Previous in Forum: Why PSVs are Placed So High?   Next in Forum: Air Ammonia Mixtures Being Compressed to P,T??
Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Active Contributor

Nuts and Bolts Reuse in Engine Application

05/13/2014 4:14 AM

Hi Experts

I am in remanufacturing business where we try to re use old parts in engines.Recently there is is project going on so I am stuck in decison whether to reuse nuts and bolts or not as it can save lots of money . Pls suggest . If yes what all parameter I shouls check inoder to confirm its integrity

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster #1

Re: Nuts and bolts reuse in engine application

05/13/2014 5:04 AM

Old part usage is ok up to some xtent. but thorough qc check required before installation. I know one company (company name and place withheld due to copyright issue) which prefer only second hand engines to power their mining equipments. one or two accidents I have witnessed, fortunately there was no loss of human life or animal life on those occasions.I cannot blame or forget that company as it was my beloved training school. I learned a lot from there and the best lesson I learned was how to survive in hostile working environments and how to survive in extreme climatic conditions.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34

05/13/2014 5:54 AM

Diameter and material?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

05/13/2014 7:40 AM

M16 bolts and MS material

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

05/13/2014 8:53 AM

Ok

1./ Clean the bolts and nuts

2./ Dimensional check (remain plastic elongation & height and size of the threads)

3./ PT or MT (Better MT)

That's all

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #11

05/14/2014 1:29 AM

What is this BT and MT ??

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

05/14/2014 4:18 AM

BT I don;t know

PT: Penentrat test (ASME V)

MT: Magnetic Test (ASME V)

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic

In reply to #17

06/02/2014 6:37 PM

British Thread and Metric Thread .

CS is Carbon Steel.

Location: OHIO, tri-State design and installation, and travel nationally and consults also are international
In reply to #25

06/07/2014 10:26 AM

and either way,

or CS or not,

v8 5.7 diesel engine head replaced at 134,000 miles

was again leaking at the water jacket/ in 5,000 more miles...

, with same head bolts installed by Chevy seller of the olds engine 1984-1987 repaired once and sold back to them. a loss-loss; but the 'zone office ' paid the then 900 bucks.

some relief with buying from same, a Chevy Celebrity 2.4 v6 carburated 1985 (in 1987 with 57,000 miles) running to 286,000 , finally popped a timing chain in 1996.

In reply to #4

05/20/2014 2:44 AM

Mild steel? Surely you must know the grade/class of the material used in an electricity generator: 8.8; 10.9; 12.9 - what is quantity?

Economy has many facets. Moreover, unless there is something special about the fasteners, M16's are not expensive - unless your in Scotland.

...yes, I am a Scot.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 663

Re: Nuts and Bolts Reuse in Engine Application

05/13/2014 6:49 AM

Most correctly installed bolts and nuts should be capable of re-use. It is rare for a design to overstress a bolt intentionally. A visual inspection rejecting any which show any sign of abuse would suffice in most applications. Maybe in critical area a closer inspection/length measurement? would be prudent.

Del

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #3

05/13/2014 8:33 AM

This is true but on some car engines the head bolts are designed to stretch on installation. These should never be re-used. The OP really needs to check with the engine maker if possible.

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #8

05/13/2014 10:53 AM

Correct.

Some hardware is a "use once" application.

Typically, the criteria for any form of no-reuse are:

1. Fasteners required to be torqued to near their limits

2. Safety critical components where failure would result in a catastrophic loss of equipment or endangerment or loss of life.

Point #2 is a liability that you carry as a business. If a fastener fails and you or your business is found liable, then you and/or your business could stand to lose significant revenue or even prison time for some employees found negligent.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 139

05/13/2014 8:00 AM

Engines for what?

A few years ago there were quite a few postings at CR4 related to what happens when a bolt is properly torqued. Posters described stretching of the bolts when installed with proper torque and lubrication. I was amazed at how complete my lack of understanding was. So, engines for what? Used cars? Industrial equipment? Third world airlines?

