Previous in Forum: Multiple Sclerosis, Explain "Localized Mechanical Damage" In The Lesions?   Next in Forum: HF Leakage of Electrosurgical Unit
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Associate
Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Goldfish Tumor?

09/16/2013 11:22 AM

One of my 6 year old large Goldfish (10" long+) started to look like he had swallowed a tennis ball. This was unusual, as he was a "normal" fish to begin with. He progressed to the size of a baseball, and was getting bigger by the day. He lost many scales and started to get red striations on his skin. After he died, I did a necropsy and found that he was filled with an orangy yellow almost clear gelatinous material. The color and density was consistent throughout. His white bladder was small in comparison to anther Goldfish I had necropsied. Could someone explain to me what I was looking at? I realize that there are numerous forms of tumors, but this was ubelievable and was growing at an alarming rate. The rest of the fish in that pond seem to be healthy.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster #1

Re: Goldfish Tumor?

09/17/2013 10:49 AM

Did it color the water in any way?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

09/17/2013 3:12 PM

The fish or the tumor? The fish didn't and I didn't wait for the tumor to explode in order to protect the rest of the fish.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

09/17/2013 12:09 PM

It may not be a tumor. Dropsy a bacterial infection will cause the symptoms you describe. It's a bacterial infection of the liver. Which causes the fish to retain fluids. Which cause the abdomen to swell. Treatable if not left to progress too far.

09/17/2013 7:29 PM
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); DRAGONLADY (2); ozzb (1)

Previous in Forum: Multiple Sclerosis, Explain "Localized Mechanical Damage" In The Lesions?   Next in Forum: HF Leakage of Electrosurgical Unit

Advertisement