Previous in Forum: Rotameter Float Position Sensing by Non-contact Way   Next in Forum: PLC Processor's Working Memory
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

Time Sync

10/08/2015 2:00 PM

There is method of synchronization of Laptop time with the International NIST time. But it is upto 1 second resolution only.

Is there any method to sync it to milliseconds ?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: computer time
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 774

Re: Time Sync

10/08/2015 3:03 PM

Why?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

10/08/2015 3:14 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140

10/08/2015 4:20 PM

While I do not know where your interest comes from, one would think that the synching to your LOCAL time reference would be more important then having your local time be fully synched (to milliseconds) to a remote loaction.

Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 75

10/08/2015 5:06 PM

No, and you wouldn't want to. Any process that requires that type of resolution shouldn't be auto-sync'ed anyway. And are you going to account for internal buss speeds and software reaction times?

However... if you let us know what you're trying to do, or accomplish - maybe we can provide a recommendation for a feasible/viable solution.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #4

10/08/2015 7:49 PM

Excellent answer!

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

10/09/2015 1:38 AM

Please see my comment no. 8 for ... why I need it

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038

10/08/2015 8:51 PM

Maybe a WWVB receiver with a serial interface:

http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/ulio/m325ds.pdf

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

10/09/2015 12:46 AM

How about 200ps? "...The NIST servers listen for a NTP request on port 123, and respond by sending a udp/ip data packet in the NTP format. The data packet includes a 64-bit timestamp containing the time in UTC seconds since January 1, 1900 with a resolution of 200 ps..."

Not quite sure what good that resolution will do you unless you have a laptop running a real-time OS and you account for all the possible transmission and data handling delays, but for more information and some software go to this site:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

The alternative is to use a GPS to access the satellite data stream for their clock data.

10/09/2015 1:36 AM

I am looking for this accuracy, as I want to observe and record the astronomy events in the sky like occultations. The timing to milliseconds accuracy is very important to us.

In fact, I would like one step ahead, and want to time stamp the video I want to shoot. Every frame of the video should get time stamp to milliseconds accuracy.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #8

10/12/2015 8:18 AM

What nonsense. The earth's day varies by +/-11 milliseconds depending on which way the wind is blowing across the Andes!

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 92

10/09/2015 4:12 AM

Atomic Clock Sync adjusts your PC time to match the NIST atomic clock, don't know the accuracy. I use another sync programme which, as far as it's display is concerned, adjusts to millisecond accuracy. The PC seems to deviate from this adjusted time quite quickly. Can't remember the name but I will check this evening.

In reply to #10

10/09/2015 5:36 PM

The programme I couldn't remember is Chronograph.

In reply to #14

10/12/2015 1:57 PM

This also has only precision of 1 second.... not to milliseconds

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

10/13/2015 4:15 AM

When adjustment is made the time difference is displayed in milliseconds but that does not prove that the adjustment is that accurate.

Good Answers: 1

10/09/2015 8:32 AM

I found that GPS time is accurate to the second to better than 100ns but you do have to correct for accumulated leap seconds since the system was started. I think the accumulated leap seconds is currently 19. All this can be verified with a little general searching [I spent about 8 seconds]

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - AC9JZ extra

Good Answers: 9

10/09/2015 12:32 PM

Try WWV. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_(radio_station)

Good Answers: 1

10/09/2015 2:02 PM

I believe that that 1 second is accurate to less than 100ns. It is a 1 second beat with less than 100ns error.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Crabtree (1); gsuhas (3); JavaHead (1); jhotmer (2); lyn (1); Mike Proctor (1); Mikerho (1); Nigh (3); North of 60 (1); RAMConsult (1); Rixter (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Rotameter Float Position Sensing by Non-contact Way   Next in Forum: PLC Processor's Working Memory

Advertisement