Previous in Forum: SpaceX Launch Fail   Next in Forum: Elon Takes You on a Tour Inside Space X
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now?

06/29/2015 8:58 PM

some say US ONLY! whatcha think?http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-us-spurn-russia-rocket-engines-despite-spacex-195624668--finance.html

Russian RD-180 rocket engine or no way?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Should we use Russian Rockets for Launches Now?

06/30/2015 1:44 AM

Nah, we should stick to American stuff that blows up about 28 miles high.

(No, I am not really that cynical, but the juxtaposition seems ill-timed.)

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031
In reply to #1

06/30/2015 6:19 AM

What happened to the country that sent men to the moon in the 1960's?

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #2

06/30/2015 7:05 AM

They got bored in the 1970s.

Power-User

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #2

06/30/2015 10:52 PM

If you remember the early years of the U.S. space program we blew up a hell of a lot of rockets before von Braun and the other German rocket scientist got the problems worked out. Maybe the Internet wunderkinds aren't quite as brilliant as they think. Maybe need to get some more German rocket scientists since the last of the original complement just died.

Guru

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #2

06/30/2015 11:28 PM

Did they really land on the moon or it was a "movie"

In reply to #2

07/01/2015 3:35 AM

Do you really believe that US sent man to moon ?? This is the biggest lie that US continue to carry forward since too much time....

USA is the biggest liar country in the world

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #8

07/01/2015 7:13 AM

Welcome to CR4.

But it looks like you got lost and are in the wrong place.

Participant

In reply to #9

07/01/2015 8:20 AM

The comment it's really pertinent to the Argument....and it mean....if in 2015 the us it is not able to build a suitable rocket for the Space....how is possible that in 1969 reach to sent man on the moon ??

The title of post is "Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now? "...... obvious reference to the yet another catastrophic trial of space Rocket.......The US always boasted their scientific and technical superiority on the rest of the world ........ it's clear if you look in 2015 their catstrophic results in Rocket production suitable for space mission... and that they have Always boasted to have sent man on the moon in the 1969....so it means more than 45 years ago.....this is a clearly fake....

So....""Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now? "..... Yes...the US is not able to do !!!

Guru

In reply to #10

07/01/2015 8:44 AM

First, the idea that the Moon landing was faked is insulting and I really didn't want to devolve this conversation down to that level.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you have no right to expect that anyone should take it seriously - certainly not in an engineering/scientific forum. There are plenty of fringe groups and forums for that on the web, but you will receive no love here to further your point.

Second, CR4 is not a political forum. Yes, we have had our discussions, but your first post is too politically charged for what we discuss here.

Lastly, the argument really revolves around the current US space program and we are happy to entertain your contributions to this, but take your political hate somewhere else as CR4 is not the place for it.

We probably are in agreement with regard to the sorry state of the US space program (and to a lessor degree the ESA), but the root cause of that is due to a lack of a long term commitment and goal for NASA.

NASA is a government led organization and subject to the political winds of the day. That means that expensive programs like the Constellation get axed at the whims of Congress, which has little experience and understanding about NASA and where we should be going.

However, the largest factor in NASA's failure to maintain a direction is from the citizens themselves. After the early 1970s we simply became too self absorbed to pay attention to space exploration and the whole program has pretty much withered on the vine since.

The apathy that the public has in science in general has created a growing culture of ignorance, which is fine with the politicians that write policy for NASA. As long as the voting public can still understand how to pull a voting machine lever they will be okay with that.

Russia's interest in space is almost purely financial and they are happy to turn their old space program into a money making machine. It also adds international prestige, which is something they sorely need as they are struggling to be recognized as a viable player in the world of geopolitics.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Participant

In reply to #11

07/01/2015 9:38 AM

Sorry...let leave the point about man on the moon....you are too much american inside for admit that this is a big fake of the history and of the science... I'm an engineer....and there are million of engineer that agree on this.....at that time there was so many technichal obstacle to solve....that it was impossible to send man on the moon with the technology of this period.... recent and less recent catastrophic trial it show this......but let leave this discussion.....

My point is this....How is possible that the USA in 2015 does not have the technology and the capacity of build a suitable Rocket.... Once angain i would like to underline that we are in 2015.....

Once you learn to go to bike.... you can forget how to go in bike ? How long USA are launching program for build its Rocket ?? As minimum 5 years....

https://www.nasa.gov/news/media/trans/obama_ksc_trans.html

I would say to you....at this point it shoul be enough to apply the technoly and the project used 45 years ago for have better results......

Your reply it show the typical behaviour....we are USA...we are the Best.... please give Caesar what is Caesar....the USA Space Program have success in past...thanks to Scientists coming from all around the world..... it's not a USA home made emprovement.....the USA have put only money....

So reply to me.....why if in 1969 it was able to do..... in 2015 is not able anymore ?? And it's not true that NASA and USA has stopped their research and investement in the last years.....

For one time...please have the humility to say....we are not able to do...and we need the help of the other country..... it's so hard to admit that there are other country....other scientist...other nation that in some branch are better than you ???.... US is not the center of universe.....please .....

Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now? YES !!!

Guru

In reply to #12

07/01/2015 10:03 AM

1. The USA is the greatest country in the world thanks to the brightest and best minds immigrating to this country from all over the planet. You are exactly right and as a citizen with ancestors that migrated here I am proud of what 'we' have achieved and proud of our human race for those achievements. It really was an accomplishment for the sake of humanity. I tend to downplay humanity's dark side, but that's simply because I don't want to dwell in that sewer.

