Previous in Forum: See That Comet   Next in Forum: Planets With Oxygen but No Water
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 11

How did Photons Escape Relativistic Effect of Dilation?

12/05/2014 12:54 PM

I came to ponder on a mosquito passing by a lampshade. It's flight vector drifted by the beam of light from a cylindrical diffuser. I thought about photon particles forced to change the vector of such poor bug. Probably, in Newtonian perspective that force was influenced by particle's mass emission, though from theory itself, photons has a dual characteristic of a wave and a particle.

In connection with the Relativity theory of Einstien which is applicable on any particles approaching speed of light would have a dilation of time and contraction of dimensions with respect to a stationary observer.

Photons having speed of light itself, how did it became exempted from the theory?

Or does it lack the quality to be treated with the theory itself?

If so, that Photons are subject to the effect of Relativity, what is the reality behind such particle?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: How did Photons Escape Relativistic effect of dilation

12/05/2014 1:08 PM

Albert wrote a waiver in his theory that photons could travel at the speed of light in a vacuum under the stipulation that they were in a vacuum. Before that fateful day we were all seeing in the past with slow photons.

In reply to #1

12/05/2014 1:16 PM

But he didn't exempt photons in his theory, right, as well as all other microscopic particles, say sub-atomic particles.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #3

12/05/2014 8:41 PM

Unlike other "microscopic" particles, a photon has zero rest mass (except under extraodinary circumstances - e.g. inside a superconductor).

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #3

12/05/2014 10:53 PM

His theory doesn't mention particles at all. The speed of light is just a limit. His theory concerns energy, mass, spacetime and their relationship to a speed called 'c'. That light happens to travel at this speed is incidental to his theory, not fundamental to it.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

12/05/2014 1:14 PM

It's sort-of a rule-of-thumb in relativistic quantum mechanics: Massless particles such as photons must travel at the speed of light; particles with mass can't travel at the speed of light.

In reply to #2

12/05/2014 1:23 PM

There is a lot of insights to ponder on such theory. A universe could be suspended in space in a tiny speckle approaching closely at speed of light.

Changes the way I viewed reality from here on.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

12/05/2014 3:02 PM

From previous posts, we know you live in a different reality!

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #4

12/05/2014 4:49 PM

"A universe could be suspended in space in a tiny speckle approaching closely at speed of light."

That's certainly the way I've always looked at it.

Guru

In reply to #6

12/06/2014 5:43 AM

And if it would come to visit us, that tiny speckle and suddenly stop or collide, we're gonna be doomed.

The next question is would space or our universe could possibly release such a mass to near a speed of light or possibly more than speed of light?

CR4 Admin

Removed unnecessary religious references.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #2

12/09/2014 11:02 AM

Exactly.

Or to put some math behind it:

F=ma, a=F/m

As m approaches zero, a approaches infinity.

Therefore massless particles travel at infinite speed (limited by other factors in spacetime) while massed particles travel at finite speed (also limited by other factors in spacetime, but finite is always less then infinite.)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

12/05/2014 6:48 PM

The distance across the universe is zero from the photon's point of view, and the time between when it is created and absorbed is zero.

http://www.universetoday.com/87983/astronomy-without-a-telescope-a-photons-point-of-view/

Guru

In reply to #7

12/05/2014 6:54 PM

Yes, from a photon's viewpoint, the universe is planar and everything that happened to it on its journey all happened instantaneously.

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

12/05/2014 8:30 PM

Science will never explain everything.

The shaman knows things to be true that have been passed for generations, that science will never find.

Anything that can't be put to pencil and paper, science dismisses out of fear.

Rare is the scientist that is able to release dogma...and yet, it is those scientists that move us forward.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #9

12/05/2014 8:46 PM

Take two speckles and call me in the morning.

Guru

In reply to #11

12/05/2014 9:07 PM

I'm done.

Celebrating Thanksgiving involved chain smoking/ drinking, throwing my back out, and colliding with a fully stoked wood stove while in my undies.

The back is better, but still some seriously seared meat on my leg, shoulder and hand.

Wanna see a picture? I burnt the damned leg right into the meat. It might leave a mark.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #12

12/05/2014 10:35 PM

The Pilgrims would be proud of you.

You basted yourself, before roasting.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #12

12/07/2014 1:37 PM

Come on now be honest, 'collided with' or 'fell asleep on'?

In reply to #18

12/09/2014 5:56 AM

The dog helped.

It was dark, and I didn't know he was laying next to the stove.

Good Answers: 18

Re: How did Photons Escape Relativistic Effect of Dilation?

12/06/2014 10:39 PM

At this point, this is solely my opinion, and I welcome any learned explanations as to where I might be wrong.

It is said that photons exhibit the "properties" of both waves and mass. Since the ONLY time that we witness the "mass like" properties of a photon is when it interacts with something, which actually has mass.

I have always thought that it was the 'interaction itself', which has 'fooled us' into calling a 'Diamond' a 'Spade'; when, in actuality it only mimics the properties of a 'Spade'.

'Mass' has magnetic properties as a result of being made up of atoms. So, when a VERY FAST moving magnetic wave splats against a hunk of matter, which has it's own intrinsic magnetic properties, it is the 'RESULT' of the interaction, which consequently causes the mass to be understandably moved, or energized, thus expressing whatever 'evidence' is displayed to our sensors, which has caused us to even notice that something resembling a 'mass' to 'mass' reaction has happened.

As for a direct answer to the posters question, it is the TRUE absence of 'mass', which is THE factor that exempts photons from the relativistic fate, to which 'actual mass' is subject.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #16

12/06/2014 10:47 PM

A reasonable analogy/model for the weird world of quantum mechanics. Particularly when combined with the two stated and implied caveats that you know that it is not 100% accurate and nobody understands quantum mechanics to 100% accuracy.

12/08/2014 10:40 PM

What gave you the idea that photons escape any relativity effect? Since they have no rest mass the dilation of mass is a moot concern.

You are correct that light in some instances presents itself as a wave and in other circumstances as a particle. There is also the concept of light as wavicles in quantum mechanics. My point here is that despite our constant use and reliance on light, no single scientific theory of light predicts all aspects of the ubiquitous thing.

In reply to #19

12/09/2014 5:11 AM

That may be photons actually has mass in different reality but losses through surmounting velocity to become a wave. Just a wild speculation, though not so scientific at all.

Question, does mass also be dilated in the event approaching light speed?

Existence is defined by momentum = mass*velocity at absolute perspective when momentum is conserved and treating mass at an absolute value, you have only one way to go increasing velocity by losing mass.

In the same sense, may be photons in other reality losses mass to attain enormous speed or in the other way, what if photon's has really mass but dilated as well.

This may not be sound..but who knows.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Anonymous Poster (1); europium mkII (3); jack of all trades (1); JohnDG (1); kramarat (3); lyn (2); Noudge79 (4); redfred (3); Rixter (1); SWB123 (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: See That Comet   Next in Forum: Planets With Oxygen but No Water

Advertisement