Previous in Forum: How is it Made? (TV Show)   Next in Forum: Best Continuously Variable Transmission?
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

'97 Ford Taurus

07/22/2013 4:57 PM

Here are the things i've had to do:

-I got the car for 1500 and it had only 2 sparkblugs working so replaced all the plugs and hoses to them. 30$

- The brakes and rotors were rusted and dust so had to replace all four of them too. 200-300$

- The head unit was crap so bought a JVC and went ahead and replaced all my speakers due to they were made of cardboard. 350$

-Went ahead and got me 2 12"s and the car powers them just fine 270$

The cons-----

- My interior lights do not turn on when i open the doors so its hard to get around, they arnt burnt out though cause they will turn on with there switch if the car is running

- My ac is not working but probly just needs charging.

- My door ajar light will not turn off

- Since i have installed my subs i have had problems with my fans not blowing any air, they worked for about two days after the install but then they just stopped working.. When i slide the fans from on to off it makes a very faint hiss noise like it was on just not blowing air.

Please help me and any advice can help, The body has about 170k miles on it and the engine is a junkyard engine 3.0 v6 from a salvaged 97 taurus with 80k miles on it.

P.S. I have also cheked all of the fuses and none are blown

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: car electrical Ford Taurus
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: '97 Ford Taurus

07/22/2013 5:44 PM

Well, the best advice I could give is now too late.

It sounds like you blew $620 on a sound system before you have a working car.

I would have thought the priority would have been a running car first.

My second best advice is to sit down and write up a list of priorities for your car that need attention first and start at the top of the list and work down.

Anytime you start changing things from non-stock you run the risk of messing something else up in the car (i.e., the fans). So recheck your installation from start to finish. Sounds like you either cut or disconnected something.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #1

07/22/2013 8:57 PM

Oh I don't know about that. I had a car that wasn't worth $1000 on its own but had a $3000+ sound system in it.

In fact I have had a few vehicles now where the head unit was worth more than the whole vehicle it was in.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 11

07/22/2013 6:14 PM

To turn interior lights off, spray door hinges with WD40.

Sounds stupid, but it worked on my wife's Taurus.

My belief is that Ford left out a ground wire and the hinges make the ground. When hinges get dirty, they don't make contact.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Participant

In reply to #2

07/23/2013 12:30 AM

Can't beleive this actually worked ty

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

07/22/2013 6:32 PM
Guru

07/22/2013 7:02 PM

First thing to do is change all the fluids.....oil, flush coolant system(use 50/50 mix), brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, rear trans-axle change lube oil....lube and check all fittings while checking for wear- ball joints, anything loose, check wheel bearings...

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #4

07/22/2013 7:30 PM

That gets my vote!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

07/22/2013 8:13 PM

In reply to #4

07/22/2013 9:51 PM

I've already done all that, That was the first thing my dad and I did ty for tip though

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2

07/23/2013 12:28 AM

Sounds like most of your problems have been covered except the fan issue. I'm assuming the fan you are talking about is the cabin air fan, not the motor cooling fans. The hiss you are hearing is probably the vacuum operated blend door. Some hiss may be normal, but to much may indicate a broken/cracked vacuum line. No big deal till we get the fan working.
You stated that it worked for a few days after all the other work was done, so I'm going to make the wild assumption that nothing was damaged during the other work.
1) Does the fan run at High speed? If so, and not at low speeds, the fan resistor in the air plenum is probably bad, or it's connector may be fried.
2) No fan at hi speed. Fuse #'s 12 and 13 are part of the circuit that controls the fan. Check with a meter, not your eyeball.
3) With the key on, but engine off, turn the blower to high and check the dome light - if it works. Or, put a meter on the battery and observe that. When the fan is switched on, does the dome light dim? (only slightly) or, does the voltage drop on the battery? If so, fan is trying to run, but may be blocked, or have frozen bearings. It's not uncommon to find all sorts of junk in the air plenum, and there may be enough to actually hang on to the fan, and keep it from running. Or, the fan motor itself could be frozen.
There's a few thoughts to get you headed in the right direction.
Good luck

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Participant

07/23/2013 12:32 AM

Also a funny thing just happend when i went to walmart.. my fans started working after i raced up a hill with my friend and i put it in park and restarted the car.. Don't know if they still workin but will see next time i crank it, any tips on what is wrong with em? cause they havn't worked in 2 motnhs

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122
In reply to #11

07/23/2013 3:03 PM

You most likely have severe vacuum leaks as evidenced by the fan starting to work when you went uphill and your engine vacuum dropped. (Very common.)

Your vent outlet selection, temperature control ,and mode selection is vacuum operated and the incidence of the in dash switch (Actually a multiport valve) failure is high for these vehicles.

Also check your vacuum receiver tank and all other vacuum operated devices for leaks by use of a vacuum gauge and pinching each hose one at a time to identify which ones need replacing.

The interior lights should be controlled by single pin switches that mount in the vehicle/car body door openings.

These switches complete the interior lighiting circuits to ground at each switch when physically activated/operated and do not depend on the door hinges what-so-ever.

They do get dirty and can be cleaned by removing each switch and immersing it in vinegar for a few minutes and operating them a few times. Once cleaned you can use WD40 to keep them from rusting/oxidizing.

Good Answers: 53

07/23/2013 1:00 AM

Alex, sorry that you're having problems with the car. I'm in the auto industry and I have sold over 3,000 cars since 2002, so I'm pretty knowledgeable. The 1997 Ford Taurus is not known to be a good used car. The car has terrible transmission problems, along with engine, electrical, cooling and ac. As you can see, these are not great cars and with 170K on it, you're sitting on a ticking time bomb. Sorry, but this is the truth.

You have about $2,500 or so into the car already, but there is a concept I learned in business school years ago. It's that any cost you've put into something is a sunk cost and your future decisions should not be based on it. So if you can get out of the car and use the fund to get another car, it makes the most business sense. Go for a more reliable used car. If you're looking for something in the $2K range, try for a used Buick LeSabre, Toyota Camry, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I30 or Honda Accord (4 cylinder model). Look for a car that hasn't been in an accident and has had good service records. Also, size up the seller - you can tell a lot about the car based on this.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #12

07/23/2013 2:28 PM

Autobroker is right. Ford V6 engines are notorious for developing a condition known as 'hydrolock' somewhere after 80,000 miles. It causes broken con rods which can destroy the block. If you insist on keeping this car, plan on changing the head gaskets. If that's not feasible for some reason, add 'Bar's Leaks' NOW! It will extend the usable life of the engine.

Good Answers: 28

07/23/2013 11:24 AM

So you spent 2450 total on this and didnt think anything of it and you still have issues. Why didnt you spend the 2450 on a better vehicle to begin with ?? Economy is not always in the price tag.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

07/23/2013 3:23 PM

A suggestion:

Check all of your system electrical ground points inside the cab interior and make sure all are properly installed, tight, and secure.

There are at least two if not three fuse panel in the car with normally two underhood and one on the driver's side kick panel.

In some models there is a fuse panel in the passenger side kick panel.

Go on line and/or check the owner's manual for all fuse locations.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Alexanselmo8 (3); Anonymous Hero (2); Autobroker (1); bluebelly (1); Carl Pugh (1); LongintheTooth (1); oldfefan (1); SHOCKHISCAN (2); SolarEagle (3); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: How is it Made? (TV Show)   Next in Forum: Best Continuously Variable Transmission?

Advertisement