Previous in Forum: Still Not Getting CR4 - Will it Be Due to Switching Overt to MS Word 10 ?   Next in Forum: How to View Supplier Notes on IHS Engineering 360
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Active Contributor

Ethics Rules for Answering Others

09/19/2015 7:58 AM

I have been subscribing into electrical engineering forums since I started my college. But to tell the truth, some people in this forum are presenting it in a deadly selfish frame. I meant those who are insulting others when they ask for something which is deeply technical. I asked myself, why they're behaving in this way?! Are they doing so to prevent others to offer the information which they do not want to offer... Are they suffering from a physiological problems? Are they awfully selfish? ... If they are so, I would suggest them to unsubscribe and leave others learn in peace.......

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: ethics
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: Ethics rules for answering others

09/19/2015 8:08 AM

Did you just start college?

How long have you been using the internet?

Just about every forum on the planet has some degree of hostility on it. If you fail to understand that you will get a better picture after one or two psychology courses.

All sarcasm aside, most of the hostility spurs from anonymous posters that wear hoods like some internet terrorist to hide their identity, pour flammable liquid in their wake, and carelessly toss a lit match on their way out just to warm their twisted psyche.

Or... someone comes on here to try to get someone to do their homework problem for them. Those are the worst.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 206

09/19/2015 8:09 AM

what are you whining about? I just read your threads, you've had quality responses from a few of the better members. if you're looking for a friend, buy a dog

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

09/19/2015 8:32 AM

Yea, I got some valuable answers in this forum during my short period of subscribing and i am ready to share info when the question is touching my field. But I meant those very few members (probably two or three) who offend others... That really hurts...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #3

09/19/2015 8:59 AM

Well ever since they switched over to pay toilets here..... well you know,

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

09/19/2015 9:22 AM

Sounds so ��

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #3

09/19/2015 8:59 AM

In a technical world, bad or excessively naïve ideas are more offensive than abrupt manners.

In reply to #5

09/19/2015 9:19 AM

Tornado, I agree with you but first it is not easy to judge bad ideas through very simple questions. Even if ideas are judged to be bad, they shall not be faced by offending their persons.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #6

09/19/2015 1:45 PM

Mark.....

You are still a student (as I was once).

Bear in mind - those who answer questions have (mostly) been in the position of daily signing off designs or preparation for maintenance as safe or writing or giving instructions, for which they are responsible, which should be clear and not open to misunderstanding. My impression is that CR4 respondents take this as a moral responsibility before any statutory obligation.

A lot of health and safety regulations can be summarised as a) Someone must always be blamed other than the victim b) No cost or lawyers fees shall be spared in achieving a). So those whose names are on the paperwork get an aversion to suggesting actions based on little information and no feedback.

When someone [unknown] asks a question in a few lines about something lethal (without evidence they can state the necessary facts clearly), I can forgive poster's bluntness in declining an answer which would require far more time, length and effort than went into the question; plus "crystal ball gazing" and health warnings. I write as one who tries harder than some to see a desire for knowledge, rather than "an answer" and apply patience.

Never risking offending anyone can have awful consequences if continually applied to the incompetent or negligent regardless of circumstances. It can become a habit of finding an excuse for any lack of understanding or empathy - or an excuse for incompetence. It is well that CR4 has a variety of tolerance.

67model

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #12

09/20/2015 8:59 AM

Yes,Model67. It became so clear to me, and I became on the same page with you now. Apologies for my first misunderstanding.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #3

09/19/2015 1:39 PM

"That really hurts..."

And you are going to be an engineer?

Ha! Just wait for your first real design review.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Ethics Rules for Answering Others

09/19/2015 11:05 AM

When people who are, by the very nature of their question, demonstrably incompetent to perform a dangerous (deadly) operation such as joining a 140 KVA existing supply with a 250 KVA supply, I would NEVER give them advice.

Neither should you. Lives depend on how these things are accomplished and giving a novice the means by which to kill people is never a good engineering practice.

The results of such irresponsible advice can be seen below.

If you want to give these people advice then you are an irresponsible fool, and very well could be contributing to someone's death.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 150

09/19/2015 12:53 PM

I think If you continue on CR4 you will realize that the quality of replies by our members is directly related to the quality of the questions presented to us.

Vague, poorly worded questions, lacking any necessary background information, using unknown abbreviations, will not be well received. We do not like playing 20 questions with a poster in order to find out what he is really asking and why he is asking. We don"t want to say anything that could place the poster or others in danger if thy do not understand what we are telling them.

Another problem we have here, because we are an international site, is that many questions are presented by individuals who have limited literacy in English. Most of us do the best that we can to interpret these questions, but misunderstandings are inevitable.

Finally, unfortunately, there are certain individuals who have come to CR4 with the need to make irrelevant and often insulting comments to every post. These individuals do not represent the long standing membership of this forum, and should just be ignored.

In reply to #9

09/19/2015 1:43 PM

"I think If you continue on CR4 you will realize that the quality of replies by our members is directly related to the quality of the questions presented to us."

They used to call that garbage in, garbage out in the old days of software development.

Now it seems recycling has taken over.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); Anonymous Hero (3); Fredski (1); gringogreg (1); lyn (1); Mark1234567 (4); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Still Not Getting CR4 - Will it Be Due to Switching Overt to MS Word 10 ?   Next in Forum: How to View Supplier Notes on IHS Engineering 360

Advertisement