Previous in Forum: Tesla is Smoking Hot!!   Next in Forum: This Should Happen
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

Houdille Shocks: Any Experience, Leads or Tips?

01/02/2016 1:36 PM

I'm thinking of using Houdille shocks on the front of my hot rod. I've found a place that deals in them, five points classic auto shocks, and will talk to them next week.

Anyone have experience with these shocks? I think they would be OK on the street for my car with 800# suspended weight on the front. Would like adjustability.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: auto car houdille shocks
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Re: Houdille shocks: any experience, leads or tips?

01/02/2016 1:54 PM

Should be Houdaille.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

01/02/2016 1:58 PM

Great for that traditional look from the 20's through the 50's....

http://www.hotroddisorder.com/2011/05/houdaille-shocks-pretty-easy-to-use.html

In reply to #2

01/02/2016 2:21 PM

Great link! Thanks!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

01/02/2016 2:53 PM

As long as it passes its annual MoT Test inspection with impunity, no problem.

In reply to #4

01/02/2016 3:06 PM

I watch Wheeler Dealers and they are always fretting the MOT. What is it? Like a Limey gestapo for cars?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #5

01/02/2016 3:28 PM

It is a legal requirement to have a current MoT Test certificate for any vehicle over 3 years old that is to be used on the roads in the UK. The only exceptions are for historic vehicles above a certain age, which varies with vehicle type, electric-only vehicles, unpowered vehicles, and combustion-engine vehicles proceeding to or away from a pre-booked inspection. It is a declaration by the Assessor that the vehicle's construction and maintenance complies with the legal requirements for safety on public roads, and is intended to prevent the prevalence of gung-ho attitudes to safety.

For more information please use Wikipedia, for there is an article on the topic.

Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 14

Re: Houdille Shocks: Any Experience, Leads or Tips?

01/03/2016 2:25 PM

Hello SSCpal; haven't heard whats happening to your ride for a while. Sounds like progress on the throttle body has been completed? Do you do a lot of highway cruising when you go to events? Highway speeds would be the only thing that might worry me as this type of friction / knee action shock may not keep up with road surface if it gets a little bumpy. I think that was the original reasoning for going to tube shocks in the late 30's or 40's not sure of when the last year they were used on production vehicles. I do remember seeing a few used up to the late 60's on street rod drag cars, just not a lot on true street cars as the ride quality was much better with the tube shocks or coil-over versions.

In reply to #7

Re: Houdaille Shocks: Any Experience, Leads or Tips?

01/03/2016 4:11 PM

I have all the parts to build the electronic thr

ottle (throttle body, pedal assy and PID-on-a-board), but FAST (the EFI folks) say they are coming out with one in Spring 2016, so I'm moving that project to the bottom of my list. It is fascinating, but time gets ever more precious.

You know, the Houdailles are a hydraulic unit and adjustable, and apparently did a pretty good job, even being used in racing. I have never had front shocks on my hot rod, which is not a problem around town, but am planning a 1000 mile trip on the Interstate and thought I should maybe add them. The Houdailles are attractive and would fit well with my 4-bar tube axle and leaf spring:

Those black units attached to each steering arm are adjustable steering dampers made for motorcycles. No one makes a nice one for cars.

Somehow got the pic stuck in that position, so have to read around it!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

Re: Houdaille Shocks: Any Experience, Leads or Tips?

01/04/2016 7:10 AM

You might also think about a set up like some of the Indy cars use laying the shocks side ways with cantilevered mounts so you don't have to weld on to the frame.

01/05/2016 5:11 PM

Well, I ordered yesterday from Five Points and will update when I get them.

Register to Reply
Guru

05/20/2016 10:41 AM

I have the shocks:

Pretty things; gotta have a little bling.

and this is how they will mount:

That's a 3/16 angle iron. Mocked up:

Angle bolts to frame, shock arm parallel to lower 4-bar and attaches at bat wing. I've slotted the ends of the arms to allow for the slight change in length as the axle moves vertically. And using some slick bushings of sintered bronze from bronzebushings.com. All sizes, self-lubricating, and no minimum order. Nice folks.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

05/20/2016 1:09 PM

Don't forget to add a brace under the angle bracket to stop the flex that over time will cause it to crack in the corner of the angle. I did that on one of my trailers for a shock mount and after a few years it developed a crack after I welded it back together I added a simple triangle underneath the bracket on both sides of the bolt. It has not been an issue for 6 years and no sign of any potential problems either.