In reply to #5

05/13/2014 8:06 AM

Actually its a Alternator of 1500 KV used for power generation . It has vibration due to stator and rotor

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1666
In reply to #6

05/13/2014 9:49 AM

Alternator hardware is probably OK to re-use.

I'd use a thread locking compound, too.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #6

05/14/2014 2:52 AM

If it is going to be vibration related and other issues or moving parts - I would always use new bolts and from the same box - we newer know the exact weight and diameter tolerances of the old bolts used and this can cause vibrations and unbalancing of the rotating parts. So play it save use new stuff from a single manufacturer.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 206

05/13/2014 8:23 AM

i'd measure all the bolts or risk destuction

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

05/13/2014 8:34 AM

This seems to be informative , can u pls elaborate on this equipment

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 206
In reply to #9

05/13/2014 8:36 AM

its a bolt stretch gauge

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #9

05/14/2014 5:49 AM

Note coment #8. Never re-use a bolt that has an installation torque value eg cylinder- head bolts (although these do not fall into the bolt-and-nut category).

In my own experience, your stated 16mm bolts should be safe for re-use if the assembly is done by hand-spanners only. When an assembly requires power-wrenches/flogging it may well be that the bolt was over-torqued in the first place and has been compromised for re-use at the required torque. Corroded bolts should be replaced.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

05/13/2014 10:56 AM

Well I think it depends on how critical the application is....and what might be the consequences of failure....after carefully contemplating these factors, then make a common sense decision....The material composition of the bolts, the environment the equipment was used in, the age of the bolts, operating temperatures, torque specifications, all these contribute to metal fatigue....You might try destructive testing on random selections....

Good Answers: 182

05/13/2014 2:21 PM

According to many tests (some made by myself) a bolt can be reused up to 4 times but: at every assembly friction increases so that for same tightening torque the obtained preload will be smaller and this is a risk in assemblies where the bolt preload plays a major role. Those are connecting rods and head. If normally stretched bolts do not get a permanent deformation and can be reused but the friction has to be monitored and compensated.

So that limit your re-usage of bolts to the NONCRITICAL assemblies.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

05/14/2014 12:53 AM

In general re-using fastners with physical and measurements check is OK. but it must always be linked to loss/costing - if it fails. so at important places where damages are more with failures of fastners better have sample checks for elongation and torque it can withstand -- sample size to dependm on economics. For general purposes re-use can be made. In any case they will be cleaned and a good technical person can observe damages while cleaning them and can seggregate.

05/14/2014 7:40 AM

The best on site testing of nuts and bolts was being done by Sisu mfg of Crown Point Indiana. They tested every bolt they used, new and old, to repair/rebuilt aircraft parts. I feel sure they would give you the name of their testing machine which did not look expensive. Rich Byrne

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #21

05/14/2014 10:44 AM

I think aircraft parts are in a different category. You will find the larger airlines do not bother to effect smaller repairs (eg wheel strut assembly), but simply fit a new one.

The used, faulty part is then destroyed, supposedly so that it cannot be re-used/ sold by other interested parties.

Register to Reply
Participant

Good Answers: 1

05/14/2014 10:16 AM

Many bolts are torque to yield when it comes to head bolts, intake, etc. It wouldn't be a good idea to use these again.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Register to Reply 26 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abhyas (4); Anonymous Hero (1); Anonymous Poster (1); BruceFlorida (1); Del the cat (1); delawhon (1); dickbyrne9 (1); Fredski (2); Hilton (2); JP76 (1); lyn (1); M.R.Iyengar (1); MalteseXXX (1); nick name (1); Nigh (1); SolarEagle (1); steele_m_a (1); uli_newBuilder (1); Whitephone (3)

Previous in Forum: Why PSVs are Placed So High?   Next in Forum: Air Ammonia Mixtures Being Compressed to P,T??

Advertisement