2. The reason we do not have a man-rated launch platform is not due to technological barriers. You are so wrong on that accord. Your premise that you are eluding to is that because we had a private rocket blow up upon launch proves that we do not have the technology necessary to achieve LEO is false.

Every nation has had recent catastrophic failures during the launch ascent phase. It is simply a risky business.

Technologically wise the USA has many different non-man-rated launch vehicles that have a long success record.

Unfortunately, there is no will to do more in this country and as a result we have a system that is nearly in shambles. There is a stark difference between the will to do something and the capability to do something.

It appears English is not your principle language, which is fine, but I just want to be sure you understand my answers.

Reply Good Answer (Score 7)
Participant

In reply to #13

07/01/2015 10:41 AM

Sorry....maybe i have start my discussion with the wrong foot...but upon my opinion....your reply is really the typical american reply...for have a constructive discussion....

You start to say.....

1. The USA is the greatest country in the world.......

If you start from this point.... and if you really believe this....we are really far from any emprovement...... I would like to remember....that the USA is also the responsible of some biggest error and injustice in all the human history.... (Iraq....Afganistanistan..... use twice time the Atomic Bomb on the poor habitant of Japan....also In Italy kill several people for give amusement to American pilot of jet... Chemtrail....etc...)....so the USA take the best brain from all the world....for make one of the worst thing of the world....

Nazism....Fascist.....Comunism are really orrible.....But the Americanism...is not better....

I live in Italy....and I can assure to you....that in the last 15 Years..... the situation is so bad changed...... thanks also to the USA POLITICAL .... We are the first country...all other country shall be slave of us....and your reply reflect this...

So i repeat once again....... if we make Refence to the title of Topic Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now? ...the reply is YES !!! it's the reality...in this moment there is no alternative....

I will close here my discussion : There should be many thing much more important than this....but as usual... lot of milliard spent for build somenthing that at the end will be used for some politycal scope and for have military advantages on the other country....Please take your democracy for you..... I don't want' that USA say to me what i have to eat....that i have to use OGM....that i have take on my country their arm... their soldier..... that if their bank have problem..... all refletc on the UE....that we have to attack this or that country...that we have to impose sanction (for how long time you have done this to CUBA???)

You believe to be the best example and the exporter of

democracy ...technology....etc....in all the world is USA.... take your democracy....take your fantastic innovation... and leave us to do what we want...

Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #14

07/01/2015 10:56 AM

If the USA left Italy to their own devices, you would be speaking German right now and so would the rest of Europe.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #14

07/01/2015 3:20 PM

Hey whatsamatter for you? Perchè non yo tornare a Napoli?

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031
In reply to #13

07/01/2015 12:24 PM

More than LEO, we'll be tooling past Pluto in a couple weeks!

Guru

Good Answers: 206
In reply to #12

07/02/2015 8:01 AM

I certainly wasn't expecting this type of a reply when I tossed that softball over the middle of the plate! we've had 3 recent failed missions, one of those was a Russian built rocket that began to lift off and experienced a turbo pump issue........it blew up and never got altitude. this forum is filled with people who admire Space X and their leadership. if their next launch were to also fail it wouldn't in the slightest move our support for this extremely innovative company.

your denial of the past is entertaining as well as disturbing. I wont challenge your statements because arguing with people that are crazy is a waste of time.

this was NOT a lunar mission, it was simply a restocking mission for the ISS no lives were lost and the telemetry that was received will provide the data needed to to pinpoint the issue of failure. Space X will certainly fly again with American technology powering the way

after the next launch please accept my invitation to return to this forum and we'll provide you with a few recipe's for crow.

Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

Re: Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now?

06/30/2015 2:16 PM

Trotsky, you must remove ignition instructions "lay on ground, light fuse, retire quickly" from rocket.

Is done sir, no Americans will suspect.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

06/30/2015 7:11 PM

Well it is the International Space Station.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Good Answers: 1

07/01/2015 12:10 PM

Personally I would love to see our country get back into NASA. It was a great program and brought about a lot of innovation, whether real or not....Ha Ha

Scrap the Russian engines and let get back to making thing at home.

In reply to #16

07/01/2015 1:05 PM

This is why I made a contribution to Buzz Aldrin's Share Space foundation. It works directly with young children to inspire them to become engineers and scientists.

The root problem is a lack of interest and the only place to start is with the children. If you instill a sense of curiosity and a love for exploration things will pan out fine.

Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

07/01/2015 12:22 PM

Why should this endeavor be any different from any different from any other good business decision:

Choose the supplier that delivers the best value per investment, that is how one maintains a sustainable business.

Some parameters to consider in esteeming best value would be:

Safety, cost, cost of use, availability, ease of use, reliability etc. I think 'country of origin' may be on the list but it would be very low on my list.

In reply to #17

07/01/2015 1:14 PM

Maybe not so low on the list.

When relationships strain then these kinds of things can be used as levers.

I'm not a xenophobe, but limiting one's entanglements in strategic places is important.

Anonymous Poster #1

07/01/2015 4:52 PM

10, 9, 8, 7 tenerlo! il suo tempo per mezzogiorno Chiuso per riposo - Chiuso per la siesta di mezzogiorno (noonish-3ish). Nota: se si dice chiuso per giorno di riposo (o una qualsiasi delle varianti nella voce successiva), vuol dire che sono chiusi tutto il giorno.

Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Reply to Forum Thread 23 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (6); Anonymous Poster (2); Davide Carotenuto (4); Fredski (1); Graycav (1); Massey (2); pnaban (1); Rixter (2); rlindey (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1); Unredundant (1)

Previous in Forum: SpaceX Launch Fail   Next in Forum: Elon Takes You on a Tour Inside Space X

Advertisement