Previous in Forum: Which Way to Turn?   Next in Forum: Automatic Aerated Compost Tea Brewery (Works so Far)
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 8

"Waterflea" Filter Clears a Green Algae "Pea Soup" Fishpond

08/15/2015 12:30 PM

Hi, I have a tiny fishpond with a few goldfish and since about a week after putting them in the water turned green and I never saw them again except at feeding time. I tried all sorts of solutions but every one of them failed. This year I used a 1.3 rain barrel as an upper (fish free) chamber and a little airlift pump to move water up to it, to let the big crud settle. It did not work great. However I added a few waterfleas. About 3 weeks later the water was clear! It seems that the waterfleas have gobbled up all the green soup and now they are not only acting as a cheap filter but also occasionally dropping through the outlet and becoming fish food. I don't know if other people have done this or how long it will last or how big a water area it can clear but it may be of interest to some of you. I hope so. I read up after doing this and found out that some commercial growers of waterfleas (as tropical fish fishfood) actually keep goldfish so they have a supply of green water as waterflea food! Not sure why they did not just link the 2 systems. Anyway here is a link to the video. You can see the waterfleas in the video. They are daphnia or a close relative. I got them from a local pond. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4ppD2MErI

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: "Waterflea" filter clears a green algae "pea soup" fishpond

08/15/2015 12:56 PM
Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #1

Re: "Waterflea" filter clears a green algae "pea soup" fishpond

08/15/2015 10:54 PM

zooplankton perhaps. Great!!!

Good Answers: 774

Re: "Waterflea" Filter Clears a Green Algae "Pea Soup" Fishpond

08/15/2015 2:37 PM

So you must be related to my wife being she also prefers to take all her pictures and videos upside down as well.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8

08/15/2015 4:15 PM

Pictures messed up but I made a video of the little guys. I think there are 2 kinds. Since I put them in, a little algal "grass" has grown on the sides of the barrel and I think they mostly stay in it. The fish often wait under the exit pipe for any unfortunate waterflea that gets washed away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Exf53ez4Zs

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #3

08/15/2015 7:14 PM

Neat little biology experiment there but if you want to be taken seriously learning how to hold your camera so that your YouTube videos and pictures come out looking right side up to the rest of the world would do you wonders.

Just ask my wife how many high end professional architectural and design jobs she has gotten from sending photos and video resumes to prospective clients upside down. 0!

I mean really would you hire a architect or designer who appears to constantly have no clue what side of a camera needs to be up to make their pictures and videos appear normal side up to the average person?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gaiatechnician (1); Kulas (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (2)

Previous in Forum: Which Way to Turn?   Next in Forum: Automatic Aerated Compost Tea Brewery (Works so Far)

Advertisement