Previous in Forum: Tomorrows Launch Time   Next in Forum: Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now?
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1725

SpaceX Launch Fail

06/28/2015 11:22 AM
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: SpaceX launch fail

06/28/2015 12:33 PM

Sadness.

At about 1:40 in the video, a little before the announcement of the vehicle going supersonic, I noticed flames seeming to lap up the base of the rocket. This might be normal or a false impression due to my eyes and/or camera angles. I was wondering if possibly the partial vacuum behind the forming shock wave might be drawing the flame up the body. I bring this up only because I do not remember seeing this effect before.

In reply to #1

06/28/2015 3:47 PM

Here flight #12, launching a satellite....looks the same I think....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CkuC-zl_N4

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

06/28/2015 8:57 PM

Thank you.

I saw a many similarities in the flame plumes that I mentioned, at a similar time in the transition to supersonic velocities. Because of the change in camera angles and difference in time of day (daylight vs. night) I'm not certain that this is or is not the root of their problem here. I gladly accept my observation from a you tube video is likely a red herring.

I leave this to the professionals to figure out WTF actually happened

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

06/28/2015 12:40 PM

"Hey, what does this red button do...?"

In reply to #2

06/28/2015 12:44 PM

The movie "Inside Out" has a big red button at the end, too.

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #2

06/28/2015 3:50 PM

It tests our insurance policy.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Re: SpaceX Launch Fail

06/28/2015 5:24 PM

How can they state a definitive burn time for the first stage? Wouldn't that depend on weight? In any case it looks like the second stage ignited prematurely.... Could this be a hack??

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

06/28/2015 5:28 PM

Air Force officials said the rocket "experienced an anomaly" 148 seconds into the flight.

Reminds me of the drug ads on TV: "Some fatal events have occurred."

Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #7

06/28/2015 6:44 PM

So lame! As the giant explosion and falling debris of the Challenger Shuttle rained down on the ocean, NASA said, "we have experienced an anomaly'.

It was pretty obvious the thing had exploded, in both cases.

Guru

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #8

06/28/2015 10:28 PM

Pretty abnormal when it explodes. But seems to become more frequently.

Is it just me or do we have more problems getting gear into space? This should have been a pretty basic launch.

Or was NASA testing new technology?

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

06/29/2015 8:09 AM

Looks like Cape Canaveral in the late 1950's to me. Haven't we already learned this before?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #11

06/29/2015 9:21 AM

NASA has, now it's the turn of Private Industry, since they want to do this on the cheap, and the last thing they want to do is spend money licensing NASA-held patents.

Look how much money they're saving! Think of how much it would have cost to keep that sattelite powered for the years it would be in orbit. What? Solar powered? Operating costs are all for ground stations, which monitor and link with multiple satelites?

(Gilda Radner voice) Nyever miiiind...

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #12

06/29/2015 9:24 AM

Private industry is always more efficient than government programs. Well at least the private industries that survive.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #13

06/29/2015 12:42 PM

Oh yeah, "The invisible hand of the free market" and all that.

The way things are SUPPOSED to go with a free market is "The companies that produce a quality product at a fair price attract the customers and thrive, those that fail to do so do not attract the customers and go under." The problems are A) when politics get involved, either by a company making policy decisions or public statements about political issues, then complaining when the customers that do not share the opinion on those issues choose to do business somewhere else, or when a company actively engages the politicians to pass regulations than make the market less free and more tilted in favor of one business over its competition, or B) when a (typically) company uses unfair business practices to gain an edge over the competition, and after 'clearing the market,' lowers quality and increases prices, all while complaining about 'government interference' when policies are being brought up to undo the damage the company has done.

I know a lot of people hate Big Government, however, loathsome as it may be, it's out only real ally against the tyranny of Big Business. (Except for the times that Big Gov screws over We, the People because they've been bribed by Big Biz, but that's more a failing in the corrupt little poopie-stains that pass for politicians these days.)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #14

06/29/2015 1:28 PM

I'm glad to see that you recognized my sarcasm.

In reply to #15

06/29/2015 2:21 PM

Yeah, sorry if I went a little 'soapboxy' on my response.

I try to keep politics (and religion) out of my comments, they tend to just cause arguments, but with all the over-saturation we're getting as lead-up for the 2016 elections, it's becoming clear that there just aren't enough bullets to shoot ALL the idiots trying to run the country- politics and religion are becoming a part of every aspect of life, especially when a pizza parlor and a corporate-run craft store chain can claim that they don't have to follow laws due to 'religious convictions.'

But Musk isn't going into religion or politics with SpaceX, so all my free-market and corporate personhood ranting is completely out of place here. Personally, I wish Musk all the best, and hope that SpaceX has a long and fruitful corporate existence, for as long as they can deliver a quality product (safe, efficient launches) at a fair price (and their cost per pound for launching is actually pretty good, they're beating out a lot of the European launch companies).

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Reply to Forum Thread 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (3); IdeaSmith (1); lyn (1); Phys (1); redfred (5); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); tcmtech (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Tomorrows Launch Time   Next in Forum: Should We Use Russian Rockets for Launches Now?

Advertisement