Previous in Forum: BSP Thread Gauge   Next in Forum: University Video Lectures
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

LEXUS IS 200

05/13/2007 8:25 AM

Since I used fuel in Croatia, I have a very bisare problem. I already contacted and have done computertesting in several Lexus garages in Belgium and nobody can give the right answer. Even the importer cannot give the answer. Everything is OK according to the computer. But the problem still exists.

What is happening: I have the motorblock indicator on my dashboard lighting up as soons as I start up the engine.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Lexus
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: LEXUS IS 200

05/13/2007 12:39 PM

I would first suspect that you have a dirty sensor (oxygen) but your mechanics in Belgium should have been able to find this easily. Another possibility is that you have driven far enough that the Km on the odometer has reached a factory set point and the light is telling you that you need to take your vehicle in for service. Many auto manufactures set the light to come on when the vehicle is reaching its end of warranty (based on distance traveled), their hopes are that you will not take your vehicle to a shop and get the light reset this way if you have problems later they can deny the warranty claim because you failed to get proper maintenance done. Again your mechanics should be able to figure this out with ease.

Here is a link to Lexus publications which include dealer service manuals. You may need to register and pay a fee but you should be able to find information you need.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

05/14/2007 8:54 AM

Is that fuel still in your car? Find out the codes your car is throwing and you should be able to pinpoint the problem. The check engine light would only go on (and stay on) if the computer is storing a problem code.

Maybe the fuel filter is plugged? If the fuel is still in the engine (and has water or is too low octane) you could be getting misfires, also contamination could hurt injectors.

Also, the engine light will not go off if the problem no longer exists. It has to be erased for the memory. I think Toyota vehicles erase it by unplugging the battery. The proper way would be with a scan tool.

I don't know if I like the mechanics in Belgium. Good luck!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

05/14/2007 12:46 PM

NEVER DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY TO CLEAR A DTC (diagnostic trouble code, aka "the check engine light")

Modern vehicles late 1996 and newer have adaptive computers and are very very sensative to power surges (from reconnecting the battery). The proper way is to use a scan tool to reset the ECU/PCM (Engine Control Unit / Powertrain Control Module). On some toyota/lexus vehicles 1996 and older, you have to remove the ECU and/or ECU-B fuse for 30 seconds to clear a code.

The check engine light is supposed to turn on once you start your engine. This tells you that the computer is "awake". If there is NO PROBLEM, it will turn off after 5-10 seconds. If the computer FINDS A PROBLEM, it will stay lit. If the computer senses a MISFIRE, the check engine light will BLINK. If it starts to blink, pull over, turn your engine off. Reason being is that the computer has deteced a misfire severe enough to damage (most often melt) the catalytic converter.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

05/16/2007 11:51 AM

As long as the car is not running, disconnecting the battery "DOES NOT" hurt an OBDII car. I take it you never disconnect your battery? I hope your local fire department is nearby when you change your fuel filter! Actually you should disconnect it for most routine repair work, to avoid these power surges you speak of.

Yes, leaded gas could the culprit trashing the O2 sensor. I wasn't even thinking it was still available. I am just confused as to why the CEL wouldn't indicate so.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/14/2007 12:44 PM

You have used / leaded gasoline low octane fuel in Croatia.

It damage your oxygen sensor. it set off the motorblock indicator light.

Change your oxygen sensor.

I have the same problem with my honda Accord.

Regards,

A. k

USA

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

05/14/2007 12:52 PM

FYI, most lexus engines, although similar looking to toyota engines, run a higher compression ratio. Higher compression ratios require a fuel with a higher octane rating usually 89 and above. If you are unable to get fuel with the proper octane rating, use additives to help boost the octane (anti-knock). Since your lexus most likely has an aluminum cylinder head and a cast iron block with aluminum pistons, you need to run unleaded gasoline.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #3

05/14/2007 1:42 PM

Lead contamination is the most likely problem however some middle eastern sourced gasolines have a high benzene content and that may have damaged the fuel pump's check valve or other sensitive fuel system components. Low fuel pressure often produces lean mixtures which are immediately evident on startup.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Pretendgineer (2); taejonkwando (1)

Previous in Forum: BSP Thread Gauge   Next in Forum: University Video Lectures

Advertisement