Previous in Forum: LEO Satellite Simulator   Next in Forum: Moving Coil Preamplifier
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

How to Design Battery Power RFID?

06/29/2013 11:11 AM

I am Devarajen from Malaysia. I am looking for someone to design for me a RFID system as follows:

Battery Operated RFID for outdoor usage.

Specification:
1)RFID operated with Battery and with Siren or Alarm. The Sound should be loud as minimum 100dB.

2) RFID receiver should able to detect Tags at 360 Degree (at any point within maximum 10m, minimum 5m from the RFID Receiver.

3) Tag & RFID didn't carry any info, just detection if subject with Tag move in the radius 10m of the RFID receiver, it will trigger the Siren. Once the Subject with Tag move out from the radius 10meter, the siren will be deactivate.

If you know anybody who can assist me, please do let me know.

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: How to design Battery Power RFID?

06/29/2013 12:20 PM

I don't think you grasp what an RFID system really is.

Time to hit the books:

Radio-frequency identification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Have you done any research into this?????
How much money are you willing to spend on this battery powered folly?

There are 1,400,000 sites that tell thieves how to remove rfid tags:

How to Remove Security Tags from Clothing - Lifehacker
I'd be looking for tamper-proof systems and leave the Battery powered foolishness alone.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: How to Design Battery Power RFID?

06/29/2013 1:38 PM

I don't understand you. Do you think that CR4 is an employment or contractor site? I recommend that you look for an engineering firm in your own country instead of asking an international chat board to do this work. Oh, bring a check book with you. Engineers get paid for designing products and services for business.

In reply to #2

06/29/2013 1:53 PM

I was just about ready to take on this project for $10,000.00 USD. Oh, plus all expenses, which could be staggering considering the technological hurdles one would encounter in adding batteries to RFID tags.

Then there's always this: Battery-Powered RFID - MIT Media Laboratory

Maybe OP isn't bonkers, after all.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

06/29/2013 3:28 PM

I never thought the OP was bonkers, just stingy.

Good Luck getting your fee.

In reply to #4

06/29/2013 5:02 PM

For the opportunity of a lifetime, I'll do this pro bono.

Register to Reply
Associate

06/30/2013 4:28 AM

What your doing is the exact opposite of what RFID is intended for. So all you have to do is write a reverse code for everything (Fail all configuration???).

How you make sure the idiots your trying to keep out carry their card to be detected is even harder!

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

06/30/2013 10:41 AM

Well since you don't seem to have a specifications on weight, size, or power requirements...I define the "RFID device" as a small FM radio transmitter using a frequency in the 220MHz band, with a very low power output in the "micro watt" range. There is also no defined "sound" frequency for the siren so I define that as a load hiss or even a squeal produced by a small FM receiver tuned to the same frequency of the transmitters.You can tune the distance of detection by adjusting the squelch setting on the receiver.

There - done - the prototype build, my design, and the final report will be charge at my normal consulting rates.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

06/30/2013 7:22 PM

What you are describing does not require the sophistication inherent in RFID systems. Read this article on EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance) systems, much simpler and cheaper:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/anti-shoplifting-device1.htm

Good Answers: 59

06/30/2013 9:28 PM

It sound to me, like the electronic gate at a department store exit, only a primitive version. But, if somebody removes the tag first, well, too bad.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #9

07/01/2013 12:14 AM

HI,

No it is not! the Tag will tagged to cattle such as cow or goat. Its some soft like geo-fancing to make sure the cattle will not come near the RFID receiver as the Siren will trigger when its come near to it. the RFID receiver will based at parameter boundary.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

In reply to #10

07/01/2013 8:24 AM

Aha! What you have described (finally) is what we call an invisible fence!

They are commonly used for dogs...http://www.caninecompany.com/CFIWantInvisibleFence.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=invisiblefence&gclid=CJHl3YqkjrgCFY9FMgodcjYAFw

In reply to #10

07/01/2013 8:33 AM

What you claim to want is one of these systems to be modified to making a siren instead of a shock. How long do you think it will take for the cattle to ignore the siren.

Now that I've started to design your system, we need to discuss my fee and terms.

