Previous in Forum: Difference Between Diesel Car & CNG Car   Next in Forum: Turn Signals Not Working
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Transmission (Auto)

09/21/2012 12:54 AM

I have a RE4R01A Automatic Transmission in a 1991 d21 Hardbody 4x4 that will not go into four. Have gone thru the checks and it seems that the Revolution Sensor is faulty. Can anyone tell me How the revolution sensor works? and the Nissan Service manuel sez this maybe the cause of it not going into four but this sensor is listed also to cause the transmission to fail going to other gears. My transmission will shift nicely all the way thru third and down and I can feel the lockup convertor lock in and lock out. There is one more possiblity the book sez and that is the brake band. Either the band is broke or something wrong with the servo or no preasure there. Have not check the pressure.. any help thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

Re: Transmission (Auto)

09/22/2012 6:07 PM

The revolution sensor is nothing more than a speed sensor. There is a toothed part that is moving past a stationary sensor. The sensor can count the teeth as they pass. From this the computer is able to determine the speed of the revolving shaft.

What color is your fluid? If the band wore out, the fluid will turn darker from the friction dust that was worn away. Transmission shops should be able to put a scan tool on your vehicle, and determine if that band is applied or not, Possibly read the signal from the revolution sensor. good luck.

In reply to #1

09/22/2012 10:51 PM

Thanks Bod c for the reply back. I thought there was a speed sensor and a revolution sensor. Double checked the Exploded view and i did see the Speed sensor. I think there is a check for the speed sensor and a revolution sensor but will have to go back and look. It is interesting but I checked the fluid when this happened and didnt see a change but I just check it after driving it around(my delivery truck) It is dark and there was gray matter on the stick.. UGH. This trany was rebuilt 100k ago. the last trany (original) lasted 169k.. But this trany had shifted hard from day one and never had engine braking. I found out why that was when doing the checks. was able to fix that. So you thinking its a band? and which one?? braking band on the forward clutch pack? or should I just rebuild this one again? The brake band behind the pump looks easy to replace. rebuilding the whole trany myself I dont think Id be comfortable doing. I did all the checks on all the electronics and all but the revolution sensor check out. had 1.5 volts with increased voltage as the car was moving but the book sez there should be 1.0 volt at 19 mph and should increase voltage as speed increased. I didnt know how the revolution sensor affected the shifting of the trany not going into 4th when it seemed it would affect all gears. But I am not an expert nor a trany guy even tho I have rebuilt a few older tranys and did some mods on a few. any help anyone?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

In reply to #2

09/24/2012 10:25 PM

I am not familiar enough to tell you all that you might need to know about your transmission. But, there should be a pressure tap that will allow the reading of most, if not all of the hydraulic components that are applied and released for all of the "gears" Do you have a good overhaul manual for the trans? One that will explain which clutches and bands are applied in each gear? If the same band that is used for engine braking is also used for fourth gear, that could be your whole problem. But if that fluid is that dirty, likely all of the friction components have worn, and it would be wise to do it once, do it right, and be done with it. The first thing I would suggest is to check the fluid pressure at the pressure tap that tells when the piston or band needed for fourth is applied.

It could be that because the speed sensor is not signaling sufficient revolutions, that all of the lower shifts were forced by the engine governor signaling the trans to up-shift. That could be the reason why there is no command to up-shift. It might up-shift if the engine reaches governed speed in third. This is not what I would want to try doing. Vehicle speed would be high.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 6

09/23/2012 8:38 PM

This may help even though it is for a different brand of car.......www.flixxy.com/chrysler-turbo-encabulator.htm Good Luck

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #3

09/24/2012 12:14 AM

I didn't even have to click on that to laugh. The turboencabulator, classic.

In reply to #3

09/24/2012 7:03 PM

I hope you know that it is people like you that make it so hard to earn a living as a mechanic. Turbo-encabulator has earned me thousands in repair money over the years. NOW I couldn't pass that off to a kid on a tricycle repair quote. Thanks!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob c (3); mrazy1 (1); the wrench (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Difference Between Diesel Car & CNG Car   Next in Forum: Turn Signals Not Working

Advertisement