Previous in Forum: The Ideal Site for Engineers   Next in Forum: I've Given it Some Time
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Answering a Post

03/01/2013 8:54 PM

Excuse me for being stupid but I get extremely frustrated by something on this forum. When I first open CR4 from my e-mail box and start reading I will find an item that I am interested in. I then want to make a comment but cannot because I first have to sign in. Then once I have signed in the message I wanted to comment on has disappeared and the job of finding it again is so frustrating that I simply give up.

I´m sure its something simple and I´m just stupid but can anybody help me?

Best Regards

John

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: where did the post go
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Re: answering a post

03/01/2013 9:33 PM

Jot down keywords from the post, then use the 'search all of CR4' box ? Another way is to note the name of the most recent poster, go to their profile, click on the link for recent comments. Yet another, click on 'who's online, though that only works for active threads. You could also bookmark the page (depending on terminolgy of your browser).

If it's any consolation, I find myself in the same position quite often. I've no fixed way of going about finding whatever discussion. It depends upon how recent the point in question was and various other factors.

On the bright side, John, it's often the case that you stumble upon other interesting discussions whilst looking.

Happy hunting .

ps - can I have a discount on the belts ? Sorry, you've probably heard that a thousand times before.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

03/01/2013 9:33 PM

Just stay signed in. If you log out, it becomes impossible for CR4 to keep you posted.

If that's not it, they are also under construction.

In reply to #2

03/01/2013 9:37 PM

It's hard to believe, but I sign out all the time. Follow too many links, and I get an itching desire to flush cookies.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #3

03/01/2013 9:45 PM

'...flush cookies...'?

It's probably better if I don't know.

In reply to #4

03/01/2013 10:18 PM

rofl !

It's amazing what you can collect, especially if you follow any of the bog blog links to links to links....... Yep, stay safe and wipe frequently folks.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #5

03/03/2013 2:02 AM

Thank you for that.

I had arrived at some scene involving Samoans, American Standard, and weeping Girl Scouts. Thanks you for the recovery.

In reply to #11

03/03/2013 5:14 AM

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #3

03/01/2013 11:30 PM

I flush cookies once a week, and I can't get emailed updates.

But I think I may have figured out why everything takes so long to load...it's waiting for all of those FB, twitter, etc., links to get loaded up, that nobody ever uses.

In reply to #8

03/02/2013 7:20 AM

Might be wrong, but I think they've trimmed some of those annoying social network links. The other day I found myself looking at an ebay search box at the bottom of every page. Luckily I've forgotten where, so I'm not too traumatized.

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #8

03/03/2013 10:47 PM

run google chrome with adblocker and 'do not track me' activated. I haven't logged in for about 2 years now.

Once in a while I do the 'disk cleanup' utility but other than that it's all on autopilot.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 175

03/01/2013 10:40 PM

You've read the thread, but you're not signed in.

Click on 'Log-in' in the upper right, and log in.

Click the browser's 'back' button twice and you're back on the thread you want to reply to (but when not logged in).

Just click on the browser's 'refresh' button and it will reload the thread page with you logged in. Then write your reply. In Windows Explorer, the refresh button is the button with the two, curved green arrows.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

03/01/2013 10:42 PM

First take note of the location of the thread, then check the "Home Page", if after scrolling down you can't find it, then on the "Home page" there is a small link next to "Latest Forum Threads",that says "See all Forum Threads" , click on that, and you should see your lost thread...If it's in "Latest Engineering News" this is located on the "Home Page" If after scrolling down to the bottom you don't see it then click on "See more news"....Then it could be in "Latest Blog Entries", if you don't see it after scrolling down, then next to the heading you'll find "See all Blog Entries"....This should lead you to anything your looking for....or you could just click on the link in the email....

Good Answers: 84

03/02/2013 8:33 AM

Why these sites - which are already dropping cookies on your hard drive and so have the means - don't return you to the page you left to sign in, is beyond me. It's a rare site that returns you to the originating page. This site's search engine ain't nothin' to write home about, either, and for searching your private messages for some tidbit? Good bluddy luck. Don't feel stupid about this, you've plenty of company.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Re: Answering a Post

03/03/2013 6:40 AM

OK and thanks to all. I can see that I´m not the only one who gets pissed off with the steps required. Maybe the site designer read this and can come up with something simple.

Best Regards to All

John

Register to Reply
Participant

Re: Answering a Post

03/03/2013 7:53 AM

When you use eBay or PayPal shipping labels, the tracking information also appears in auto answers after a sale. Using auto answers saves you and your ...
http://imageediting.outsourcing-services-india.com

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

129CBRider (1); europium (1); imageediting (1); Iris (1); JOHN H VAN ALLEN (1); kramarat (2); Kris (5); SolarEagle (1); truth is not a compromise (2)

Previous in Forum: The Ideal Site for Engineers   Next in Forum: I've Given it Some Time

Advertisement