Previous in Forum: Loop Seal Pressure Increased   Next in Forum: Fire Fighting Pipe Network Sizing
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

No Ideas of Laser Alignment Positioning on Cloths Cutting Table

09/08/2015 7:51 AM

It has been more than one month from my old red alignment laser stopped work. I want to select a positioning laser to project down onto a table from above. Laser light should be very bright, and need a bright straight line laser.

I am considering to make line projection with this 532nm green line laser alignment here:

http://www.berlinlasers.com/532nm-green-line-projecting-laser-alignment

The laser line is at one end of the table, and the laser is x' off the table. The line needs to be visible entire the length of table. It should be pointed continuously, and last a very long time. The laser is about half way down looking back at it.

However, I get test result from laser supplier, the maximum green line length is 6 meters. This green line laser module is obvious not a correct choice. Someone else even recommend me rotary laser, however, it there anyone else have better suggestion?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: No Ideas of Laser Alignment Positioning on Cloths Cutting Table

09/08/2015 9:46 AM

A lot of people worry about green lasers because idiots often use green laser pointers to annoy aircraft flying at night. People then accuse the green lasers of being unsafe.

In actuality, green lasers are no more dangerous than red lasers. Actually, less so. If you compare a red laser and a green laser of equal visual brightness, the green laser is actually putting out far fewer watts of power. This is because the eye is much more sensitive to green light - less power is needed to achieve the same brightness.

The laser shown in the URL you provided includes a 'fan' spread option of 5 to 120 degrees. If the red laser you had been using worked in a similar fashion, then the green laser should work as well, if not better.

Before you experiment with a new set-up though, you might try contacting the manufacturer of the old red laser or the manufacturer of the cutting table, to see if they sell replacement lasers. I don't know how accurate your cutting system has to be, but you might save yourself a lot of calibration time and wasted expense if you can just replace the burned-out laser with a drop-in replacement unit.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

09/08/2015 10:01 AM

You might also contact a company like MEMS Optical. They make holographic beam shapers and microlens arrays. They might have a lens array that will spread your green laser beam across the table in a manner that will suit your needs.

http://www.memsoptical.com/prodserv/products/microlensar.htm

Guru

Good Answers: 1751

09/08/2015 1:10 PM
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #3

09/08/2015 3:06 PM

S.E.

Excellent reply!

GA!!!

In reply to #3

09/08/2015 6:23 PM

How do you do that? As always your guns are always polished. I'm afraid i'll cast a vote for that.

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19
In reply to #5

09/08/2015 8:21 PM

Hell I can answer that question "How do you do that?".

SE is GOOD!!!

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Legolaz (1); Original_Macgyver (1); SolarEagle (1); Usbport (2); Wrench twirler (1)

Previous in Forum: Loop Seal Pressure Increased   Next in Forum: Fire Fighting Pipe Network Sizing

Advertisement