In reply to #12

07/01/2013 8:43 AM

A lot of these systems will emit a sound as well as a shock. It could probably be modified (for a fee of course) to make a louder sound. The problem with these types of fences is that they keep your animals where you want them but do nothing to keep other animals away from them! So your cattle/goats will be confined (maybe) to a nice area where the wild animals can come and eat them! I know of many dogs that will run right through these fences as well.

I have to ask, why not just put up a real fence?

In reply to #13

07/02/2013 10:55 AM

Thanks for the comment.

My situation here is different. I am research officer for local Oil Palm plantation company here. We planted some mixer of beneficial plant ( 10meter long stip per Ha of land along the boundary of the Oil Palm field. This benificial plant consist of Antigonon leptosus , Tunera spp aand Cassis cobanensis. The beneficial plant required in the field as biological control for bagworm or nettle caterpillar which is the pest of Oil Palms. With this beneficial plants , the pest will be below threshold level (Natural control) and no need to do any insecticide application for the palms.

But the problem arise, some of the our Oil palm plantation are near village where this villager will let thier cattle move around for grass in oil palm field. Suprisely we notice, these cattle like to eat the beneficial plant that we plant ,very much.

So to control these, we cant put electerical fencing( Not accomplied with RSPO regulation).If we put normal, wire fencing, next day the wire will be cut by the villagers that want thier cattle move around freely and will not admit who is the culprit.

That why, I come with an idea, to install the RFID receiver at all beneficial plant plot (very 10m per Ha) with all the cattle in the plantation with tag in it's ear, So once it come near to the beneficial plant, it will shy away because the load nice.

Another question to be answered, is it the cattle will move away or how long it will take to get use to the sound ? These only can be answered if I try to experiment it in the field!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

07/02/2013 11:22 AM

Thanks for the additional information. What will prevent the villagers from removing the RFID tags from the cattle? They seem to want them in your crop! Maybe some training or reward system for the villagers would work better. They ALL get a reward each week that the fence stays up. That way they might work together to help you. It might cost less than developing a new RFID system for a "one-off" application.

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #16

07/02/2013 12:12 PM

When the human (or animal) training side is faulty, no matter how much technology you throw at it.

The sensible solution is to sit patiently with the villager, and work out an equitable arrangement.

Example: Electric fence in and outside of the beneficial strip, and the cattle can graze under the trees, as long as somebody supervises them. Or some such. I am sure, the villagers are rational in their wants. So, be a good, patient horse trader.

Good luck to an enduring relationship.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #16

07/02/2013 12:16 PM

Dear Tom,

Thank you. Maybe I left some more points. Actually the wire fencing we build are along the boundry of the plantation and village. With some series of dialog with them, we come to agreeable condition, we willing to let them in our plantation with a person/worker monitoring their cattle in the field.If these agreeable condition is followed by the villagers, these problem will not occur as they are monitoring where thier cattle are and what it eating. But after time pass by these villagers ignore and no body monitored what thier cattle eating. No problem for us, thier cattle to be around, only we dont want it eaten up our beneficial plant.

Wire fencing along the beneficial plant is hard to put as it will be obstacle for our harvesting and loading operation.

But all these will come in dollar and sense 1st, if this cost is expensive to apply to villagers( the individual tag),then I have to come with other action plan. Anyway how much it will cost to design a RFID as my requirement.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

07/02/2013 6:30 PM

I did a search for "invisible cattle fence" and came up with some interesting hits. You may want to get in touch with Dean Anderson.

http://v-e-n-u-e.com/Invisible-Fences-An-Interview-with-Dean-Anderson

In reply to #19

07/08/2013 9:56 PM

Noted. Sorry late reply, I was away.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #10

10/16/2013 11:54 AM

I was working on RFID herd health on Cattle ID'ing project for a veterinarian my sister works for.

I hope these aren't milk cows.........

07/01/2013 9:16 AM

Devarajen,

I sent you a PM here on CR4 in response to your personal e-mail message. Check your CR4 "inbox".

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Devarajen Rajagopal (4); leveles (2); lyn (3); phoenix911 (1); RAMConsult (1); redfred (3); Tom_Consulting (6); TonCab (1)

Previous in Forum: LEO Satellite Simulator   Next in Forum: Moving Coil Preamplifier

Advertisement