Previous in Forum: Electrical Wires Fried in Kiln   Next in Forum: Vintage Chainsaw
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

Unlock USB Drive

04/24/2012 6:06 PM

I have subscriptions to AutoCAD, all legal and paid for.

The last few years the software has been coming to me on these really nice fancy USB drives. I have a few of these from past versions that are now outdated, and no longer used. Normally the old CD versions would simply be filed away in "the archive". But it seems a waste to basically take this 16GB flash drive and store it away til the end of time never to be used again. Is there a way that I can remove the protection and reformat these drives so they can be utilized for other purposes?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Unlock USB drive

04/24/2012 6:11 PM

I don't have a clue. Have you asked Autodesk?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Unlock USB Drive

04/24/2012 6:52 PM

This might work...no guarantee, not responsible for anything that may go wrong...

How to remove a write protection from your USB memory Stick if there is no Write protection ON or OFF button on stick then...note some have slide or switch...
1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
3. Turn on laptop and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
7. G:\>format G: and press enter
8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.
Note:
Before removing USB from your computer, Always remove it safely by going into to my computer then right click on USB and click eject.

Good Answers: 774

04/24/2012 8:00 PM

Now if you had pirated AutoCAD like everyone else you wouldn't be having this problem!

Plus think of how many USB sticks you could have bought for what your AutoCAD program cost!

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149

04/25/2012 10:09 AM

Not having bought Autocad in a coon's age (I use Draftsight which is free), i can't say for certain, but it is entirely possible that these are not flash drives at all but are instead actual roms.

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

04/25/2012 11:53 AM

I suppose anything is possible... I tried every approach to make this usable and have failed. My last attempt was to remove the guts of the drive and look for a tiny switch on the board itself... failed... and upon inspection I had damaged one of the tiny components in my futile attempt.

I tried.

I'm beginning to think it may not be possible.

Strange thing is it's a 16GB drive, but ACAD only takes up 8.5GB or so of space, leaving half the drive empty. You would think if it were a ROM module, they would choose a ROM size a bit closer to the needed drive space.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #5

04/25/2012 11:57 AM

ROMs (both EPROM, and ROM) typically come in 8, 16, 32 or 64 meg increments, since it was too big for a 8, the next larger increment is 16, so that is not necessarily a valid issue.

Good Answers: 40

04/25/2012 10:36 PM

Have you tried linux?

My son has done some pretty fancy stuff reformatting with linux.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

GW (1); lyn (1); Rorschach (2); RVZ717 (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Electrical Wires Fried in Kiln   Next in Forum: Vintage Chainsaw

Advertisement