In reply to #12

06/12/2016 1:30 PM

The finished install:

They made a big improvement in front end control. No more wheel dance. Potholes are now a non-issue. Duke, I don't weld, but I can add bracing between the frame bolts and the shock bolts. Using grade 8 hardware now, but thinking of ARP SS stuff, supposed to be even stronger.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/12/2016 4:35 PM

Good clean install I have come to expect that from you but you might rethink not adding an angular brace to the back of the mount just in case. And since it bolts on it should be very little trouble to get a local welder to add the brace on the back where no body will see it just as a precaution but since you don't put a lot of miles on this one you may be right it is not necessary. Oh yea want to up date you on my new aquesition. I found in a garage a 1969 AMX 390 4 Speed car with 28,514 miles on it. A proverbial barn find if there ever was, they did not know the car was in the garage they thought it was a work bench piled up with parts as they saw no wheels. The wheels were stacked up in the corner of the garage, And the car was covered in a large persion carpet I just remembered the car being in the driveway a few years earlier (8) to be exact. Don't ask me how I remembered it I just did, since I wanted one since I was 18 is probably why I did remember it. He drove the car exactly 2 miles in all the time he owned it. Just from the original owners house to his then into the garage. It was funny how I found out it was up for sale. Truthfully they had no idea the car was there. My wife and a friend which was a neighbor of the gentleman were out to dinner, and was asked to see if I could find a buyer for the Golf GTI, Nissan Sentra coupe, and an Aerostar van. I then asked about the AMX and she looked at me as if I was looney and said what AMX? I just remembered all that time it was there. We worked a deal we could both live with and I took it home where I am putting it back to where it was from the factory with a fiberglass seat on the driver side and a stock seat on the passenger side with race belts on driver side only no provision for them on passenger side at all. We believe it was a showroom stock SCCA car but are not completely sure until we check with the SCCA timing association. Well until next time you have a great time driving yours for a long time. Duke,

In reply to #14

06/13/2016 1:27 AM

Yep, I'm gonna add a brace in the Fall. The shocks are adjustable and I'm finding the sweet spot now. Have some long trips coming. Lincoln NE, 450 miles, next week and Indy, 600 miles, next month. I like to hit the road and see what's out there. And the bucket now handles almost like the family sedan.

An AMX! The stories behind barn finds are unique and always fun. Send pics.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #15

06/13/2016 9:43 AM

Lincoln NE, What event there or visiting family, and Good Guys in Indy? You will have a lot of fun in Indy people are great and helpful if you are in need.

In reply to #16

06/13/2016 7:49 PM

Not familier with the Arnold Bristols, And what venue for the T Bucket Nats O'Riley Raceway Park?

In reply to #17

06/14/2016 10:48 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnolt I know the son of the guy who made them. Very rare and very $$$

T Bucket Nats at some hotel: http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=2665

Guru

In reply to #18

06/14/2016 11:54 AM

Its west of the Speedway about three miles just outside of the interstate right on a lake / old gravel pit nice place though, at least it was the last time I was out that way. I use to work just west of there in Clairmont near O'Riley Raceway Park. Have a great time and I just might get time to come out and see you there and check out the great ride. P.S. have you noticed the spell check has gone away I can't use those $1.00 words without it, as my disleyia makes them a total scramble to me. Oh well back to simple language, it works best for us of simple minded thoughts.

In reply to #19

06/14/2016 1:31 PM

Yes, come check it out! Sat 6/25 is the big show. We usually have about 100 buckets.

Guru

In reply to #20

06/14/2016 6:00 PM

I think you misunderstood me. I was speaking of Indy not Nebraska. I know it gets lonely out there but I just don't have the time to travel out there. Well maybe in a few years when I throw in the towel and just retire to have some fun. Thinking of doing Power Tour next year with the turbo car if I can finish it, with having surgery on my neck and back I am not too sure it will all come together on time, but were going to try. You have a great cruise next week and a safe trip home.

In reply to #21

06/15/2016 9:16 AM

I had a senior moment! Nats is july 8-9, assuming I don't flame out on the Lincoln trip. Surgery...ouch. Hope it goes smooth.

Guru

In reply to #22

06/15/2016 9:38 AM

Me too C7 - T1. Tried earlier this year, they told me to drop off of all meds a few days before and low and behold my sugars went to over 300 the morning of, just as they strapped me to table some one comes in and says can't do it with sugars that high. Already drugged out of my head they sent me home and have had a really hard time getting them back under control. My wife really loved trying to get me out of the car in that condition, had to call daughter to help as I was not in any shape to help.

In reply to #23

06/15/2016 10:24 AM

Don't know your situation, but my son has spinal stenosis and the doc says they can now fix it with a 1" incision and a laser. Quite a change from the old days.

Guru

In reply to #24

06/15/2016 11:10 AM

The will go in the throat remove the disk then install a bird cage they call it and fuse it all together then pat me on the rump and send me home to recoupperate for two weeks. Then two weeks with collar when in car or truck while riding, no driving for at least a month. Then I can do pretty much what I feel like I can do just no heavy lifting for 6 months then start to work up from there. Guess I will have to call granddaughter to help me for a while since she is not working and borrowing money form her grandmother that she thinks I don't know about, so it is time to collect on the grandparent thing and have fun doing it. It also means that we get a great-grandkid fix more often, Great grandma will love it as she just loves them to pieces.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

LOCKDUKE (10); PWSlack (2); SolarEagle (1); SSCpal (12)

Previous in Forum: Tesla is Smoking Hot!!   Next in Forum: This Should Happen

Advertisement