Previous in Forum: Uplinking New Code Methods   Next in Forum: Excel 2003 into Excel 2010 Are Not Correct
Close
Close
Close
10 comments

Writing Custom Macro b Programs for CNC Machines

08/08/2013 8:08 PM

I have been using macros and touch probes for about ten years now to machine parts. I have been writing my own custom macros for about four years. I am running out of ideas for applications and would like some feedback. The latest program I have written allows you to machine a diamond pin just to give you an idea.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Writing Custom Macro b Programs for CNC Machines

08/08/2013 9:49 PM

You might find something here.....

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCProjects.htm

Good Answers: 88

08/09/2013 8:50 AM

At this point, I would start writing a book about custom macro programming CNC machines. I'd just avoid writing about new application ideas. S.M.

In reply to #2

08/09/2013 7:40 PM

What would you like to see written about? They already have books out about this topic.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

08/10/2013 9:54 AM

"What would you like to see written about? They already have books out about this" topic.

Are your macros the same as in the book or are they different, more elegant, mind blowing?

If yours are different then you can self publish on the internet, Craigslist, eBay, Google... and many more. You can make a PDF thgat is downloadable and secure with your copyright information on it.

Like the man said:

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

What would your "book" be worth?

You never know, it could be picked up by the CNC community and be a must have for your tool box?

I started as a Machinist / Moldmaker in 1982 and watched the machinist community dwindle in the next 2 decades because things were being off-shored, Lockheed moved out of Burbank to Georgia in the 90's. I saw more and more talent retiring or dying without being able to pass their knowledge on to a younger generation. Also the younger generation passing on technical / mechanical jobs and walking blindly into a "computer" career thinking they were going to be the next tech billionaire.

In reply to #4

08/10/2013 11:34 AM

The majority of the macros that I have written I have never seen anywhere else before. They mainly machine three dimensional parts like spheres and cones, etc. I have a really cool one that machines a variable radius and I'm currently working on a tooling ball macro right now as well. I guess I could put everything in a package but I do not know what it would be worth. What do you think would be fair for these programs? I would want as many people to have access to this information as possible.

Register to Reply
Guru

08/10/2013 11:45 AM

The book you said that was already published.

This book has 336 pages and looks like it has hundreds of macros in it and sells for approx. $35.00. Even for me that is a bit pricey. I would buy a book like that for about $10 - $15. How does your library of macros compare? I don't mind dropping $10.00 for a book that may help me just one time. And you could probably sell a CD with the macros on it for a few extra $$. The book and CD for $15.00. That sounds like a deal!

In reply to #6

08/10/2013 11:56 AM

I would have to purchase the book to see if there are any differences, but 10-15 bucks would be affordable for most of the populous.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #6

08/10/2013 1:17 PM

I was thinking about maybe posting one of my macros to give people an idea. What do u think, or if you have a specific problem/application I coud just help you write one. I need the practice so it would be free of charge.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 88
In reply to #8

08/11/2013 2:55 AM

3d printing is at its ups now. Adding material is as interesting as removing it. Not saying it will have a better luck in the long run as a technology than traditional CNC, unless serious (and unplesant) things happen. But it's an option to put your talent at. And of course, writing a book is a way to "logically organize" your knowlege, since that's the only way it would have selling chanses, that's also why I originally suggested it. S.M.

08/10/2013 1:37 PM

Right now I'm in-between shops that have the multi-axis CNC machines that would benefit from a macro. The machine now is just a large drill line. Position the X and Y then drill a hole. If I find someone that could benefit, I will pass on your info. If you wish you can e-mail me your info to ambrosefx13@@gmail.com.

Best of luck to you,

Bryan

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cncchipmaker (4); Original_Macgyver (3); SimpleMind (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Uplinking New Code Methods   Next in Forum: Excel 2003 into Excel 2010 Are Not Correct

Advertisement