vessel fabrication because he's too lazy to go through the proper process to learn it himself.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

04/05/2012 10:26 AM

The statement that through me off is about the thickness of ASME standards. that was the first clue.

Hey lyn, what are you doing next Thursday? We got something planned for you.

shoot, i mean't to post off topic.

In reply to #24

04/05/2012 10:42 AM

I'm getting my halo re-plated on Thursday.

Can I come casual?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

04/05/2012 10:47 AM

I hope your halo isn't too big?

we have room for one more........bring a friend.

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #23

04/05/2012 10:36 AM

I believe he asked about where to find information about fabrication. You think the poster is too lazy to learn. Quite the contradiction. If you don't know how to help him, just label him lazy.

If you don't want to help him, why don't you just read another thread?

In reply to #25

04/05/2012 10:38 AM

The other threads are too thick.

Let me quote the OP,"I need to know the procedure step by step for the fabrication process so that I can buy the materials required and prepare for the schedule."

Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 3

04/05/2012 10:05 AM

I truly hope you are NOT going to fabricate a pressure vessel based on watching you tube. Find an experienced engineer who has a background in this.

In reply to #20

04/05/2012 10:18 AM

He pretty much explain that he needed a presentation.

Whether or not this is what he's doing, I have to say, when I put together a shop to be ASME certified 'U', 'R' and 'PP', I had to analyse the fabrications to meet ASME requirements.

04/05/2012 10:39 AM

One more thing, I don't know if your fabrication, or end user. But this being a Vertical Methanol Hold-up Drum. These drums have to be properly grounded.

04/15/2012 8:38 PM

Spam: This post was deleted because it contained advertising outside the Commercial Space forum. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about advertising.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 31 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abdel Halim Galala (1); Cemal Tardu (1); cxcxcx0505 (7); jackchen (1); Larry Burns (1); lyn (6); PFR (2); phoenix911 (9); ronclarke (1); Whitephone (2)

Previous in Forum: Laser Product   Next in Forum: Pressure Vessels_Head Calculation_ASME VIII Division 2

Advertisement