Previous in Forum: New CNG Tank to Mimic Intestines Design   Next in Forum: Technical Paper- Reducing NOx Emissions in Biodiesel
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Active Contributor

Hydraulic Rotary Actuator

07/16/2012 10:58 AM

I am the inventor and designer of the patent pending Robinson wind and water turbine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTbAz9GyHw - Although not a new concept I have done some modifications to it to actually make it work well. We'll see what the patent office says.

The most important thing I think that I've done is to create a system that transfers the excess torque from the (rear) flipping panel to the front panel that needs a little help minimizing the effects of the centrifugal force especially at the faster rpms. Even when using a simple cable system, as with the small working model in the YouTube video, it seems to really make the entire system work. The water turbine worked without the panel control system but the rear panel torque is still quite strong.

I sold off the water patent pending and have retained the wind. I've always envisioned a hydraulic closed loop system that incorporates rotary actuators in the hinges to tighten up the entire system including the stops points on the panels as they open and close.

I've been contacting educational toy companies to attempt to get this system into the hands of more people so that other people can start to see just how the various physics are working together on this system.

I put a lot of time and money into the system I still think that I have something there if I can come up with a (working) hydraulic system to control the panels. Catastrophic winds are the biggest problem I see in the system. The good thing is that the wind turbine is both inexpensive and works in less than 1/2 the wind speeds of most other systems.

I've thought of using easily replaceable sail material with aluminum framing to keep the costs down and sell the system in a kit form.

In conclusion, I need help engineering the rotary actuators and dealing with potential catastrophic winds. I've thought about break away hinges.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Hydraulic Rotary Actuator

07/16/2012 11:56 AM

I'm unclear as to the function of the actuators. Do they control the pitch?

How is the energy transferred? I don't see any connections.

Also unclear about any progress you may have made since September 2008?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #1

07/16/2012 4:50 PM

'....Also unclear about any progress you may have made since September 2008?...'

If selling off the patent pending water portion of what is claimed occurred since 2008, I'd count that squarely in the progress corner, for the OP at least.

In reply to #2

07/16/2012 6:22 PM

My reference was more to the lack of any change in the FB demo.

I was also not aware that ungranted patent applications were worth much.

More power to the OP.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

07/16/2012 7:15 PM

I spent almost three years of my life and money trying to develope the turbine and get this into somebody's hands that could help me or just do it. Patent pending is actually pretty good. The patent alone cost $28,000 which I couldn't afford and sold the water intellectual property (IP) off to help pay for the patent attorneys.

Spending that amount of money was hard on both me and my girlfriend and it has not gotten us any benefit thus far. I'm still at a huge loss.

If I could just get paid for the amount of work and money I put into it so far, I would be happy.

It is not easy bringing anything to the market today and one of the reasons why the U.S. is in the horrible social and financial shape it is in.

I'm trying to get someone to help me develope a educational kit to try to get some creativity involved in the project. I have one interested party so far.

I don know what OP is. Please explain.

In reply to #4

07/16/2012 7:52 PM

skiprob,

You are the OP. "Original Poster".

Good luck.

I can't help you.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #4

07/18/2012 1:13 PM

I can't get UTube here at work.

But,

$28,000.00 just to secure the patent......., I hope the majority is to get a prototype made.

I'm sure you have a very good idea, but if the majority is in attorney fees, for you to get you invested to get a Patent time and money out of it is difficult at best.

When I get home, I'll look at the video, don't get your hopes too high...........(that is one of the first things a patent attorney should say)

In reply to #8

07/18/2012 2:50 PM

No sadly that was the entire costs of just the patent. Still looking for someone to help me fund the prototype. The material cost of the wind turbine itself is relatively cheap. What I don't have a handle on, is the costs to engineer and build the hydraulic actuators. I wanted to build one that had (3) 4' x 8' panels. The aluminum for all the framing was only $1,000 back in 2008. Obviously higher now and use standard sailcloth with UV protector as the panel material.

Once I build the prototype, sell it as a kit and allow people to do the labor themselves. I beleive it is the most cost efficient wind turbine system for home use you can get because of the low wind speed issue. The water turbine is a completely different set of issues since water currents are generally very stable in speeds. I'm starting to believe that www.HAEturbines.com may just be doing a stock pump and dump. Pretty dissapointing at their progress.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #3

07/16/2012 8:56 PM

'...I was also not aware that ungranted patent applications were worth much....'

IMHO, that all depends on what the idea is. But broadly, the value of an idea protected by a well written provisional patent application or a submitted but not yet reviewed well written patent application, should only differ from the 'value as fully patented', by an amount equal to the 'value as fully patented' multiplied by the percent chance the patent will not be accepted, plus likely costs to complete the patent process, plus an amount for either the cost of funds until patent approval if commercialization is to be delayed until that point, or the an amount related to the risk of resulting from embarking of commercialization prior to patent approval.

If it is a valuable novel idea with strong chances of receiving useful patent protection, then a PPA might demand a price not far below what would be brought if already patented.

In any case, kudos to the OP (who now realizes to whom I am referring) for successfully monetizing the rights to one of their inventions.

In reply to #6

07/16/2012 9:01 PM

I hope this all works out well for the OP.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

09/28/2012 11:02 AM

The rotary actuator concept is meant to do a few things and it is difficult for me to explain how it works. I can however explain the results and you can see them in the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTbAz9GyHw I invision six total low pressure rotary actuators with each having a 90 degree rotation. Two actuators per panel that couple as hinges for the panels. As the flipping panel flips open and begins coming back against the wind, the torque from the flip coupled with the centrifugal force of the panel, is to great on the overall stability of the system so I needed to come up with a way to control and slow this down. Fortunately, the panel just in front of the flipping one is now finishing it's rotation agains the wind (leeward side) and is beginning to get into position to be the sail panel on windward side of the system. The hydraulic fluid would be forced to this panel, since it is the weakest one at this point in it's rotation, assisting it in getting into the best position, from a timing standpoint. This panel is draging behind it's structual arm because of centrifugal forces and is now assisted to get into position quicker. The 90 degree range would create the stops at the end of the flip and would stop it from actually hitting each panel's structural arm as they come back against them. If you are interesting in talking please call 561-596-1004

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

lyn (4); phoenix911 (1); skiprob (3); truth is not a compromise (2)

Previous in Forum: New CNG Tank to Mimic Intestines Design   Next in Forum: Technical Paper- Reducing NOx Emissions in Biodiesel

Advertisement