Previous in Forum: Capacity Rating Factor for Lead Acid Battery as Per IEEE 485   Next in Forum: Single Length Copper Tube for Sub Station
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

Capacitor Problem in Case of Service Restoration?

07/10/2012 7:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding capacitor banks.

Suppose you place a capacitor on a 10 KV meshed network, that is being radially operated. Now, when there is some kind of disturbance/failure that leads to service restoration. Is your bank gonna overcompensate or cause any harm to customers?

Hope you understand the problem.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: capacitor reactive compensation
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Capacitor Problem in Case of Service Restoration?

07/10/2012 8:01 AM

If the capacitor is there to tune-out the reactive currents in the feeder upstram of it, then it shouldn't have much effect elsewhere unless it remains in-circuit with the fed equipment on that feeder out-of-circuit on power-up. Even then, it won't do any harm.

In reply to #1

07/10/2012 8:17 AM

thank you ....that is exactly what i concluded from a few simulations. However, how can you prove it mathematically?....another question , suppose you use the "1/2KVar rule" suggested by grainger/lee which states that the capacitor must be placed optimally on a point where the var are equal to half the capacitor rating. With the intention to produce half of Kvar requirement upstream and half downstream. If i understood this , you will always overcompensate with this rule?or am i looking at this the wrong way.........

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #2

07/12/2012 11:44 AM

simpler question: At what extent does a fixed capacitor cause overvoltages?are overvoltages a direct result of overcompensation?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Capacity Rating Factor for Lead Acid Battery as Per IEEE 485   Next in Forum: Single Length Copper Tube for Sub Station

Advertisement