Previous in Forum: Several Factors Affect The Investment Direction of Sawdust Dryer   Next in Forum: Waste Heat Conversion
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 33

Issue with Samsung S3 Phone

04/28/2015 8:15 AM

Hello! My Samsung S3 started acting weird: it got spontaneously off / a message saying "safe mode" appeared now and then on any menu.... until it got stoned.

After doing a "hard reboot" (removing the battery while the telephone is "on") instead of booting normally, a blinking "Samsung xx 19300" message appeared in white, on a black screen.

First I blamed the battery (low output), tried a new one, but symptoms remained unchanged.

Went to the service and they said they have to replace the battery and fix the software. This would take 1 hour... and quote for the repair was a 20% of what a new phone costs.

Searching the web, there are a lot of pages / videos showing how to "root" a phone with the same defect mine has.

Some do it directly from the phone, others download a program from the web.

So i decided to go the DIY way.... but was discouraged by some people, who had a friend, that had a friend who´s friend had done it ruining the phone forever.

Any experience in this field? Any advice?

FYI: phones are very expensive in my country. Next July I will make a trip to Europe and buy it there. (This was just for those who will recommend to throw it away and get a new one)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

Re: Issue with Samsung S3 Phone

04/28/2015 9:25 AM

I had the same issue recently with my S3.

I received the same response at the local T-Mobile shop.

In order to get it back in operation I had to take it to a different service shop where they accessed the phone, upgraded the firmware, then unlocked it and it has been operating well since.

I was not charged any fees for the service and I was told that the issue was caused by a firmware update that was pushed out wholesale to all S3 phones.

I would be very cautious of using anything available on the internet as there is a very large number of hackers hi-jacking personal cell phones to extract personal information and commit identity theft.

In reply to #1

04/28/2015 9:27 AM

So, this means I will have to pay? (cause it´s not free over here).....

Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122
In reply to #2

04/28/2015 9:44 AM

I would say yes based on your post.

This sort of piracy irks me to no end as it is prevalent throughout the IT industry.

Software vendors are allowed to push known imperfect updates without proving 100% compatibility and with no legal risk for the damage caused to equipment or for the monetary losses suffered by the user(s).

What better way to generate revenue than to hold your customers hostage?

I would go to your provider, ask to talk to a manager, and explain what is happening then ask why you are being charged for their services.

Based on what you find out it may be in your best interest to go with a different provider if available.

If there are no other providers available, it most likely would be best to upgrade the phone.

Good luck!

Good Answers: 1795
In reply to #1

04/28/2015 9:57 AM

This is how they force you to upgrade to a newer phone...The only defense is not to upgrade any software after the first 3 years or so...

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

04/28/2015 12:38 PM

Send it back.

Guru

Good Answers: 88

04/28/2015 1:43 PM

Rooting the phone is not much of a risk, actually you can root and un-root it by software that exploits a documented vunerability of android OS to allow rooting from un-rooted condition. The reverse of course is always possible. But installing new firmware is another, very risky thing, not so much because of the process, but because of possible hardware incopatibilities with new firmware that could easily brick your phone. Before thinking about firmware, have you done a hard reset? Keeping the on button depressed for something like 20 sec from off condition, enters a boot menu that includes self diagnosis and initialization of the phone. Specifics depend on model and OS version, but info on that is generally available and considered safe. Just as a precaution, remove phone and memory cards before.S.M.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 201
In reply to #6

04/29/2015 3:13 AM

GA

That sounds like a good move from here (though I don't have anything Samsung!!)

04/28/2015 2:07 PM

As there were inconsistensies between what the guy from the service would do on the phone (first it was replacing the batt and fixing the software). Then doing a repair on the motherboard and repalcing the battery. As I did not believe on any of his explanations I broght it back and did a "System Reset" (*) So far it seems to work....

(*)To access that menu, you have to press right button + menu button and volume + button simultaneously.

If it starts failing again, I will go for a new operative system

Guru

Good Answers: 36

04/28/2015 10:53 PM

Friends should not let friends phones get stoned.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 108
In reply to #8

04/29/2015 1:58 AM

Reminds me that instead of throwing the phone away you could use the two stone solution (not to be mistaken of a stoned phone).

Pretty simple: Put one stone under the phone . . . .

Good Answers: 30

04/29/2015 4:47 AM

I continue to be amazed at how effective a dumbphone is for the purpose of actually making phone calls. A paper notebook and pencil should satisfy most of your remaining needs on a smartphone until you get to Europe.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

04/29/2015 1:12 PM

24 hours have passed since I "rooted" the phone... and it works pretty well. During the first hours it got off by itself a couple of times, but it must have actualized something cause it looks stable now...

Conclussion 1:

The service guy cheated on me when he said a hardware component had to be replaced.

Conclussion 2:

The same guy also said the battery was half dead.... but it manages to survive 16 hours on a row under regular use!!!!

Conclussion 3:

Mobile phones services make a lot of money cheating on their customers!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #12

04/29/2015 1:42 PM

Most of what you wrote is true everywhere I been.....

These types of service industry, locksmiths (I was one for 7 months in 2007) are prime example of morally wrong companies....the overcharge dramatically and lie to drive up the price unnecessarily!!

I bet a few people here have been stung by locksmith companies, on a late night or weekend call out.....

Good Answers: 36

04/29/2015 5:46 PM

Service companies. Ya, nothing but a bunch of crooks. Can you imagine them charging extra for having to work on your equipment in the middle of the night( Long after they are normally closed) all because your kid brother locked the keys in the car by accident? They should charge the same rate, days, nights, weekends, holidays, winter, spring, summer or fall, shame on them ! Wait a second ! Service companies do and should charge extra for working outside of normal business hours, there is nothing immoral or unethical about that. It is what is known as " Emergency Services" .

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

04/30/2015 7:24 AM

If an "Emergency Service" charges more outside business hours, it is their right to do it, but they should inform in advance how much they charge for a given job.

In the case I describe, it is completely clear to me that the phone repair service cheated saying they had replace defective components of my phone, which proved to be not true , as I managed to bring it back to life following simple instructions on youtube.

I had to do it myself because I knew these guys were cheating on me, not because I wanted to save some bucks....

In reply to #14

04/30/2015 7:45 AM

I can state categorically that you have never been the victim of such a fraud, or you would not post in such a manner.......

Wait up Buddy!

Its not the charging more directly, its the sheer amounts charged!

15 minutes work (but do understand, we could open a door that was not locked, just closed and no key available, in 10 Seconds!! A minute for a difficult one! I can still do it 8 years later!!) 10 miles driven and more than €400 ($450) charged....and that was 8 years ago!! I have no idea what the want to charge nowadays here in Germany!!

The charges reflected are for up to 1 hours work!!

We were even shown how to drag out the time.....sell unneeded parts & equipment. Pull the lock out (it takes longer!) instead of simply pushing the bolt back with one of many tools....

Thats why there have been so many TV programs on US, UK and German TV exposing the fraudsters over the years.....and not just the locksmiths either....some can be seen on YouTube.

Look here for example:-

Locksmith Fraudsters

Please note that the examples here (at least the first few, I haven't checked them all), appear to be during the week in daytime!!! That is the LOWEST PRICES of the whole year!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Crabtree (1); IdeaSmith (1); phph001 (1); r&ddoc (4); SHOCKHISCAN (2); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (2)

Previous in Forum: Several Factors Affect The Investment Direction of Sawdust Dryer   Next in Forum: Waste Heat Conversion

Advertisement